Web Server Move - Backup - Redhat

This is a discussion on Web Server Move - Backup - Redhat ; We have a linux (web) server which was set up by a company that went kaput and have nobody knowledgeable enough to figure the next request out by themselves.... now we want to move the webpage to a hosted solution. ...

  1. Web Server Move - Backup

    We have a linux (web) server which was set up by a company that went
    kaput and have nobody knowledgeable enough to figure the next request
    out by themselves.... now we want to move the webpage to a hosted
    solution.

    We are moving the web server mounted on Linux RedHat to a hosting
    company. how do we back up Mysql, etc. to send it to them? and what
    else might we need to back up?

    Can somebody help? anybody done this before?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Web Server Move - Backup

    While stranded on the hard shoulder of the information super highway nestava@gmail.com typed:
    > We have a linux (web) server which was set up by a company that went
    > kaput and have nobody knowledgeable enough to figure the next request
    > out by themselves.... now we want to move the webpage to a hosted
    > solution.
    >
    > We are moving the web server mounted on Linux RedHat to a hosting
    > company. how do we back up Mysql, etc. to send it to them? and what
    > else might we need to back up?

    To backup mysql http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...revention.html
    If the hosting company know what they are doing, then a mysqldump backup should
    be fine.

    To backup the html, etc man tar - three problems that you might encounter
    1 determining ServerRoot (ie where the web page starts.)
    2 htmls with abolute rather than relative paths - you put these on
    your new server and your web page doesn't work.
    3 what cgi's you need to include.

    --
    Trog Woolley | trog at trogwoolley dot com
    (A Croweater back residing in Pommie Land with Linux)