which terminal is pts/2 - Redhat

This is a discussion on which terminal is pts/2 - Redhat ; fedora core 4 - when I run ps output shows tty is pts/2 what is pts/2 ? thanks...

  1. which terminal is pts/2

    fedora core 4 - when I run ps
    output shows tty is pts/2

    what is pts/2 ? thanks

  2. Re: which terminal is pts/2

    Bob wrote:

    > fedora core 4 - when I run ps
    > output shows tty is pts/2
    >
    > what is pts/2 ? thanks

    It should be console opened in GUI (GNOME, KDE) window.
    The tty1 (to tty6) would be console that you get after Ctrl-Alt-F1 (to F6).

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  3. Re: which terminal is pts/2

    "Rajko M." wrote in message
    > Bob wrote:
    >
    >> fedora core 4 - when I run ps
    >> output shows tty is pts/2
    >>
    >> what is pts/2 ? thanks

    > It should be console opened in GUI (GNOME, KDE) window.
    > The tty1 (to tty6) would be console that you get after Ctrl-Alt-F1 (to
    > F6).
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Rajko.

    I know that tty is (terminal) - what does the pts/2 mean or stand for ??

  4. Re: which terminal is pts/2

    Bob wrote:

    > "Rajko M." wrote in message
    >> Bob wrote:
    >>
    >>> fedora core 4 - when I run ps
    >>> output shows tty is pts/2
    >>>
    >>> what is pts/2 ? thanks

    >> It should be console opened in GUI (GNOME, KDE) window.
    >> The tty1 (to tty6) would be console that you get after Ctrl-Alt-F1 (to
    >> F6).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Rajko.

    > I know that tty is (terminal) - what does the pts/2 mean or stand for
    > ??

    I can't say exactly what pts stand for, ts is terminal server or service,
    pts could be processing terminal service.

    The abbreviation is used for virtual terminal within Graphical User
    Interface, and that is different from text terminals that use tty
    abbreviation which stand for teletype (tty).

    Once upon a time real typewriter were used as input/output for computers,
    and if that was not in the same room it was called teletypewriter or
    teletype. Someone used tty as abbreviation, and it holds 'till this days.

    The pts was terminal emulation on screen - virtual terminal.
    Today the only difference is
    tty=terminal seesion in text mode,
    pts=terminal session in graphic mode.

    That is the reason that you can see tty (few of them listed as processes),
    and pts/0 for first terminal session in GUI, pts/1 is second etc. As soon
    as you start console ps will report pts/0, if you strart second session it
    will show up pts/1 etc.

    HTH
    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  5. Re: which terminal is pts/2

    On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 21:18:32 -0500, Bob wrote:

    > "Rajko M." wrote in message
    >
    > I know that tty is (terminal) - what does the pts/2 mean or stand for ??

    pseudo-terminal slave. See man pts.

    --
    - Matt -

  6. Re: which terminal is pts/2

    Matt Payton wrote:

    > On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 21:18:32 -0500, Bob wrote:
    >
    >> "Rajko M." wrote in message
    >>
    >> I know that tty is (terminal) - what does the pts/2 mean or stand for
    >> ??

    > pseudo-terminal slave. See man pts.

    Thanks Matt.
    I was looking around to find what pts stands for, and couldn't find
    anything.
    Probably "apropos pts" would be enough

    --
    Regards,