Fedora and Adobe Reader - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fedora and Adobe Reader - Redhat ; I am trying to install Adobe's Reader 7.0 in Fedora Core 4. It seems to install fine and runs when selected, but if I click on almost any of the menu items, preferences being a big one, the program closes ...

  1. Fedora and Adobe Reader

    I am trying to install Adobe's Reader 7.0 in Fedora Core 4. It seems to
    install fine and runs when selected, but if I click on almost any of the
    menu items, preferences being a big one, the program closes without any
    messages.

    Since I am fairly new, can anyone lead me to a trouble shooting method
    that will help find the problem. I did try strace, but it locks up and
    a reboot is required, assuming I am doing it right. What I did see was
    an indication that some folders might be missing, like
    root/.icons/Bluecurve/index.theme and
    usr/share/pixmaps/default/cursors/Left_side. If either one of these is
    important, do you know where I can get them.

    Thanks,
    Clark

  2. Re: Fedora and Adobe Reader

    Clark wrote:
    > I am trying to install Adobe's Reader 7.0 in Fedora Core 4. It seems to
    > install fine and runs when selected, but if I click on almost any of the
    > menu items, preferences being a big one, the program closes without any
    > messages.
    >
    > Since I am fairly new, can anyone lead me to a trouble shooting method
    > that will help find the problem. I did try strace, but it locks up and
    > a reboot is required, assuming I am doing it right. What I did see was
    > an indication that some folders might be missing, like
    > root/.icons/Bluecurve/index.theme and
    > usr/share/pixmaps/default/cursors/Left_side. If either one of these is
    > important, do you know where I can get them.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Clark

    I haven't tried installing Adobe Reader, but perhaps you'll want to look
    into kdpf or xpdf as alternatives. If you do prefer Adobe, hopefully
    someone else will be able to help you out.

  3. Re: Fedora and Adobe Reader

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:59:12 +0000, Clark wrote:

    > I am trying to install Adobe's Reader 7.0 in Fedora Core 4. It seems to
    > install fine and runs when selected, but if I click on almost any of the
    > menu items, preferences being a big one, the program closes without any
    > messages.
    >
    > Since I am fairly new, can anyone lead me to a trouble shooting method
    > that will help find the problem. I did try strace, but it locks up and
    > a reboot is required, assuming I am doing it right. What I did see was
    > an indication that some folders might be missing, like
    > root/.icons/Bluecurve/index.theme and
    > usr/share/pixmaps/default/cursors/Left_side. If either one of these is
    > important, do you know where I can get them.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Clark

    I'm running Acroread on FC4. I installed it from the tar file not from the
    rpm. I'm not having the problems you are but there are some bad bugs in
    Acroread. There is a memory leak that can causes Acroread to get huge,
    I've see it suck up about a gigabyte overnight. It also goes into a mode
    where it consumes 100% of the CPU, it's a low priority thread that's doing
    it so you can still use it even when it's in that mode. In both cases the
    solution is to shut it down and restart it. In FC3 it has another problem
    where it would eat 10Mb of X server memory every time you opened a menu,
    it doesn't do that in FC4.

  4. Re: Fedora and Adobe Reader

    I have tried installing using both the RPM and the tar. With the RPM it
    will run, but not well. With the tar, it will not even start. I figure
    it must be some type of path problem, but I have installed all the
    libraries I think I need.

    I installed it in Ubuntu without problems, so something about the way
    Fedora is set up must be different and causing a problem.

    Clark

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:59:12 +0000, Clark wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to install Adobe's Reader 7.0 in Fedora Core 4. It seems to
    >> install fine and runs when selected, but if I click on almost any of the
    >> menu items, preferences being a big one, the program closes without any
    >> messages.
    >>
    >> Since I am fairly new, can anyone lead me to a trouble shooting method
    >> that will help find the problem. I did try strace, but it locks up and
    >> a reboot is required, assuming I am doing it right. What I did see was
    >> an indication that some folders might be missing, like
    >> root/.icons/Bluecurve/index.theme and
    >> usr/share/pixmaps/default/cursors/Left_side. If either one of these is
    >> important, do you know where I can get them.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Clark

    > I'm running Acroread on FC4. I installed it from the tar file not from the
    > rpm. I'm not having the problems you are but there are some bad bugs in
    > Acroread. There is a memory leak that can causes Acroread to get huge,
    > I've see it suck up about a gigabyte overnight. It also goes into a mode
    > where it consumes 100% of the CPU, it's a low priority thread that's doing
    > it so you can still use it even when it's in that mode. In both cases the
    > solution is to shut it down and restart it. In FC3 it has another problem
    > where it would eat 10Mb of X server memory every time you opened a menu,
    > it doesn't do that in FC4.

  5. Re: Fedora and Adobe Reader

    Clark wrote:
    > I am trying to install Adobe's Reader 7.0 in Fedora Core 4. It seems to
    > install fine and runs when selected, but if I click on almost any of the
    > menu items, preferences being a big one, the program closes without any
    > messages.
    >
    > Since I am fairly new, can anyone lead me to a trouble shooting method
    > that will help find the problem. I did try strace, but it locks up and
    > a reboot is required, assuming I am doing it right. What I did see was
    > an indication that some folders might be missing, like
    > root/.icons/Bluecurve/index.theme and
    > usr/share/pixmaps/default/cursors/Left_side. If either one of these is
    > important, do you know where I can get them.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Clark

    Try running acroread from the command line instead of from the Gnome
    menu. acroread will usually output its errors into the terminal session
    then.

+ Reply to Thread