Problems with RH 7.3 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Problems with RH 7.3 - Redhat ; I work at Arizona State University and we're having awful trouble installing Red Hat Linux 7.3 in one of our Dell computers for research. We run a MonteCarlo simulation based on GEANT3, and this only works on RHL 7.3 for ...

  1. Problems with RH 7.3

    I work at Arizona State University and we're having awful trouble
    installing Red Hat Linux 7.3 in one of our Dell computers for research.
    We run a MonteCarlo simulation based on GEANT3, and this only works on
    RHL 7.3 for unknown reasons.

    We have two other Dell computers that are slightly older (but they are
    pretty much the same thing) and 7.3 works just fine.

    The computer is brand new, just straight from the box, with the
    following specs:

    Dual 3.4 GHz processors, XEON IRWINDALE
    MOTHERBOARD, XEON PAXVILLE
    Dual in-line memory module, total of 4GB

    Basically, the installation runs flawlessly, but when the computer
    boots and Linux starts (where the system is putting all this green
    "OK"), the system gives an error:

    CPU 0: Machine check exception
    Kernel Panic
    In idle task: Not syncing

    Can anybody tell me if they've had trouble with this before, and if so,
    how to solve it? Our research is pretty much stopped until we solve
    this problem.

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Problems with RH 7.3

    Carlos Hernandez wrote:
    > I work at Arizona State University and we're having awful trouble
    > installing Red Hat Linux 7.3 in one of our Dell computers for research.
    > We run a MonteCarlo simulation based on GEANT3, and this only works on
    > RHL 7.3 for unknown reasons.
    >
    > We have two other Dell computers that are slightly older (but they are
    > pretty much the same thing) and 7.3 works just fine.
    >
    > The computer is brand new, just straight from the box, with the
    > following specs:
    >
    > Dual 3.4 GHz processors, XEON IRWINDALE
    > MOTHERBOARD, XEON PAXVILLE
    > Dual in-line memory module, total of 4GB
    >
    > Basically, the installation runs flawlessly, but when the computer
    > boots and Linux starts (where the system is putting all this green
    > "OK"), the system gives an error:
    >
    > CPU 0: Machine check exception
    > Kernel Panic
    > In idle task: Not syncing
    >
    > Can anybody tell me if they've had trouble with this before, and if so,
    > how to solve it? Our research is pretty much stopped until we solve
    > this problem.
    >
    > Thank you.

    What kernel are you booting?

    Try:
    http://download.fedoralegacy.org/red.../updates/i386/
    kernel-smp-2.4.20-43.7.legacy.i686.rpm

    --
    Greg

  3. Re: Problems with RH 7.3

    The Kernel is 2.4.18-3

    Thanks for the rpm update, the problem is that I cannot even enter
    Linux to install that update.

    Thanks

  4. Re: Problems with RH 7.3

    charly wrote:
    > The Kernel is 2.4.18-3
    >
    > Thanks for the rpm update, the problem is that I cannot even enter
    > Linux to install that update.
    >
    > Thanks

    Doh.

    Will it boot the RedHat CDROM ?

  5. Re: Problems with RH 7.3

    It will up to a certain point. Then it will read the Kernel Panic
    problem and it will get stuck there.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks,

    Carlos.

  6. Re: Problems with RH 7.3

    charly wrote:
    > It will up to a certain point. Then it will read the Kernel Panic
    > problem and it will get stuck there.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Carlos.

    If you installed the new system using the CDROM, then it
    ought to still boot from the CDROM.

    At the boot prompt, try: linux rescue

  7. Re: Problems with RH 7.3

    Also, as someone else mentioned, you might have to run a 386 kernel
    with the CPU chipset you have.

  8. Re: Problems with RH 7.3

    Carlos Hernandez wrote:
    > I work at Arizona State University and we're having awful trouble
    > installing Red Hat Linux 7.3 in one of our Dell computers for research.
    > We run a MonteCarlo simulation based on GEANT3, and this only works on
    > RHL 7.3 for unknown reasons.
    >
    > We have two other Dell computers that are slightly older (but they are
    > pretty much the same thing) and 7.3 works just fine.
    >
    > The computer is brand new, just straight from the box, with the
    > following specs:
    >
    > Dual 3.4 GHz processors, XEON IRWINDALE
    > MOTHERBOARD, XEON PAXVILLE
    > Dual in-line memory module, total of 4GB
    >
    > Basically, the installation runs flawlessly, but when the computer
    > boots and Linux starts (where the system is putting all this green
    > "OK"), the system gives an error:
    >
    > CPU 0: Machine check exception
    > Kernel Panic
    > In idle task: Not syncing
    >
    > Can anybody tell me if they've had trouble with this before, and if so,
    > how to solve it? Our research is pretty much stopped until we solve
    > this problem.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Well, a few things that might tell you what is happening...

    If you are running grub...

    On the default startup entry press "e". Move to the "kernel" line, at
    the end of line add " vga=791" without the quotes. Press enter. Press
    "b". How many "tux" appear? (Should be two, on for each processor.
    Hyperthreaded versions of the OS would show 4 on HT dual processors.)

    It will hang again. Restart it.

    On the default startup entry press "e". Move to the "kernel" line, at
    the end of line add " idle=poll" without the quotes. Press enter.
    Press "b". Does it boot?

    If not, restart, on the default startup entry press "e". Move to the
    "kernel" line, at the end of line add " acpi=off" without the quotes.
    Press enter. Press "b". Does it boot?

    If not, restart, on the default startup entry press "e". Move to the
    "kernel" line, at the end of line add " nosmp" without the quotes.
    Press enter. Press "b". Does it boot? (SMP kernel with SMP disabled.)

    If not, restart, use the non-smp kernel (should be an option), does it
    boot? (Uni-kernel.)

    If other than the last two work, as root modify /etc/grub.conf to
    reflect the change. If running in uni-processor works, and is
    acceptable, either change grub to choose the uni as default, or add
    nosmp to the kernel line.

    Ken

  9. Re: Problems with RH 7.3

    On 2006-04-03, charly wrote:
    > The Kernel is 2.4.18-3
    >
    > Thanks for the rpm update, the problem is that I cannot even enter
    > Linux to install that update.

    One time I screwed up my kernel (playing around with the source files,
    compiling and removing the working kernel! - dumb).

    I used knoppix on it. That has gcc and I could compile a new kernel and
    using lilo command line options install it. One may have to (if one can get
    knoppix to work) mount and chroot to the RH73 system since the version of
    gcc has undoubtedly changed (and I don't know what would happen if one used
    one version of the c libraries and gcc to compile a kernel with programmes
    all compiled using gcc 2.96). I fact, even DamnSmallLinux or any rescue disk
    which would let you mount RH73, chroot to its system (will it still run now
    that you are using all its binaries? - but DSL does not have its own gcc)
    and use it to recompile the kernel ... Hmmm ... I am no expert on any of
    this, but you should be able to (in some fashion) recompile and install a
    new kernel if you can get some rescue CD (the RH73 install disk or whatever)
    to boot. IF it is a kernel problem. Don't try putting a 2.6.x kernel on it!

    If it is a kernel problem, you can probably get past it.

+ Reply to Thread