Help: Linux hangs - Redhat

This is a discussion on Help: Linux hangs - Redhat ; My linux (RedHat, AS 3.0) often hangs by itself, no key board, screen, pinging available, I have to reboot it to bring it back to normal. And there is no error message at the dmesg regarding to this hanging. After ...

  1. Help: Linux hangs

    My linux (RedHat, AS 3.0) often hangs by itself, no key board, screen,
    pinging available, I have to reboot it to bring it back to normal. And
    there is no error message at the dmesg regarding to this hanging.

    After I rebooted, I did see some messages like:
    Device 08:50 not ready.
    I/O error: dev 08:50, sector 0
    Device 08:50 not ready.
    I/O error: dev 08:50, sector 0
    Device 08:60 not ready.
    I/O error: dev 08:60, sector 0
    Device 08:60 not ready.
    I/O error: dev 08:60, sector 0
    but the server seems functioning well.

    Could somebody tell me what could be the problem?

    Thanks very much for your help.

  2. Re: Help: Linux hangs

    joe bayer wrote:
    > My linux (RedHat, AS 3.0) often hangs by itself, no key board, screen,
    > pinging available, I have to reboot it to bring it back to normal. And
    > there is no error message at the dmesg regarding to this hanging.
    >
    > After I rebooted, I did see some messages like:
    > Device 08:50 not ready.
    > I/O error: dev 08:50, sector 0
    > Device 08:50 not ready.
    > I/O error: dev 08:50, sector 0
    > Device 08:60 not ready.
    > I/O error: dev 08:60, sector 0
    > Device 08:60 not ready.
    > I/O error: dev 08:60, sector 0
    > but the server seems functioning well.
    >
    > Could somebody tell me what could be the problem?
    >
    > Thanks very much for your help.

    Check the following location:
    /var/log/messages

    That should indicate the problem. You also could have a HDD on the verge
    of departing
    this earthly realm. Hopefully you have a backup procedure in plan on a
    regualr basis in
    the event you lose a HDD.

    Good luck,

    Joe