Best linux to just use as a firewall? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Best linux to just use as a firewall? - Redhat ; HI there folks. I'm looking for the best linux distributino if I just want to use it as a firewall. Red hat? Fedora? Ubuntu? I'm not that well versed in linux and just need to build a firewall box with ...

  1. Best linux to just use as a firewall?

    HI there folks. I'm looking for the best linux distributino if I just
    want to use it as a firewall. Red hat? Fedora? Ubuntu? I'm not that
    well versed in linux and just need to build a firewall box with a gui
    interface. Thanks!

  2. Re: Best linux to just use as a firewall?

    On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 07:58:55 -0700, ridergroov wrote:

    > I'm looking for the best linux distributino if I just want to use it as
    > a firewall.

    Unless you are dead-set on rolling your own, I'd suggest this:

    http://www.smoothwall.org/

    HTH

  3. Re: Best linux to just use as a firewall?

    Is this free? Which version should I download? Are there any
    screenshots?

  4. Re: Best linux to just use as a firewall?

    redWall is a bootable CD-ROM Firewall. It's goal is to provide a
    feature rich firewall solution, with the main goal, to provide a
    webinterface for all the logfiles generated!
    http://www.redwall-firewall.com/

    Main features:
    Configuration is currenty stored on a floppy/USB Memory Stick/Harddrive
    or sent by email (see todo !)
    Due the fact, that most reporting functionality is done via mysql
    (except for the squid reports), it's possible to use the cd as a
    Mangagement/Logging Console for other firewalls running in your
    environment using the same cd! Take snort for instance.. you can have
    10 firewalls running snort, reporting back to the main database on
    the management/Logging system, in order to have a central "overview" of
    all your firewalls... Using the SAME CD !! It's all up to you how you
    configure your firewall and/or Management box !
    based on redhat 9.0
    bridging support
    Mail Virusscanning, spamfiltering and gateway functionality
    /etc is writable (tmpfs) feeded by the configuration medium
    /var is writable (ramdisk or harddisk) (you are not going to run squid
    on a ramdisk... aren't you ?)
    The cd will (at least it should) detect all your network cards (using
    kudzu) during the initial boot
    During the initial boot, you can setup some basic things like IP
    Address, Services to start (all disabled by default) and so on

    Complete Features here:
    http://www.redwall-firewall.com/inde...d=14&Itemid=29

    ScreenShots:
    http://www.redwall-firewall.com/inde...mid=31&catid=1

  5. Re: Best linux to just use as a firewall?

    What I'm really looknig for is to just build a box that is just a
    firewall. I thought red hat use to have an install option for that. I
    could be mistaken though.

  6. Re: Best linux to just use as a firewall?

    On 4 Apr 2006 08:14:12 -0700, ridergroov wrote:

    > I thought red hat use to have an install option for that. I
    > could be mistaken though.

    there's instalation option, install minimum which is suitable for making
    firewalls and routers.
    I would also suggest you to try Slackware.

  7. Re: Best linux to just use as a firewall?

    ridergroov wrote:
    > What I'm really looknig for is to just build a box that is just a
    > firewall. I thought red hat use to have an install option for that. I
    > could be mistaken though.

    If this thing is going to be on all the time it will cost $$$ in electricity (~200W x 24 hours x 7 days). Consider a firewall appliance instead (~<20W).

  8. Re: Best linux to just use as a firewall?

    IPCop (ipcop.org) is simple and does most things are firewall needs to do.

    On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 07:58:55 -0700, ridergroov wrote:

    > HI there folks. I'm looking for the best linux distributino if I just
    > want to use it as a firewall. Red hat? Fedora? Ubuntu? I'm not that
    > well versed in linux and just need to build a firewall box with a gui
    > interface. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread