Well...Crud - Redhat

This is a discussion on Well...Crud - Redhat ; Installed Fedora 5 one the "test" system. Good news, it recognizes and works with my AU8810 sound card. The bad news, apparently I can't do anything with my sound files without my trying to track down all the codecs and ...

  1. Well...Crud

    Installed Fedora 5 one the "test" system. Good news, it recognizes and
    works with my AU8810 sound card. The bad news, apparently I can't do
    anything with my sound files without my trying to track down all the
    codecs and whatever else is necessary to play them. Crap -- and Totem
    (where did it come from and why is it the default?) -- it does nothing but
    lock up for me, or tell me it can't do anything. Does FC4 include the
    necessary files to play music? That's really the only reason I wanted to
    "upgrade" FC1.

    I'm also less then enthusiastic about a few other changes. No "Terminal"
    choice when right clicking, for example. The "bubble" theme and the
    default double (top and bottom) panel. But I'm sure I could customize and
    get around these problems -- mainly the system is sluggish on my Celeron
    400 (which is not Fedora's fault).

    Ah well, back to the drawing board. I'm hoping FC2 can use my AU8810 card.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  2. Re: Well...Crud

    FC5 contains support for legally safe formats via the gstreamer
    framework. That includes ogg Vorbis (mp3 equivalent) and Theora for
    video. If you want support for other formats look at rpm.livna.org for
    the gstreamer-plugins- packages.

    On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 01:11 +0000, RonB wrote:
    > Installed Fedora 5 one the "test" system. Good news, it recognizes and
    > works with my AU8810 sound card. The bad news, apparently I can't do
    > anything with my sound files without my trying to track down all the
    > codecs and whatever else is necessary to play them. Crap -- and Totem
    > (where did it come from and why is it the default?) -- it does nothing but
    > lock up for me, or tell me it can't do anything. Does FC4 include the
    > necessary files to play music? That's really the only reason I wanted to
    > "upgrade" FC1.
    >
    > I'm also less then enthusiastic about a few other changes. No "Terminal"
    > choice when right clicking, for example. The "bubble" theme and the
    > default double (top and bottom) panel. But I'm sure I could customize and
    > get around these problems -- mainly the system is sluggish on my Celeron
    > 400 (which is not Fedora's fault).
    >
    > Ah well, back to the drawing board. I'm hoping FC2 can use my AU8810 card.

  3. Re: Well...Crud

    There's also Realplayer10 and the non-Fedora version of xmms.

    Harry Waye wrote:
    > FC5 contains support for legally safe formats via the gstreamer
    > framework. That includes ogg Vorbis (mp3 equivalent) and Theora for
    > video. If you want support for other formats look at rpm.livna.org for
    > the gstreamer-plugins- packages.
    >
    > On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 01:11 +0000, RonB wrote:
    >> Installed Fedora 5 one the "test" system. Good news, it recognizes and
    >> works with my AU8810 sound card. The bad news, apparently I can't do
    >> anything with my sound files without my trying to track down all the
    >> codecs and whatever else is necessary to play them. Crap -- and Totem
    >> (where did it come from and why is it the default?) -- it does nothing but
    >> lock up for me, or tell me it can't do anything. Does FC4 include the
    >> necessary files to play music? That's really the only reason I wanted to
    >> "upgrade" FC1.
    >>
    >> I'm also less then enthusiastic about a few other changes. No "Terminal"
    >> choice when right clicking, for example. The "bubble" theme and the
    >> default double (top and bottom) panel. But I'm sure I could customize and
    >> get around these problems -- mainly the system is sluggish on my Celeron
    >> 400 (which is not Fedora's fault).
    >>
    >> Ah well, back to the drawing board. I'm hoping FC2 can use my AU8810 card.

  4. Re: Well...Crud

    Harry Waye wrote:
    > FC5 contains support for legally safe formats via the gstreamer
    > framework. That includes ogg Vorbis (mp3 equivalent) and Theora for
    > video. If you want support for other formats look at rpm.livna.org for
    > the gstreamer-plugins- packages.

    Thanks. I found a site (actually two), not sure where they were right
    now, but they gave me instructions on how to use 'yum' to download
    mplayer and its required files. I also downloaded RealPlayer and figured
    out that Fedora Core 3 defaults to muting all its sound...? (I wonder
    how times I *did* have a sound card working and didn't know it?) At any
    rate, I'm playing MP3 files and watching a DVD, plus playing music, so
    all seems to be working fine. Now to increase the Linux partition size
    on the original computer, then install Fedora Core 3 there, re-find all
    the things I've discovered on this computer, and actually *use* Fedora 3.

    A couple more minor quibbles. First, is there a way to keep Nautilus
    from opening a new window every time you change a directory? I would
    just as soon have one window open and no "parent windows." When I go to
    the File option it still works that way. But when I start from my Home
    icon, it works the new way. Also, I would like to join the Action
    "drawer" to the Application drawer, and just have the whole thing open
    over the Red Hat. That would give me more room on my single panel -- I
    got rid of the one on top.

    Thanks for all the advice. Except for a few specialty programs, Windows
    98 is just about on its way out.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  5. Re: Well...Crud

    David W. Legg wrote:
    > There's also Realplayer10 and the non-Fedora version of xmms.

    Found them. Thanks. Though I didn't get xmms working yet, screwed up
    somewhere. I concentrated on mplayer for now. I've got a fully
    functioning Fedora 3 installation, though I've still got a LOT to learn.
    Like, for example, how do you install the new FireFox so that it becomes
    the default? How do you get rid of old files after the update? How do
    you add programs to the start panels, etc. -- lots to learn, but now I
    can use Linux while I'm learning. Thanks to everyone.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

+ Reply to Thread