Problems with Fedora? Use Mandriva (Mandrake) - Redhat

This is a discussion on Problems with Fedora? Use Mandriva (Mandrake) - Redhat ; On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:35:12 -0700, MrBiggles wrote: > > What's a FUD? http://www.google.com/search?q=define%FUD...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 39 of 39

  1. Re: Problems with Fedora? Use Mandriva (Mandrake)

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:35:12 -0700, MrBiggles wrote:

    > What's a FUD?

    http://www.google.com/search?q=define%FUD

  2. Re: Problems with Fedora? Use Mandriva (Mandrake)

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:29:29 -0700, MrBiggles wrote:

    > Sounds like flamebait to me, son.

    Whatever dude.

    --
    "Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed."
    Benjamin Franklin (I didn't know he was a Buddhist)

  3. Re: Problems with Fedora? Use Mandriva (Mandrake)

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:28:08 GMT in alt.os.linux, Tim Oltrogge
    favored us with...
    > Hmmmm. I've tried installing FC4 at least two dozen times in the past two
    > weeks without success.
    > All seem to be related to bad I/Os on the CDROM and/or hard drive.

    This is FC3 not FC4, but it might be applicable to you too.

    I had an install fail and the reason given was bad media. The actual
    reason was that in the install procedure FC3 didn't like the format
    of my swap partition. When I repeated the install telling it to
    format that partition, all went smoothly.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Fortunately, I live in the United States of America, where we are
    gradually coming to understand that nothing we do is ever our
    fault, especially if it is really stupid. --Dave Barry

  4. Re: Problems with Fedora? Use Mandriva (Mandrake)

    I'm a newbie to linux, and for me, Debian rocks :-).
    Did a net install, and within a couple of hours I was up and running, and
    thanks to a nice person at alt.apache.configuration I have at last got
    Apache2/Php5/MySQL working :-).

    Mandrake somehow I never got on with it.

    Tried Fedora Core 4 but the installer just crashed and burned (both GUI &
    Text).

    I tried other debian distros and like them. But decided it had to be Debian
    itself!!

  5. Re: Problems with Fedora? Use Mandriva (Mandrake)

    >> Don't believe the FUD dude.

    >What's a FUD?

    Fear Uncertainty Doubt
    Refers to a post/statement usually false which is intended to evoke those emotions
    (Mandriva was designed by Satan and will on Nov 13 2005 cause your computer
    to devour all children under 12 in all households in which it is
    installed.) That statement is FUD.

  6. Re: Problems with Fedora? Use Mandriva (Mandrake)

    Ivan Marsh wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:00:28 -0500, philo wrote:
    >

    >>MrBiggles wrote:
    >>
    >>>Just a note to any who might be in a similar situation:
    >>>
    >>>I wanted a web server, so I installed Fedora Core 4. Well after a week
    >>>of configuration/installation nightmares I decided to wipe the install
    >>>and do a fresh one. I also decided that I should investigate other
    >>>distros while I was at it.

    >>I was using RH 9 without any problems...
    >>so upgraded to FC3 and all worked fine...
    >>Think I'll be skipping the upgrade to FC4 however...
    >>and thanks for the warning.

    > Don't believe the FUD dude.

    Well RH 5.2 was my first Linux experience...
    and though it was perhaps not the absolute greatest ...it was
    a fantistic learning experience.
    What a treat to see the nice "X" appear in the middle of the screen
    of my old p-75 with 40 megs of ram!

    Anyway...since I've got dozens of HD's in removable trays...
    I always perform a test install first!

    A few months back I did numerous upgrades...
    so...since FC3 is working so well...I will prob. wait a while before
    anymore upgrading.

    I don't forsee the day that I won't have at least one FC installtion
    somewhere...
    It's a proven winner in my book.
    A very reliable old friend.

  7. Re: Problems with Fedora? Use Mandriva (Mandrake)

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:33:40 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    > Mandriva was designed by Satan and will on Nov 13 2005 cause
    > your computer to devour all children under 12 in all households in which
    > it is installed.) That statement is FUD.

    I didn't know that! I guess I'm not going to install Mandriva, then.
    somebody should write a letter or something.

    --
    JDS | jeffrey@go.away.com
    | http://www.newtnotes.com

  8. Re: Problems with Fedora? Use Mandriva (Mandrake)

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:05:32 -0500, Ivan Marsh wrote:

    > Don't believe the FUD dude.

    What FUD? Since the Red Hat / Fedora split, other distros have become
    more and more easy to install and use while Fedora has become more and
    more difficult to get installed and working properly.

    --
    JDS | jeffrey@go.away.com
    | http://www.newtnotes.com

  9. Re: Problems with Fedora? Use Mandriva (Mandrake)

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:02:01 -0500, Ivan Marsh wrote:

    > To suggest there's something fundamentally flawed with the distribution is
    > simply FUD.

