Some programs can't play sound. - Redhat

This is a discussion on Some programs can't play sound. - Redhat ; Howdy. For the most part, sound is working fine for me. Xmms plays fine. I can play audio CDs just fine. I can record. I can play multiple simultaneous sounds. I can play from /dev/dsp or /dev/audio. But... A few ...

  1. Some programs can't play sound.

    Howdy.

    For the most part, sound is working fine for me. Xmms plays fine. I can
    play audio CDs just fine. I can record. I can play multiple simultaneous
    sounds. I can play from /dev/dsp or /dev/audio.

    But...

    A few things will generate this error:

    audio_alsa: no cards found!

    I am using Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang), but I had trouble with some
    hardware being recognized with the default kernel and I have gone over to
    2.4.27. I fear that this is my base problem, but my hope is that there is
    a simple fix without having to fight with the 2.6 kernel again.

    Some info:
    Linux wombat.wombatz.com 2.4.27 #2 Sat Dec 10 06:08:35 PST 2005 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

    I just rebuilt this to change to modularized sound, but that has not
    changed this problem in any way that I can find.

    Kernel config options for sound:
    CONFIG_SOUND=m
    CONFIG_SOUND_EMU10K1=m
    CONFIG_MIDI_EMU10K1=y

    Module Size Used by Tainted: PF
    emu10k1 64652 0
    ac97_codec 16180 0 [emu10k1]
    sound 70600 0 [emu10k1]
    soundcore 6372 7 [emu10k1 sound]

    lspci info:
    00:10.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game Port (rev 08)

    --
    Doug Herr
    doug*at*wombatz*dot*com

  2. Re: Some programs can't play sound.

    Doug Herr wrote:

    > Howdy.
    >
    > For the most part, sound is working fine for me. Xmms plays fine. I can
    > play audio CDs just fine. I can record. I can play multiple simultaneous
    > sounds. I can play from /dev/dsp or /dev/audio.
    >
    > But...
    >
    > A few things will generate this error:
    >
    > audio_alsa: no cards found!
    >
    > I am using Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang), but I had trouble with some
    > hardware being recognized with the default kernel and I have gone over to
    > 2.4.27. I fear that this is my base problem, but my hope is that there is
    > a simple fix without having to fight with the 2.6 kernel again.

    No, no, no this is not the way if your having hardware issues instead of
    downgrading and breaking things, build your own 2.6.X.y kernel.

    > Some info:
    > Linux wombat.wombatz.com 2.4.27 #2 Sat Dec 10 06:08:35 PST 2005 i686
    > athlon i386 GNU/Linux
    >
    > I just rebuilt this to change to modularized sound, but that has not
    > changed this problem in any way that I can find.
    >
    > Kernel config options for sound:
    > CONFIG_SOUND=m
    > CONFIG_SOUND_EMU10K1=m
    > CONFIG_MIDI_EMU10K1=y

    Try building your own vanilla 2.6.14.3 kernel then, nothing says you have to
    stay with the Fedora supplied kernels;

    http://kernel.org/

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."

  3. Re: Some programs can't play sound.

    On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 17:24:20 +0000, Lenard wrote:

    [snip]
    >> I am using Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang), but I had trouble with
    >> some hardware being recognized with the default kernel and I have gone
    >> over to 2.4.27. I fear that this is my base problem, but my hope is
    >> that there is a simple fix without having to fight with the 2.6 kernel
    >> again.

    > No, no, no this is not the way if your having hardware issues instead of
    > downgrading and breaking things, build your own 2.6.X.y kernel.

    [snip]
    > Try building your own vanilla 2.6.14.3 kernel then, nothing says you
    > have to stay with the Fedora supplied kernels;
    >
    > http://kernel.org/

    Fully agree. I should have been more clear. I did build my own 2.6
    kernel after I installed FC2. But there was trouble that was solved by
    going to the most current (at the time) 2.4 kernel.

    --
    Doug Herr
    doug*at*wombatz*dot*com

+ Reply to Thread