newbie questions. fc4/samba = localhost & installing stuff - Redhat

This is a discussion on newbie questions. fc4/samba = localhost & installing stuff - Redhat ; I just installed linux for the first time. Everything seemed to go fine. I figured out how to activate my nic and I can surf the web fine. I created a folder share with samba and all my windows computers ...

  1. newbie questions. fc4/samba = localhost & installing stuff

    I just installed linux for the first time. Everything seemed to go fine. I
    figured out how to activate my nic and I can surf the web fine. I created a
    folder share with samba and all my windows computers can see it on the
    network, the problem is that the computer name is "localhost" and for
    obvious reasons I can't access it from any other computers.

    How do you change the computer name on linux? I did a google search last
    night and I actually dont have the papers with me but when I tried following
    steps they didn't work because the files were always locked... i think there
    was some stuff in etc/hostname.txt and etc/samba or something like that.
    Anyways, when I tried opening the files and changing localhost to something
    else it wouldn't save. I did stop the smb service too just to see if that
    was the cause of the locks.

    2nd thing is, how do I access other computers on the network in linux? The
    computer is in my closet so the steps aren't fresh in my mind but I believe
    I tried something like home, remote folders or localnetwork (there were 3
    network like shortcuts I believe but I think the 3rd was samba) anyways,
    when I tried any of the 2 it mentioned something about a lisa daemon not
    being loaded.

    3rd, how do you install stuff? I've downloaded 2 files and they are tar.gz
    and it looks like everything in this tar.gz is source code, is there some
    kind of windows equiv to an exe or do you just compile stuff, and if the
    2nd, how do you do that?

    Thanks

  2. Re: newbie questions. fc4/samba = localhost & installing stuff

    Robert Blackwell wrote:
    > I just installed linux for the first time. Everything seemed to go fine. I
    > figured out how to activate my nic and I can surf the web fine. I created a
    > folder share with samba and all my windows computers can see it on the
    > network, the problem is that the computer name is "localhost" and for
    > obvious reasons I can't access it from any other computers.
    >
    > How do you change the computer name on linux? I did a google search last
    > night and I actually dont have the papers with me but when I tried following
    > steps they didn't work because the files were always locked... i think there
    > was some stuff in etc/hostname.txt and etc/samba or something like that.
    > Anyways, when I tried opening the files and changing localhost to something
    > else it wouldn't save. I did stop the smb service too just to see if that
    > was the cause of the locks.
    >
    > 2nd thing is, how do I access other computers on the network in linux? The
    > computer is in my closet so the steps aren't fresh in my mind but I believe
    > I tried something like home, remote folders or localnetwork (there were 3
    > network like shortcuts I believe but I think the 3rd was samba) anyways,
    > when I tried any of the 2 it mentioned something about a lisa daemon not
    > being loaded.
    >
    > 3rd, how do you install stuff? I've downloaded 2 files and they are tar.gz
    > and it looks like everything in this tar.gz is source code, is there some
    > kind of windows equiv to an exe or do you just compile stuff, and if the
    > 2nd, how do you do that?
    >
    > Thanks

    Tell us what Linux distro first. Some of the stuff you are asking might
    depend on that.

  3. Re: newbie questions. fc4/samba = localhost & installing stuff

    Fedora 4

  4. Re: newbie questions. fc4/samba = localhost & installing stuff

    Robert Blackwell wrote:
    > Fedora 4

    OK - item one

    I am presuming here that your FC4 install forced you to enter a username
    other than root (Administrator).

    make sure you are not connected to the Internet and log in as root. Look
    in the folder /etc for a file called `sudoers'. add a line to that file
    (anywhere will do) that says (you have to fill in the blanks here)

    [this is a blank - put your username here - leave out the square
    brackets] ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

    e.g.
    fred ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

    Item two

    Once you have done this, never EVER log in as root - too dangerous

    Item three

    You can now install programs by using the `rpm' command, or by using `yum'

    `rpm' is easier for an absolute newbie

    Look for the programs you want to install - get the version that does
    not include `.src'. Download to yur home directory.

    To install open a terminal (like a DOS box - found under Start (= the
    Red Hat) => System Tools). This should open at your home directory. you
    can then install your program by typing at the command prompt:

    sudo rpm -ivh [your program install rpm]

    That will install the executable directly, in the correct directory.

    Item four

    To set the computer name, once again click on the RedHat. Select `System
    Settings => Network'. You will be prompted for root password. In the
    Network Configuration dialog box that comes up, select the `DNS' box -
    this will allow you to set the hostname of your box. Make sure you do a
    `File => Save' when you have set it.

    Hope this all helps.

    Steve

  5. Re: newbie questions. fc4/samba = localhost & installing stuff

    The main thing I want to install is squid proxy and they dont have .rpm
    downloads on their site, just
    tar.gz / tar.bz2 diff / diff.gz

    I'll try your steps when I get home.

  6. Re: newbie questions. fc4/samba = localhost & installing stuff

    Robert Blackwell wrote:

    > The main thing I want to install is squid proxy and they dont have .rpm
    > downloads on their site, just
    > tar.gz / tar.bz2 diff / diff.gz
    >
    > I'll try your steps when I get home.

    squid comes on the FC4 CD's:

    $ rpm -qi squid
    Name : squid Relocations: (not relocatable)
    Version : 2.5.STABLE11 Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
    Release : 3.FC4 Build Date: Thu 20 Oct 2005
    04:48:28 AM EDT
    Install Date: Mon 24 Oct 2005 10:02:17 PM EDT Build Host:
    bugs.build.redhat.com
    Group : System Environment/Daemons Source RPM:
    squid-2.5.STABLE11-3.FC4.src.rpm
    Size : 3203360 License: GPL
    Signature : DSA/SHA1, Thu 20 Oct 2005 09:47:09 AM EDT, Key ID
    b44269d04f2a6fd2
    Packager : Red Hat, Inc.

    I recommend you install and configure yum, maybe even yumex. Take a look,
    also at fedorafaq.org

    HTH,
    Tim

    --
    Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz), Linux 2.6.14-1.1644_FC4
    KDE: 3.5.0-1.1.fc4.kde, xorg-x11-6.8.2-37.FC4.49.2

  7. Re: newbie questions. fc4/samba = localhost & installing stuff

    Thanks for the link and info again.

+ Reply to Thread