(cheap) backup options for RHEL 4 - Redhat

This is a discussion on (cheap) backup options for RHEL 4 - Redhat ; hello all... i have a client who is wondering about backup options for their redhat servers.... its a small business... only about 5 RHEL servers (probably a couple hundred gigs each, tops)... they just bought a SCSI LTO3 tape drive.... ...

  1. (cheap) backup options for RHEL 4

    hello all...
    i have a client who is wondering about backup options for their
    redhat servers.... its a small business... only about 5 RHEL servers
    (probably a couple hundred gigs each, tops)... they just bought a
    SCSI LTO3 tape drive....

    what would be a good, cost-effective, easy-to-admin backup solution?
    they don't need any enterprise-level stuff (no veritas)... (are the
    legato products for linux expensive like veritas netbackup?)

    are there any good open-source solutions? (is there anything other
    than tar, cpio, dump, etc.. that i'm missing?) or at least LOW-cost?

    whats your opinion?

    thanks in advance!
    --cc

  2. Re: (cheap) backup options for RHEL 4

    "dr.pecker" wrote in message
    news:1143736149.547342.178440@u72g2000cwu.googlegr oups.com

    > are there any good open-source solutions? (is there anything other
    > than tar, cpio, dump, etc.. that i'm missing?) or at least LOW-cost?

    Amanda? Bacula?

    Vic.

  3. Re: (cheap) backup options for RHEL 4

    "(is there anything other than tar, cpio, dump, etc.. that i'm
    missing?)"

    I've found rsync to be simple and quick, if you have enough space off
    site. I have this set up as a cron job to run every night.

    rsync -avze ssh user@server:/ImportantStuff /backupPlace/

    You can use the delete option, too, to keep it exact with what you have
    on the live server. This doesn't help me much, as I usually am
    restoring what others deleted

    rsync -avze ssh --delete user@server:/ImportantStuff /backupPlace/

    Amanda would probably be better, from what I hear, for real stuff, but
    this works great for me for quick restores when users delete crap.

  4. Re: (cheap) backup options for RHEL 4

    > hello all...
    > i have a client who is wondering about backup options for their
    > redhat servers.... its a small business... only about 5 RHEL servers
    > (probably a couple hundred gigs each, tops)... they just bought a
    > SCSI LTO3 tape drive....
    >
    > what would be a good, cost-effective, easy-to-admin backup solution?
    > they don't need any enterprise-level stuff (no veritas)... (are the
    > legato products for linux expensive like veritas netbackup?)
    >
    > are there any good open-source solutions? (is there anything other
    > than tar, cpio, dump, etc.. that i'm missing?) or at least LOW-cost?
    >
    > whats your opinion?

    www.amanda.org

    I use it in the 'enterprise' with about 80 servers and LTO autoloaders -
    I even backup M$ shares with it

  5. Re: (cheap) backup options for RHEL 4

    Just forget the LT03 and buy a machine to use as a back-up server.
    Automatic back-ups, no tapes to change. Magic!

    Tom wrote:

    >> hello all...
    >> i have a client who is wondering about backup options for their
    >> redhat servers.... its a small business... only about 5 RHEL servers
    >> (probably a couple hundred gigs each, tops)... they just bought a
    >> SCSI LTO3 tape drive....
    >>
    >> what would be a good, cost-effective, easy-to-admin backup solution?
    >> they don't need any enterprise-level stuff (no veritas)... (are the
    >> legato products for linux expensive like veritas netbackup?)
    >>
    >> are there any good open-source solutions? (is there anything other
    >> than tar, cpio, dump, etc.. that i'm missing?) or at least LOW-cost?
    >> whats your opinion?

    > www.amanda.org
    >
    > I use it in the 'enterprise' with about 80 servers and LTO autoloaders -
    > I even backup M$ shares with it

  6. Re: (cheap) backup options for RHEL 4

    On 30 Mar 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup linux.redhat, in article
    <1143736149.547342.178440@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups. com>, dr.pecker wrote:

    > i have a client who is wondering about backup options for their
    >redhat servers.... its a small business... only about 5 RHEL servers
    >(probably a couple hundred gigs each, tops)... they just bought a
    >SCSI LTO3 tape drive....

    What is their threat model? What are they trying to protect against?
    Theft? Fire? Flood? Earthquake (you're only about 300 miles from the New
    Madrid surprise)? Ordinary equipment failure? Drunks driving through the
    front door? Frozen yaks falling from the sky? Assuming the facility is
    physically secure, perhaps installing a few extra hard drives on each
    server, and doing a nightly rsync (A1 to B2 and C3, B1 to C2 and D3, C1
    to D2 and E3, D1 to E2 and A3, and E1 to A2 and B3) would do the job. Five
    systems - maybe a nightly full backup of one server to a tape along with
    incrementals from the other four servers - with the tape going off-site
    ASAP? Really, a lot depends on how much data there is that needs to be
    backed up, how often the data changes, and how long the data has to
    be kept. Maybe a combination of the two techniques would be better.

    > what would be a good, cost-effective, easy-to-admin backup solution?
    >they don't need any enterprise-level stuff (no veritas)... (are the
    >legato products for linux expensive like veritas netbackup?)

    Both Amanda and Bacula are pretty good - some people think that Amanda
    is a bit of a handful to set up, but once it's running it's pretty
    easy.

    > are there any good open-source solutions? (is there anything other
    >than tar, cpio, dump, etc.. that i'm missing?) or at least LOW-cost?

    Depends on what your exact needs are. There is no one perfect solution
    for everyone.

    Old guy

  7. Re: (cheap) backup options for RHEL 4

    > Just forget the LT03 and buy a machine to use as a back-up server.
    > Automatic back-ups, no tapes to change. Magic!

    er yeah right, until your building burns down and your servers as well
    as your backups are fried.

    I'll stick to tape thanks

  8. Re: (cheap) backup options for RHEL 4

    On Mon, 03 Apr 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup linux.redhat, in article
    <44313A35.7060802@teameazyriders.com>, Tom wrote:

    >> Just forget the LT03 and buy a machine to use as a back-up server.
    >> Automatic back-ups, no tapes to change. Magic!

    >er yeah right, until your building burns down and your servers as well
    >as your backups are fried.

    Both of you are posting from the UK, so all you have to worry about is
    fire, flood, and falling frozen yaks. The rest of the world may not be
    as lucky. I worked for 30 years within a few miles of two active
    earthquake faults, and a minor little Richter magnitude ML 6.0 quake
    might get your attention if your building isn't prepared (looking at
    http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/bulletin/bulletin.html, there have been 4
    quakes over a 6.0 in the past 7 days):

    [compton ~]$ grep 'MAP [6-9]' quakes_all.php
    MAP 6.2 2006/04/01 10:02:20 22.891 121.254 10.0 TAIWAN REGION
    MAP 6.2 2006/03/31 21:14:47 3.814 126.454 50.6 KEPULAUAN TALAUD,
    MAP 6.5 2006/03/31 13:21:00 -29.611 -176.777 17.0 KERMADEC ISLANDS REGION
    MAP 6.1 2006/03/31 01:17:02 33.583 48.793 10.0 WESTERN IRAN
    [compton ~]$

    The table above - MAP is a link to a map, next number is magnitude, then
    date/time in UTC, Lat/Lon (negative is South or West), depth in KM, and
    rough description of location.

    The April 2004 issue of the (American) National Geographic magazine
    included a map showing areas of the world at risk. Seeing sections of
    Belgium, the Ruhr, and Western Norway surprised me.

    >I'll stick to tape thanks

    That's probably a very good idea.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread