Fedora Core 4 startup goes into a while screen - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fedora Core 4 startup goes into a while screen - Redhat ; I have little knowledge about Linux. I have just installed Fedora Core 4 on an old machine. The installation will go into a white screen in GUI installation, so I did the installation in text mode. But at startup, it ...

  1. Fedora Core 4 startup goes into a while screen

    I have little knowledge about Linux. I have just installed Fedora Core
    4 on an old machine. The installation will go into a white screen in
    GUI installation, so I did the installation in text mode. But at
    startup, it passes GRUB, and then goes into the same while screen. Then
    it hangs there. I do not know what it is going on there because nothing
    is displayed.

    The machine's configuration: AMD Thunderbird 1GHz, 256M RAM, 6G hard
    disk, Trident display card (Generic), Siemens (MCM 17P1).

    I installed RedHat 9 on the same machine before and it worked well. The
    display card and monitor are the same. The only difference is that FC4
    now think I have a 3-key mouse. In fact, it has only 2 keys. Could that
    be the problem? How could I change the configuration to correct this? I
    do not remember the mouse detected by RedHat 9 and the harddisk is
    formatted by FC4 installation.

    I do not know what it is in that blank whilte screen. And I am not sure
    what goes wrong and how to troubleshoot.

    Can anyone kindly provide some guide?

    Thanks a lot in advance!

  2. Re: Fedora Core 4 startup goes into a while screen

    It sounds to me like the x-windows configuration
    did not auto-config correctly for your video card and monitor hardware.

    One way to test this is to boot your installation cdrom
    and type "linux rescue" at the boot prompt.

    Edit the file /sysimage/etc/inittab (or whatever the mounted pathname is called)

    from: id:5:initdefault:

    to: id:3:initdefault:

    This will make the system boot without starting up X-windows. If it boots okay, then
    you can progress onwards towards finding and fixing the config problem.
    --
    Greg

    blackpuppy wrote:
    > I have little knowledge about Linux. I have just installed Fedora Core
    > 4 on an old machine. The installation will go into a white screen in
    > GUI installation, so I did the installation in text mode. But at
    > startup, it passes GRUB, and then goes into the same while screen. Then
    > it hangs there. I do not know what it is going on there because nothing
    > is displayed.
    >
    > The machine's configuration: AMD Thunderbird 1GHz, 256M RAM, 6G hard
    > disk, Trident display card (Generic), Siemens (MCM 17P1).
    >
    > I installed RedHat 9 on the same machine before and it worked well. The
    > display card and monitor are the same. The only difference is that FC4
    > now think I have a 3-key mouse. In fact, it has only 2 keys. Could that
    > be the problem? How could I change the configuration to correct this? I
    > do not remember the mouse detected by RedHat 9 and the harddisk is
    > formatted by FC4 installation.
    >
    > I do not know what it is in that blank whilte screen. And I am not sure
    > what goes wrong and how to troubleshoot.
    >
    > Can anyone kindly provide some guide?
    >
    > Thanks a lot in advance!

  3. Re: Fedora Core 4 startup goes into a white screen

    This has turned into a rather well-known bug in FC4. If you want to
    read all the details go to bugzilla.redhat.com, select Fedora and
    FC4 and xorg-x11 or something like that as the components and
    then use "white screen" as the search term. It affects certain
    makes of video hardware, including Trident CyberBlade. The cause
    is a line of code in a certain library which was optimized away by
    the new gcc compiler and needs to be executed repeatedly.

    There are several ways to get around the problem and get a functioning
    system. One is to do the install in text mode, then get the xorg-x11
    updates from one of the update mirror sites and install it and then
    proceed to the X configuration step. The bugzilla discussion will also
    tell you that you can get a certain x11 module from an older release
    like FC3 and put that in in place of the bad one, and then you are
    OK to go.

    Then there was a fellow who made up a Fedora Core 4.1 Unofficial CD
    set, that has a bunch of updates applied so you don't have to spend
    a week applying updates after you install FC4. This was available
    only through bittorrent, which may or may not be a problem for you.
    I don't know if it is still available, the last I read he was going
    to start on a 4.2 Unofficial CD set since there have been many updates
    since the 4.1 Unofficial. Go to the www.fedoraforum.org web site and
    search for FC 4.1 Unofficial. The CD set does contain the updated
    X11 and gcc, so you can install from it and everything will work.
    --

    jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

  4. Re: Fedora Core 4 startup goes into a white screen

    In article ,
    haynes@alumni.uark.edu says...
    > This has turned into a rather well-known bug in FC4. If you want to
    > read all the details go to bugzilla.redhat.com, select Fedora and
    > FC4 and xorg-x11 or something like that as the components and
    > then use "white screen" as the search term. It affects certain
    > makes of video hardware, including Trident CyberBlade. The cause
    > is a line of code in a certain library which was optimized away by
    > the new gcc compiler and needs to be executed repeatedly.
    >
    > There are several ways to get around the problem and get a functioning
    > system. One is to do the install in text mode, then get the xorg-x11
    > updates from one of the update mirror sites and install it and then
    > proceed to the X configuration step. The bugzilla discussion will also
    > tell you that you can get a certain x11 module from an older release
    > like FC3 and put that in in place of the bad one, and then you are
    > OK to go.
    >
    > Then there was a fellow who made up a Fedora Core 4.1 Unofficial CD
    > set, that has a bunch of updates applied so you don't have to spend
    > a week applying updates after you install FC4. This was available
    > only through bittorrent, which may or may not be a problem for you.
    > I don't know if it is still available, the last I read he was going
    > to start on a 4.2 Unofficial CD set since there have been many updates
    > since the 4.1 Unofficial. Go to the www.fedoraforum.org web site and
    > search for FC 4.1 Unofficial. The CD set does contain the updated
    > X11 and gcc, so you can install from it and everything will work.

    I haven't installed FC4 yet, so haven't seen this particular problem.

    However, this is the kind of really good info that some of the guys/gals
    who contribute to this news group regularly provide. I am impressed and
    thankful that we all have access to such great resources.

    Good reply and thanks again from someone, not even having the problem,
    who found the info/solution interesting and informative.

  5. Re: Fedora Core 4 startup goes into a white screen

    I would say that certain kernels should only be installed on certain
    machines. I have found that Red Hat cd's will install very slowly on a
    machine that it considers too slow and inadequately equipped no matter
    what the 'manual' says.

    so here goes:
    Kernel 2.0 is good for 486 and 386 machines but you need to be able to
    boot (or at least read) the CD. This sometimes works with generic SCSI
    boards but it generally won't work with a proprietary SCSI board for
    the CD, some latter 486 also will allow the CD to be attached to the
    main drive channel on a slot controller board, and that will work. (pre
    RedHat6.1, Slackware 3.5, Caldera Linux ?)

    Kernel 2.2 is good for Pentium Classics (though I would start with 180
    Mhz) and all Pentium 2's and PROs (RedHat 6.1-7.1)

    Kernel 2.4 is good for the Celeron (Pentium 3 Coppermine) and Pentium 3
    (RedHat 8-Fedora(1))

    Kernel 2.6 is good for the Pentium 4 (Fedora2 -Fedora4)

    I know used to be that kernels were supplied with endings like i386.rpm
    and i586.rpm, i686.rpm but these don't seem available on the
    installation disks (esp publisher's editions); and I even wonder if
    they really worked back then.

    Since when Linux was being developed by Linus Tovalds, the designer of
    Minix chided Linus for making free software that required most modern
    and expensive computers (Minix had a price, wasn't free).

    A lot of scuttlebut in 'manuals' and on the internet implies that Linux
    is less demanding of a computer's resources than is the equivalent
    Windows machine. That may work for webservers or even file servers but
    not for workstations or desktop machines, in these latter Linux
    requires more resources and better machines to achieve same performance
    as Windows.

