RH 6.2, and wireless.... - Redhat

This is a discussion on RH 6.2, and wireless.... - Redhat ; I have celeron 1200 with 396mb ram and really like RH 6.2 for its speed. My wireless pci card is a d-link dwl 510 which doesnt have linux spport. I have been able to get it working with DSK, KNoppix ...

  1. RH 6.2, and wireless....

    I have celeron 1200 with 396mb ram and really like RH 6.2 for its
    speed.

    My wireless pci card is a d-link dwl 510 which doesnt have linux
    spport. I have been able to get it working with DSK, KNoppix & Debian
    Stable 2.6.- ndiswrapper

    I am unsure of what i should use in rh6.2 to run this wireless card?...
    can anyone advise?.

    I currently have debian 2.6 686 installed and wouldnt mind stepping
    back the defau;t 386 kernel to RH. Is there a quick 30 step sum-up of
    whas' i gota do about?

    many tx - really enjoying my Linux Experience,

  2. Re: RH 6.2, and wireless....

    wrote in message
    news:1144988552.826428.200400@t31g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com

    > I have celeron 1200 with 396mb ram and really like RH 6.2 for its
    > speed.

    I for one will dismiss you as a troll.

  3. Re: RH 6.2, and wireless....

    > I have celeron 1200 with 396mb ram and really like RH 6.2 for its
    > speed.
    >
    > My wireless pci card is a d-link dwl 510 which doesnt have linux
    > spport. I have been able to get it working with DSK, KNoppix & Debian
    > Stable 2.6.- ndiswrapper

    Why not go with a newer version of Linux...
    most anything should run fine on your system

  4. Re: RH 6.2, and wireless....

    On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:22:32 -0700, robertssubscriptions wrote:

    > I have celeron 1200 with 396mb ram and really like RH 6.2 for its speed.
    >
    > My wireless pci card is a d-link dwl 510 which doesnt have linux spport. I
    > have been able to get it working with DSK, KNoppix & Debian Stable 2.6.-
    > ndiswrapper
    >
    > I am unsure of what i should use in rh6.2 to run this wireless card?...
    > can anyone advise?.
    >
    > I currently have debian 2.6 686 installed and wouldnt mind stepping back
    > the defau;t 386 kernel to RH. Is there a quick 30 step sum-up of whas' i
    > gota do about?
    >
    > many tx - really enjoying my Linux Experience,

    Do you find Debian with a lightweight window manager to be significantly
    slower than RH6.2? I wouldn't spend any time trying to get RH6.2 to work,
    it's not worth it. Your goal should be to configure a modern distribution
    so that it meets your performance requirements. If I were you I'd try
    various different windows managers until I found one that you thought
    was good enough. You should also disable any unnecessary services. Another
    way to go would be to install Damn Small Linux and then add the services
    that you need. DSL starts with a minimum sized foot print, probably much
    smaller than RH6.2, but it uses modern components.

  5. Re: RH 6.2, and wireless....

    While stranded on the hard shoulder of the information super highway ynotssor@example.net typed:
    > wrote in message
    > news:1144988552.826428.200400@t31g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com
    >
    >> I have celeron 1200 with 396mb ram and really like RH 6.2 for its
    >> speed.

    > I for one will dismiss you as a troll.

    I'm sorry but you are the troll - My P4 2K was definitely quicker
    when I had RH7.1 on it, rather than the FC3 I now run. I am
    seriously considering going back, which I did once before, when I
    tried Suse 8.2 for 6 months. My old Toshiba laptop still runs RH7.1
    with full KDE and it is quite speedy; an identical model at work
    with FC4 limps along. Don't dismiss the old distros! They contained
    far less bloat (eg do we really need the haldaemon, selinux, lisa,
    and several other items I can name. My old install managed quite
    well without them.)

    Unfortunately I can't help the original poster with his AU8810 card
    as I don't run sound on my boxes, but there looks to be loads of
    people out there who have said card working.

    --
    Trog Woolley | trog at trogwoolley dot com
    (A Croweater back residing in Pommie Land with Linux)