could not start x - Redhat

This is a discussion on could not start x - Redhat ; hi all when i start my machine i could not start the x i get this error Fatal server error: could not open default font 'fixed' i had tried to install the fonts (ttf) in my box and have edited ...

  1. could not start x

    hi all

    when i start my machine i could not start the x

    i get this error
    Fatal server error:
    could not open default font 'fixed'

    i had tried to install the fonts (ttf) in my box and have edited some
    of the files
    is that the cause
    if yes then how can i revert the changes to the original one

    please help me

  2. Re: could not start x

    On 2006-04-17, _nix wrote:
    > hi all
    >
    > when i start my machine i could not start the x
    >
    > i get this error
    > Fatal server error:
    > could not open default font 'fixed'
    >
    > i had tried to install the fonts (ttf) in my box and have edited some
    > of the files
    > is that the cause
    > if yes then how can i revert the changes to the original one

    It worked before? How did you install the ttf fonts? Where were
    they installed? Which files were edited?

    Can you get to a text terminal?

    What X server are you using? XFree or Xorg?
    In /etc/X11 you should find some configuration file (for Xorg
    it is xorg.conf). What does it list for the FontPath? It is possible
    for X to handle the font work itself, but usually this will point
    to a unix port and one will need to run a font server providing
    the information on that port.

    Does you init script start up a font server (such as "xfs" -
    does that appear when you do "ps -A"? if you can boot to a terminal
    display - but then again, it may only start up when you go to
    graphical mode)?

+ Reply to Thread