    A caveat here: Linux oftentimes does not utilize the full resources of
    a computer, so in a way it may require less than Window which allocates
    all resources to the existing configuration (and anything you add like
    a netcard or modem or any slot item, or even a DVDRW will have to
    muscle it's way in (on MSWindows) to gain resources and this may make
    some other system not work or not work as well (like you sound can go
    out, or your Video will go to 16 color). in this way Linux is better
    at allocating resources and saving some for later use, and so it may be
    an excellent webserver or even fileserver (if you have files or
    applications to serve), because it can adapt to changing circumstances
    and can accomodate an amazing array of devices (if it can configure
    them).

    Another thing Linux has going for it, is that it has never abandoned
    the command line as has Microsoft (in getting rid of DOS), and this is
    a very powerful tool (they now have 531 commands in Linux -- and for
    those Microsoft people that say: That's why Linux takes a Manual well
    this is partly why, and also Win XP would have done well to have a
    bigger 'manual' for all those non-wonks that bought machines with it
    installed and then couldn't move their files from
    Win3.x,95,98,ME,MSDOS, or whatever--also I chide you Microsoft folks
    because way back in the 486 days you provided large manuals for both
    Windows and Dos for buyers of new machines.)

  6. Re: Fedora Core 4 startup goes into a white screen

    Greg and Jim, thanks a lot for your detailed explanation and solution!

    Now I will do the following.
    1. Download
    http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu....49.2.i386.rpm
    2. Change /etc/inittab to start in text mode.
    3. Install the downloaded xorg-x11 update. Hope I can figure out how to
    install this in text mode.

    The bug "168713 - Cyberblade noaccel missing symbols"
    (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=168713) was
    reported on 2005-09-19 13:40 EST. The update was dated 22-Sep-2005
    00:18. I am not sure if this update can solve the probelm. Will try and
    let you know.

    Thanks!

  7. Re: Fedora Core 4 startup goes into a white screen

    blackpuppy wrote:

    > Greg and Jim, thanks a lot for your detailed explanation and solution!
    >
    > Now I will do the following.
    > 1. Download

    http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu....49.2.i386.rpm
    > 2. Change /etc/inittab to start in text mode.
    > 3. Install the downloaded xorg-x11 update. Hope I can figure out how to
    > install this in text mode.

    It really easy, as root from where the download xorg packages are (it's a
    good idea to get all the updated xorg-x11 packages you need first);

    rpm -Uvh xorg*.rpm

    Now as I said it is a good idea to update all the xorg-x11 rpms that you
    need, so first you might want the list of the packages you need to
    download/have;

    rpm -qa 'xorg*' | sort

    If you do not have all of the updates but you have a working fast Internet
    connection (DSL or better) you can try;

    rpm -Fvh
    http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu.../xorg-x11*.rpm

    The above is one long line with a space after the -Fvh portion and before
    the rest (the second line).

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."

  8. Re: Fedora Core 4 startup goes into a white screen

    Sounds like you've got it. Just put the new x11 rpm somewhere and then
    #rpm -Fvh xorg*rpm
    and it will install
    Then at your leisure you can install the rest of the updates.
    --

    jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

  9. Re: Fedora Core 4 startup goes into a white screen

    To update xorg-x11.i386, I tried rpm and found it requires some
    dependencies. Then I have found a easier solution.

    Since I have a broadband connection, I can use yum. I use the following
    command.

    yum update xorg-x11.i386

    It will do the following.
    1. connect to the redhat web site and check the update for the
    specified package
    2. build a transaction set including all the dependency packages
    3. after getting my confirmation, it will continue to download the
    updates
    4. after confirmation, it will update the packages

    This saves me all the dirty work.

    After that, I use vi to change inittab back to start in GUI mode. Now
    my FC4 is up and running.

    The reference book I used is Spring into Linux by Janet Valade (ISBN:
    0-13-185354-6). It is good jump-start for a Linux beginner like me.
    Hope this is also of some help to other newbies.

    Thanks a lot for all the warm-hearted gurus!

+ Reply to Thread