Setting up a public samba share ... access denied problems - Redhat

This is a discussion on Setting up a public samba share ... access denied problems - Redhat ; Morning one and all. I have just installed a fresh Fedora 4 and after doing a yum update everything is as uptodate as i can possibly make it on this fine wet morning. All i want is a simple directory ...

  1. Setting up a public samba share ... access denied problems

    Morning one and all. I have just installed a fresh Fedora 4 and after
    doing a yum update everything is as uptodate as i can possibly make it
    on this fine wet morning.

    All i want is a simple directory that is read/write to all my users in
    my network without any username or passwords on their part. I have
    followed all the HowTo's and I have also looked extensively in Google
    and while i see many others with my problems, i see no resolutions.

    NB: This isn't a WindowsXP problem, as the smbmount from another linux
    box, can not write to the directory either. There is no firewall
    currently running on box, although SELinux is.

    Present situation:
    - all clients can read, but no one can write
    - the user nobody, is what apache/mysql is running under with no
    problems

    I am pulling my hair out here, as I am sure it is something stupid.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

    thank you.

    Config___________
    guest account = nobody
    security = share
    encrypt passwords = yes
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    [everything else left as the default]

    [webroot]
    path = /coredata/webroot/
    public = yes
    guest ok = yes
    guest account = nobody
    browsable = yes
    writable = yes
    force user = nobody

    /etc/samba/smbusers ___________
    # Unix_name = SMB_name1 SMB_name2 ...
    root = administrator admin
    nobody = guest pcguest smbguest

    Directory___________
    [root@skye coredata]# ls -l
    total 16
    drwxrwxrw- 2 nobody nobody 4096 Dec 4 09:09 webroot

    Log Output___________
    [2005/12/04 09:20:50, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(642)
    a.b.c.d (a.b.c.d) connect to service webroot initially as user nobody
    (uid=99, gid=99) (pid 28826)

  2. Re: Setting up a public samba share ... access denied problems

    > drwxrwxrw- 2 nobody nobody 4096 Dec 4 09:09 webroot

    ^

    Could that missing execute bit be doing it ?

  3. Re: Setting up a public samba share ... access denied problems

    Alan,

    Not sure if you got an answer for this or not, but I had to modify the
    settings on the drive
    from my Windows machine. That is how I was able to make the WIndows
    Samba share writable from my linux (FC2) desktop.

    Joe

+ Reply to Thread