Disabling Kerberos telnet - Redhat

This is a discussion on Disabling Kerberos telnet - Redhat ; Help. I want to telnet to a laptop that has Fedora 3 installed. This is on a private net so I do not want any type of forced security. I just want to telnet to the laptop from different Linux ...

  1. Disabling Kerberos telnet

    Help. I want to telnet to a laptop that has Fedora 3 installed. This is on
    a private net so I do not want any type of forced security. I just want to
    telnet to the laptop from different Linux PCs. Unfortunately, when I do
    telnet to the laptop I get an error message.

    This is the error message I receive after entering the password:

    "Cannot resolve network address for KDC in requested realm while getting
    initial credentials"

    I edited the file krb5-telnet in the /etc/xinet.d directory from disable=yes
    to disable=no. Before I did that it would not even accept a telnet
    connection. At least now it accepts connections. FTP is fine.

    krb5-telnet in /etc/xinet.d dir
    # default: off
    # telnet sessions, but can also use Kerberos 5 authentication.
    service telnet
    {
    flags = REUSE
    socket_type = stream
    wait = no
    user = root
    server = /usr/kerberos/sbin/telnetd
    log_on_failure += USERID
    disable = no
    }

    The comment in the krb5-telnet file states that "The kerberized telnet
    server accepts normal sessions", but that appears false.

    There is no other telnetd package installed.

    How do I either:

    1. Disable kerberos so that it accepts connections
    2. Remove the kerberos telnet package (rpm -qa does not show any kerberos
    telnet package)

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Disabling Kerberos telnet

    "Earl Greida" wrote in message
    news:U8X0g.4118$BS2.3669@newsread1.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
    > Help. I want to telnet to a laptop that has Fedora 3 installed. This is

    on
    > a private net so I do not want any type of forced security. I just want

    > telnet to the laptop from different Linux PCs. Unfortunately, when I do
    > telnet to the laptop I get an error message.
    >
    > This is the error message I receive after entering the password:
    >
    > "Cannot resolve network address for KDC in requested realm while getting
    > initial credentials"
    >
    > I edited the file krb5-telnet in the /etc/xinet.d directory from

    disable=yes
    > to disable=no. Before I did that it would not even accept a telnet
    > connection. At least now it accepts connections. FTP is fine.
    >
    > krb5-telnet in /etc/xinet.d dir
    > # default: off
    > # telnet sessions, but can also use Kerberos 5 authentication.
    > service telnet
    > {
    > flags = REUSE
    > socket_type = stream
    > wait = no
    > user = root
    > server = /usr/kerberos/sbin/telnetd
    > log_on_failure += USERID
    > disable = no
    > }
    >
    > The comment in the krb5-telnet file states that "The kerberized telnet
    > server accepts normal sessions", but that appears false.
    >
    > There is no other telnetd package installed.
    >
    > How do I either:
    >
    > 1. Disable kerberos so that it accepts connections
    > 2. Remove the kerberos telnet package (rpm -qa does not show any kerberos
    > telnet package)
    >
    > Thanks.

    I fixed this by downloading and installing a "normal" telnet package, along
    with a "normal" rsh (rlogin) package. They work fine. This kerberos ****
    is useless.

+ Reply to Thread