Q: How do you re-create a deleted /dev/console file? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Q: How do you re-create a deleted /dev/console file? - Redhat ; Hi, By means of a bad script, I managed to delete the console file from the /dev directory. Now, if I try to fire up a terminal, the system barfs up the message: "There was an error creating the child ...

  1. Q: How do you re-create a deleted /dev/console file?

    Hi,

    By means of a bad script, I managed to delete the console file
    from the /dev directory. Now, if I try to fire up a terminal,
    the system barfs up the message:

    "There was an error creating the child process for this terminal."

    If I try to fire up an xterm, I get this message:

    "xterm: Error 32, errno 2: No such file or directory
    Reason: get_pty: not enough ptys"

    Can this file be re-created or downloaded?

    Grattitude w/o Attitude,
    -texmex.

  2. Re: Q: How do you re-create a deleted /dev/console file?

    texmex wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > By means of a bad script, I managed to delete the console file
    > from the /dev directory. Now, if I try to fire up a terminal,
    > the system barfs up the message:
    >
    > "There was an error creating the child process for this terminal."
    >
    > If I try to fire up an xterm, I get this message:
    >
    > "xterm: Error 32, errno 2: No such file or directory
    > Reason: get_pty: not enough ptys"
    >
    > Can this file be re-created or downloaded?
    >

    > Grattitude w/o Attitude,
    > -texmex.

    Man mknod

+ Reply to Thread