e-mail not going through across two Linux machines? - Redhat

This is a discussion on e-mail not going through across two Linux machines? - Redhat ; I have two Linux machines on LAN, one is Panther and other is tiger, two users are logged onto both, user1 on Panther and user2 on Tiger, both machines can ping each other (ping panther and viceversa). if user1 sends ...

  1. e-mail not going through across two Linux machines?

    I have two Linux machines on LAN, one is Panther and other is tiger,
    two users are logged onto both, user1 on Panther and user2 on Tiger,
    both machines can ping each other (ping panther and viceversa). if
    user1 sends an e-mail to user2 ro viceversa, the e-mail can't go
    through. is there any problem with the following command (here the file
    message.txt hold the message).

    Mail -s "This is test mail from Panther machine" user2@tiger <
    message.txt

    The mail not going through. I don't have any WAN connection for this
    remote office, but users should be able to send e-mails, Is there any
    other tools available to send mails across machines in small office
    LAN. Thanks.

  2. Re: e-mail not going through across two Linux machines?

    .... after inserting a credit, santa19992000@yahoo.com leaned forward and
    saw...
    >I have two Linux machines on LAN, one is Panther and other is tiger,
    >two users are logged onto both, user1 on Panther and user2 on Tiger,
    >both machines can ping each other (ping panther and viceversa). if
    >user1 sends an e-mail to user2 ro viceversa, the e-mail can't go
    >through.

    What mail server are you using, and what do the logs say?

    --
    "In the black sky, thunder sweeping underground and over water
    Sounds of crying, weeping, will not save

  3. Re: e-mail not going through across two Linux machines?

    The default mail server (sendmail) is running. mails are going across
    differemt users on single machine. I am getting this error, I added the
    name of the other machine in /etc/hosts file, also I added it's IP
    address. I can ping the other machine using the name as well as IP
    address and vice versa. But somehow the mail server (sendmail) not
    picking up.

    Host unknown (Name server: tiger: host not found).

    I am getting above error. Thanks.

  4. Re: e-mail not going through across two Linux machines?

    .... after inserting a credit, santa19992000@yahoo.com leaned forward and
    saw...
    >The default mail server (sendmail) is running. mails are going across
    >differemt users on single machine. I am getting this error, I added the
    >name of the other machine in /etc/hosts file, also I added it's IP
    >address. I can ping the other machine using the name as well as IP
    >address and vice versa. But somehow the mail server (sendmail) not
    >picking up.

    You'll need to restart sendmail for it to take effect, I guess. However,
    I know that sendmail doesn't like non-FQDNs (well, under Solaris etc) so
    try inventing a fake domain, such as: tiger.local.network - then sending
    to root@tiger.local.network (remember to frig your hosts files
    accordingly).

    >Host unknown (Name server: tiger: host not found).
    >
    >I am getting above error. Thanks.

    I think there's also a debug setting you can increase, so that
    /var/log/maillog* will provide more info. If you paste those logs, maybe
    a sendmail guru can help.

    I'm no sendmail expert - someone suggested I look at postfix as a mail
    server, and it's suited me fine (much easier to configure also).
    --
    "When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look, but it was gone. I cannot put my finger on it now,

+ Reply to Thread