space problem with ext3 ( FC5, LVM ) - Redhat

This is a discussion on space problem with ext3 ( FC5, LVM ) - Redhat ; Hope I am right here, otherwise please point me to a better place. My actual problem is that I have about 30 GB of files on a 100 GB partition. fd issues a usage of about 70GB or 70%. I ...

  1. space problem with ext3 ( FC5, LVM )

    Hope I am right here, otherwise please point me to a better place.

    My actual problem is that I have about 30 GB of files on a 100 GB
    partition. fd issues a usage of about 70GB or 70%. I can remove files
    or move them back on the partition, there will always be a big
    difference in what I see and should see.

    I have an FC4 upgraded to FC5 on a computer. Because the installer of
    FC4 made trouble I had to accept the default configuration for the
    partitioning. Now I have a Logical volume even though I see no reason
    for it.
    This prevents me from easily using fsck on the filesystem, because if I
    boot in rescue mode I can either boot with mounting ( then fsck won't
    work ) or without. The I don't even see the LogVolume.

    Any hints are welcome.

    Ingo

  2. Re: space problem with ext3 ( FC5, LVM )

    I just solved the problem myself.

    It has nothing to do with ext3.

    I should have summed up the file sizes as root, then all files would
    have taken into account.
    in the /root folderI have found some files that seem to be files that
    have been deleted from a network client via samba.

    Now I only need to find out what is the standard way to get rid of them.

  3. Re: space problem with ext3 ( FC5, LVM )

    nutty wrote:
    > Hope I am right here, otherwise please point me to a better place.

    > My actual problem is that I have about 30 GB of files on a 100 GB
    > partition. fd issues a usage of about 70GB or 70%.

    Guessing as I do not read the real problem.

    If the problem is the available space against the real space ext3 is your
    problem. I am just a lowly home user. However back with only ext2 if there was a
    problem it had to be solved at boot time. With ext3 it is corrected during
    runtime on a file for file basis.

    I have NEVER seen a difference between the two other than the time wasted
    during boot to verify the disk. I really cannot tell the difference although I
    do use ext3.

    The difference is in the major server market where they fight for macho points
    by having an extra 9 in the availability equation. And that extra 9 is so
    elusive no user would notice it. But for webhost type people the extra 9 is
    bragging rights.

    If you want them back it is legit to go to /etc/fstab and change the 3s to 2s
    and reboot. I do not know if this alone recovers the extra disk space but it is
    the start of what you need to research.

    --
    Zionists could be used for fuel instead of oil as they are unfortunately a
    renuable resource.

+ Reply to Thread