Re: usb mass storage - Redhat

This is a discussion on Re: usb mass storage - Redhat ; You CAN NOT format a USB Drive as NTFS and have it read under Fedora LINUX. Guaranteed. Been there, done that. You have to reformat it using a hard disk utility , and it has to be formatted FAT 32. ...

  1. Re: usb mass storage

    You CAN NOT format a USB Drive as NTFS and have it read under Fedora LINUX.
    Guaranteed.

    Been there, done that.

    You have to reformat it using a hard disk utility , and it has to be
    formatted FAT 32.

    Your drive will then be recognized for READ/WRITE. I think if its NTFS you
    may only be able to READ off of it, ONLY if your lucky.

    But just do that and you should be fine.. REFORMAT FAT32. I used my Seagate
    utlity to do it. Its a little tricky witht he partitioning bit, but you can
    do it.

    "J" wrote in message
    news:Eb2dnf9TNIHwrEHenZ2dnUVZ_tCdnZ2d@adelphia.com ...
    > Fedora Core 4.
    > I use a "Digital Intelligence: UltraBlock" forensic write blocker. which
    > is
    > a usb mass storage to IDE bridge.
    > My 1 GB flash drive shows up when I plug it in - and works. The
    > UltraBlock
    > attached to 20G HD (NTFS) does not.
    > The 20G has windows 2000 installed on it = ntfs. It's trying to use it as
    > vfat - can't. Ultrablock on fedora works with VFAT HDs.
    > The UltraBlock w/ 20G NTFS works in windows.
    >
    > Anyone have a solution?
    >
    > dmesg:
    > SELinux: initialized (dev sdb1, type vfat), uses genfs_contexts
    > usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
    > scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    > usb-storage: device found at 2
    > usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
    > Vendor: QUANTUM Model: FIREBALLlct20 20 Rev: APL.
    > Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 04
    > SCSI device sdc: 39876480 512-byte hdwr sectors (20417 MB)
    > sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
    > SCSI device sdc: 39876480 512-byte hdwr sectors (20417 MB)
    > sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
    > sdc: sdc1 sdc2
    > Attached scsi disk sdc at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    > Attached scsi generic sg2 at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0, type 0
    > usb 2-1: reset full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
    > usb 2-1: device descriptor read/64, error -110
    > usb 2-1: device descriptor read/64, error -110
    > usb 2-1: reset full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
    > usb 2-1: device descriptor read/64, error -110
    > usb 2-1: device descriptor read/64, error -110
    > usb 2-1: reset full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
    > usb 2-1: device descriptor read/8, error -110
    > usb 2-1: device descriptor read/8, error -110
    > usb 2-1: reset full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
    > usb 2-1: device descriptor read/8, error -110
    > usb 2-1: device descriptor read/8, error -110
    > usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 2
    > scsi: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery: host 1 channel 0
    > id
    > 0 lun 0
    > scsi1 (0:0): rejecting I/O to offline device
    > scsi1 (0:0): rejecting I/O to offline device
    > scsi1 (0:0): rejecting I/O to offline device
    > sd 1:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x10000
    > end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 0
    > Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 0
    > scsi1 (0:0): rejecting I/O to offline device
    > Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 1
    > Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 2
    > Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 3
    > Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 4
    > Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 5
    > Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 6
    > Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 7
    > scsi1 (0:0): rejecting I/O to offline device
    > Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 0

  2. Re: usb mass storage

    mg wrote:
> [...]
    >> id
    >> 0 lun 0
    >> scsi1 (0:0): rejecting I/O to offline device
    >> scsi1 (0:0): rejecting I/O to offline device
    >> scsi1 (0:0): rejecting I/O to offline device
    >> sd 1:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x10000
    >> end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 0
    >> Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 0
    >> scsi1 (0:0): rejecting I/O to offline device
    >> Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 1
    >> Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 2
    >> Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 3
    >> Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 4
    >> Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 5
    >> Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 6
    >> Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 7
    >> scsi1 (0:0): rejecting I/O to offline device
    >> Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 0

    One word, captive. Captive FS reads and writed native NTFS under linux.
    I have successfully used it to mount NTFS partitions.

  3. Re: usb mass storage

    I have a iomega ultamax 1 Tbyte usb drive and have HFS+ format on it (MAC os
    10) and linux mounts it just fine. I have window xp boxes networked with
    samba to access this drive. I tried NTFS could only mount read only and
    only with 3rd party software and FAT32 works but it has limitations such as
    permissions can be set for only one user.

    "Bubba Snith" wrote in message
    news:Q5mqg.115896$H71.101672@newssvr13.news.prodig y.com...
> [...]

    > >> scsi1 (0:0): rejecting I/O to offline device
    > >> scsi1 (0:0): rejecting I/O to offline device
    > >> scsi1 (0:0): rejecting I/O to offline device
    > >> sd 1:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x10000
    > >> end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 0
    > >> Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 0
    > >> scsi1 (0:0): rejecting I/O to offline device
    > >> Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 1
    > >> Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 2
    > >> Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 3
    > >> Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 4
    > >> Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 5
    > >> Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 6
    > >> Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 7
    > >> scsi1 (0:0): rejecting I/O to offline device
    > >> Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 0
    > >>

    > One word, captive. Captive FS reads and writed native NTFS under linux.
    > I have successfully used it to mount NTFS partitions.

  4. Re: usb mass storage

    In linux.redhat Scott and Sue Wyckoff wrote:

    The OPs error messages appear to be hardware messages.
    Attempting to mount NTFS won't show up until you try to mount the volume,
    and those don't look familiar to me.
    I have a dual-boot laptop with WinXP install on NTFS so that I can mount it
    from Linux. I also have a dual boot that has an NTFS volume, and it sits
    there quietly, no error messages unless I try to mount it.

    --
    ---