duel booting Fidora 4 and XP - Redhat

This is a discussion on duel booting Fidora 4 and XP - Redhat ; I have a Dell dimension 1100 with a 160gb hard drive that runs Windows XP. I fitted another 80gb and installed Fidora Core 4 onto it. The installaion seemed to go well but when I reboot I don't get the ...

  1. duel booting Fidora 4 and XP

    I have a Dell dimension 1100 with a 160gb hard drive that runs Windows XP. I
    fitted another 80gb and installed Fidora Core 4 onto it. The installaion
    seemed to go well but when I reboot I don't get the option the boot Fedora,
    it just goes straight into XP. I've re-run the install several times
    changing the default os to boot, but still no joy..... Any ideas?

  2. Re: duel booting Fidora 4 and XP

    Nigel wrote:
    > I have a Dell dimension 1100 with a 160gb hard drive that runs
    > Windows XP. I fitted another 80gb and installed Fidora Core 4 onto
    > it. The installaion seemed to go well but when I reboot I don't get
    > the option the boot Fedora, it just goes straight into XP. I've
    > re-run the install several times changing the default os to boot, but
    > still no joy..... Any ideas?

    Where are you installing GRUB? You either have to (1) install GRUB on
    the MBR on your main harddrive (not the separate Fedora harddrive), or
    (2) use Windows's bootloader as detailed follows:

    You still install GRUB, but you install GRUB on a /boot partition. I
    don't know if it matters what harddrive you put it on. Hopefully
    someone else can help you with that. Some computers though require that
    your boot partition be a certain distance from the beginning of the
    harddrive. The link should explain this, but it might not be a problem
    for you.

    You then ave to export the boat sector to a file which you copy into
    your c: directory in windows. You then add an extra line to your
    c:\boot.ini file so that you can load GRUB, and then through GRUB you
    can load Windows. (The link provides details, so don't worry that I
    didn't do a great job explaining the details) Here's my boot.ini file
    for your info:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect
    c:\linux.bin="Linux"

    Here's a useful site for dual booting Fedora and XP:

    http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux...w2k-HOWTO.html

  3. Re: duel booting Fidora 4 and XP

    Go look at O'Reilly books website at Linux in a Nutshell, they had a
    chapter download that was on the 'booting' chapter it would help you.

    Supposedly you cannot use GRUB to boot Win XP installed with NTFS file
    system (and maybe dynamic drive). NTFS wants to control the boot (and
    has to). So you have to install the grub bootloader on your Linux
    partition(or drive) not on NTFS partition and then set up Linux/grub to
    boot Linux under dual boot controlled by NTFS. go read the chapter,
    hopefully they still have it for download.

  4. Re: duel booting Fidora 4 and XP

    rrq4@juno.com wrote:
    > Go look at O'Reilly books website at Linux in a Nutshell, they had a
    > chapter download that was on the 'booting' chapter it would help you.
    >
    > Supposedly you cannot use GRUB to boot Win XP installed with NTFS file
    > system (and maybe dynamic drive). NTFS wants to control the boot (and
    > has to). So you have to install the grub bootloader on your Linux
    > partition(or drive) not on NTFS partition and then set up Linux/grub to
    > boot Linux under dual boot controlled by NTFS. go read the chapter,
    > hopefully they still have it for download.

    I didn't run into anything remarkable setting up a dual boot between Win
    2K and CentOS 4.2 (RHEL 4 clone), and I have Win 2K on the NTFS file
    system (actually NTFS 5, as opposed to the flavor of NTFS that NT uses).
    I did set up a partition on FAT32 (VFAT under Linux) that both Win 2K
    and CentOS can read and write to.

    Just install XP first, saving some unallocated space for the Linux
    distro you're using. If you're using a Red Hat derivative (Fedora,
    CentOS, White Box, etc.) you will get the Grub configuration dialog box
    automatically.

+ Reply to Thread