tar installation - Redhat

This is a discussion on tar installation - Redhat ; Hi, i'm running FC4 2.16. I still do not know how to install a 'tar' that I have downloaded. Could someone please direct me to a site, and or instruct me on how to install/uncompress tarballs. i once tried to ...

  1. tar installation

    Hi, i'm running FC4 2.16.
    I still do not know how to install a 'tar' that I have downloaded. Could
    someone please direct me to a site, and or instruct me on how to
    install/uncompress tarballs. i once tried to uncompress one, but for
    some reason it mesdsed up the ownrship configurations and locked me out
    of gui mode, the 'it' techi had to be called in to fix. If someone could
    in particularexplain the idea of wonerships/permissions and how they are
    important during installation.
    Many thanks,
    Greg Meyer

  2. Re: tar installation

    Hi Greg,

    for below:
    x = extract/uncompress
    v = verbose (display what it is uncompressing)
    f = a file or device will be used
    z = filter through gzip

    tar -xvf [filename].tar
    tar -zxvf [filename].tar.gz