'could not open session' - Redhat

This is a discussion on 'could not open session' - Redhat ; I've just done an upgrade from RHEL3 to 4, and have run into the strangest thing. I can't log in from the console. Every login attempt with the correct password gives the message 'could not open session'. I can ssh ...

  1. 'could not open session'

    I've just done an upgrade from RHEL3 to 4, and have run into the strangest
    thing.

    I can't log in from the console. Every login attempt with the correct password
    gives the message 'could not open session'.

    I can ssh in, and enter a username and password. But from there, I can't su to
    anybody - root, or another user. 'could not open session'.

    Booting to single user mode gives me root, but as soon as I do a su - you
    guessed it.

    I can do a sudo.

    I enabled telnet, just to see what happens:

    login: tim
    Password:

    Permission denied
    Connection closed by foreign host.

    Permission problem, I think - but _where_??
    --
    tim boyer
    tim@denmantire.com

  2. Re: 'could not open session'

    Tim Boyer wrote:
    > I've just done an upgrade from RHEL3 to 4, and have run into the strangest
    > thing.
    >
    > I can't log in from the console. Every login attempt with the correct password
    > gives the message 'could not open session'.
    >
    > I can ssh in, and enter a username and password. But from there, I can't su to
    > anybody - root, or another user. 'could not open session'.
    >
    > Booting to single user mode gives me root, but as soon as I do a su - you
    > guessed it.
    >
    > I can do a sudo.
    >
    > I enabled telnet, just to see what happens:
    >
    > login: tim
    > Password:
    >
    > Permission denied
    > Connection closed by foreign host.
    >

    > Permission problem, I think - but _where_??

    Tim,

    I would first look for the pam modules.

    Greetings,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  3. Re: 'could not open session'

    On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 10:27:58 +0200, Jan Gerrit Kootstra
    wrote:

    >Tim Boyer wrote:
    >> I've just done an upgrade from RHEL3 to 4, and have run into the strangest
    >> thing.
    >>
    >> I can't log in from the console. Every login attempt with the correct password
    >> gives the message 'could not open session'.
    >>
    >> I can ssh in, and enter a username and password. But from there, I can't su to
    >> anybody - root, or another user. 'could not open session'.
    >>
    >> Booting to single user mode gives me root, but as soon as I do a su - you
    >> guessed it.
    >>
    >> I can do a sudo.
    >>
    >> I enabled telnet, just to see what happens:
    >>
    >> login: tim
    >> Password:
    >>
    >> Permission denied
    >> Connection closed by foreign host.
    >>

    >> Permission problem, I think - but _where_??

    >Tim,
    >

    >I would first look for the pam modules.
    >

    >Greetings,
    >

    >Jan Gerrit Kootstra

    Yup, I did. Syslog is logging successful attempts, so it can't be pam - that
    just handles authentication. But just to be sure, I've got three identical
    systems here - I moved the modules from a working one over.

    --
    tim boyer
    tim@denmantire.com

  4. Re: 'could not open session'

    Hi,

    On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 23:48:33 -0400, Tim Boyer wrote:

    > I've just done an upgrade from RHEL3 to 4, and have run into the strangest
    > thing.
    >
    > I can't log in from the console. Every login attempt with the correct password
    > gives the message 'could not open session'.
    >
    > I can ssh in, and enter a username and password. But from there, I can't su to
    > anybody - root, or another user. 'could not open session'.
    >
    > Booting to single user mode gives me root, but as soon as I do a su - you
    > guessed it.
    >
    > I can do a sudo.
    >
    > I enabled telnet, just to see what happens:
    >
    > login: tim
    > Password:
    >
    > Permission denied
    > Connection closed by foreign host.
    >

    > Permission problem, I think - but _where_??

    Not sure whether it may help, but with RHEL4 you have SElinux enabled by
    default (however only the targeted policy). But I have been
    running into problems by restoring a RHEL4 system by no longer being able
    to login, so I had to disable SElinux (and could login).

    So try to disable SElinux at the boot prompt by adding a selinux=0 as a
    kernel parameter.

    hth, gk

  5. Re: 'could not open session'

    On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 18:53:25 +0000 (UTC), "Georg Klein" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 23:48:33 -0400, Tim Boyer wrote:
    >
    >> I've just done an upgrade from RHEL3 to 4, and have run into the strangest
    >> thing.
    >>
    >> I can't log in from the console. Every login attempt with the correct password
    >> gives the message 'could not open session'.
    >>
    >> I can ssh in, and enter a username and password. But from there, I can't su to
    >> anybody - root, or another user. 'could not open session'.
    >>
    >> Booting to single user mode gives me root, but as soon as I do a su - you
    >> guessed it.
    >>
    >> I can do a sudo.
    >>
    >> I enabled telnet, just to see what happens:
    >>
    >> login: tim
    >> Password:
    >>
    >> Permission denied
    >> Connection closed by foreign host.
    >>

    >> Permission problem, I think - but _where_??

    >Not sure whether it may help, but with RHEL4 you have SElinux enabled by
    >default (however only the targeted policy). But I have been
    >running into problems by restoring a RHEL4 system by no longer being able
    >to login, so I had to disable SElinux (and could login).
    >
    >So try to disable SElinux at the boot prompt by adding a selinux=0 as a
    >kernel parameter.
    >
    >hth, gk

    Worth a shot - thanks much!

    --