fsck: 'unable to set superblock flags on /1' - Redhat

This is a discussion on fsck: 'unable to set superblock flags on /1' - Redhat ; Just had a freeze while attemtping to delete the contents of a directory on Fedora Core 5. Powered off and rebooted then Fedora attempted to repair the filesystem but insisted I needed to do it manually so dropped me into ...

  1. fsck: 'unable to set superblock flags on /1'

    Just had a freeze while attemtping to delete the contents of a directory on
    Fedora Core 5. Powered off and rebooted then Fedora attempted to repair the
    filesystem but insisted I needed to do it manually so dropped me into a
    shell. It was taking far too long responding to y/n confirmations for
    repairs so I decided to reboot using the Fedora Core 5 Rescue Disk. This
    gave me a /mnt/sysimage shell but I then realised running 'fsck' on a
    mounted filesystem isn't a good idea. So, I rebooted with Knoppix 3.8,
    'umount'-ed the troublesome /dev/hda1 which, curiously, had been
    successfully automounted and was readable. Running both 'sudo e2fsck -p
    /dev/hda1' and 'sudo fsck -a /dev/hda1' produced the same error: '....
    unable to set superblock flags on /1'. What's the source of this problem?
    What to do?

    Zaphod

  2. Re: fsck: 'unable to set superblock flags on /1'

    I think you can boot with FC5 CD1. When it asks to mount your harddisk
    or search for existing installation, select skip. Then "e2fsck -p
    /dev/hda1" should work

+ Reply to Thread