Fedora Install Curiousity - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fedora Install Curiousity - Redhat ; At a book sale, I bought a set of Fedor Core 1 install disks for 50 cents. I have a play computer that I try out new software; new to me, that is. The play computer has RH 9 installed ...

  1. Fedora Install Curiousity

    At a book sale, I bought a set of Fedor Core 1 install disks for 50
    cents. I have a play computer that I try out new software; new to me,
    that is. The play computer has RH 9 installed on it.

    So I have the option to run an update, so I do. To my surprise, when the
    update is almost over, it asks for disk 3. Oh, oh. I only have two
    disks.

    The only way I can get out of this is by hitting reset.

    The computer reboots, and Voila, Fedora shows up. Passwords have not
    been changed. All works. I do have to reset my preferences.

    My son says that maybe it did not really install. But then again, all
    the Red Hats are gone and Fedora shows up.

    As far as I could tell, what it wanted disk 3 for is to install some
    German fonts. Only about 8M to go, or so the progress bar said.

    How can I tell if I really have an update to Fedora?

    Can anyone explain what happened?

    Al

  2. Re: Fedora Install Curiousity

    Al wrote:
    > At a book sale, I bought a set of Fedor Core 1 install disks for 50
    > cents. I have a play computer that I try out new software; new to me,
    > that is. The play computer has RH 9 installed on it.
    >
    > So I have the option to run an update, so I do. To my surprise, when the
    > update is almost over, it asks for disk 3. Oh, oh. I only have two
    > disks.
    >
    > The only way I can get out of this is by hitting reset.
    >
    > The computer reboots, and Voila, Fedora shows up. Passwords have not
    > been changed. All works. I do have to reset my preferences.

    > Can anyone explain what happened?

    You upgraded everything that was on the first two CDs. You should
    probably cruise the RedHat mirrors to get the third CD and all the
    errata updates, at the very least. Then head over to the Fedora Legacy
    project for more updates.

  3. Re: Fedora Install Curiousity

    Try a uname -a

    My FC installation gives:
    Linux [mycompname] *2.6.12-1.1381_FC3* #1 ......
    clearly showing it is running FC3

    Al wrote:
    > At a book sale, I bought a set of Fedor Core 1 install disks for 50
    > cents. I have a play computer that I try out new software; new to me,
    > that is. The play computer has RH 9 installed on it.
    >
    > So I have the option to run an update, so I do. To my surprise, when the
    > update is almost over, it asks for disk 3. Oh, oh. I only have two
    > disks.
    >
    > The only way I can get out of this is by hitting reset.
    >
    > The computer reboots, and Voila, Fedora shows up. Passwords have not
    > been changed. All works. I do have to reset my preferences.
    >
    > My son says that maybe it did not really install. But then again, all
    > the Red Hats are gone and Fedora shows up.
    >
    > As far as I could tell, what it wanted disk 3 for is to install some
    > German fonts. Only about 8M to go, or so the progress bar said.
    >
    > How can I tell if I really have an update to Fedora?
    >
    > Can anyone explain what happened?
    >
    > Al

  4. Re: Fedora Install Curiousity

    In article ,
    Allen Kistler wrote:

    > Al wrote:
    > > At a book sale, I bought a set of Fedor Core 1 install disks for 50
    > > cents. I have a play computer that I try out new software; new to me,
    > > that is. The play computer has RH 9 installed on it.
    > >
    > > So I have the option to run an update, so I do. To my surprise, when the
    > > update is almost over, it asks for disk 3. Oh, oh. I only have two
    > > disks.
    > >
    > > The only way I can get out of this is by hitting reset.
    > >
    > > The computer reboots, and Voila, Fedora shows up. Passwords have not
    > > been changed. All works. I do have to reset my preferences.

    > > Can anyone explain what happened?

    > You upgraded everything that was on the first two CDs. You should
    > probably cruise the RedHat mirrors to get the third CD and all the
    > errata updates, at the very least. Then head over to the Fedora Legacy
    > project for more updates.

    Yup, Core 1 really did install as an update without the 3rd disk.
    Haven't had any problems yet.

    I've also played with the Ubuntu live CD. Neat, but slow as molasses on
    the play computer. BTW, 300MHz and 128M RAM.

    Al

+ Reply to Thread