    No it's not. Why, then, did mrbiggles have no problems installing
    Mandriva on the exact same hardware?

    --
    JDS | jeffrey@go.away.com
    | http://www.newtnotes.com

  10. Re: Problems with Fedora? Use Mandriva (Mandrake)

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 07:27:51 -0700, pmlonline wrote:

    > So what's the recommendation for a Linux newbie who wants a user-friendly
    > and stable desktop workstation? I only need it for web browsing, word
    > processing, and a fancy scientific calculator like AllerCalc would be

    MEPIS! MEPIS has been, by far, the easiest to install, easiest to
    configure, and most sensibly default-configured distro I have used.

    --
    JDS | jeffrey@go.away.com
    | http://www.newtnotes.com

  11. Re: Problems with Fedora? Use Mandriva (Mandrake)

    JDS wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:05:32 -0500, Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >
    >> Don't believe the FUD dude.

    > What FUD? Since the Red Hat / Fedora split, other distros have become
    > more and more easy to install and use while Fedora has become more and
    > more difficult to get installed and working properly.

    Actually, it's an individual experience. Not everyone has problems
    installing Fedora. I, for one, have had absolutely no problems installing
    and getting any Fedora version from its beginning until the latest
    publically released version working properly (other than the usual bugs
    experienced by most of us). All too often people generalise the problems
    too much, instead of seeing certain problems as an individual issue.

    Also, at times it is forgotten that some problems insofar as installation
    and perhaps post-install problems can be hardware related. When this is the
    case, I have noticed that a lot of people tend to generalise it and make it
    an overall Fedora or whatever distro problem of which would be experienced
    by everyone. Such, however, is more often the case in regard to this type
    of causative issue.

    Of course, feel free to disagree. However, my experience disproves the point
    in relation to the generalised consensus of a certain type of person.

  12. Re: Problems with Fedora? Use Mandriva (Mandrake)

    On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 17:48:35 -0400, JDS wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:02:01 -0500, Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >
    >> To suggest there's something fundamentally flawed with the distribution
    >> is simply FUD.

    > No it's not. Why, then, did mrbiggles have no problems installing
    > Mandriva on the exact same hardware?

    Because things that are different aren't the same.

    Some distros react differently to different hardware and configurations.
    Had the hardware configuration issue been fixed the distro that failed
    would have installed. It's not an issue with the distro, it's an issue
    with the hardware setup.

    --
    "Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed."
    Benjamin Franklin (I didn't know he was a Buddhist)

  13. Re: Problems with Fedora? Use Mandriva (Mandrake)

    On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 17:47:24 -0400, JDS wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:05:32 -0500, Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >
    >> Don't believe the FUD dude.

    > What FUD? Since the Red Hat / Fedora split, other distros have become
    > more and more easy to install and use while Fedora has become more and
    > more difficult to get installed and working properly.

    Like I said... I've never had an issue with any of the FC distros. A
    general damning of the distro is therefore FUD.

    --
    "Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed."
    Benjamin Franklin (I didn't know he was a Buddhist)

  14. Re: Problems with Fedora? Use Mandriva (Mandrake)

    There are, of course, other equally good solutions. I downloaded the
    Mandrivel mini-CD - about 440mb and started an install from that (it's
    supposed to be the quick and dirty install method for Mandrivel - loads
    most of the stuff from the internet). I had difficulty identifying the
    sources for the rest of the install - none of the three listed ftp sources
    did anything better than timeout, and it took me about 45 minutes of
    fishing to define an acceptable http source. The installation wound up in
    a vicious cycle and would not terminate. I had to reset, and finish the
    installation of X by hand.

    Ubuntu, on the other had, installed simply and completely from it's one
    CD. I think it's a better, more polished product for a neophyte than
    Mandrivel is.

  15. Re: Problems with Fedora? Use Mandriva (Mandrake)

    On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 13:11:34 -0600, ray wrote:

    > Ubuntu, on the other hand, installed simply and completely from it's one
    > CD. I think it's a better, more polished product for a neophyte than
    > Mandrivel is.

    Had you installed Mandriva from the 3 cd set, like Ubuntu,
    you would have a more polished product for a neophyte than Ubuntu.

    Installing from mini-CD accross the net in nothing like installing
    from cd.

    I found that Ubuntu did not live up to the hype I kept seeing in the
    newsgroups.

  16. Re: Problems with Fedora? Use Mandriva (Mandrake)

    In article <1127485671.681280.115910@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    pmlonline@gmail.com wrote:

    > So what's the recommendation for a Linux newbie who wants a
    > user-friendly and stable desktop workstation? I only need it for web
    > browsing, word processing, and a fancy scientific calculator like
    > AllerCalc would be great. A friend of mine has a 1.5 year old Mandrake
    > with a new router and says it just will not work with dhcp. I just
    > want to order some linux cd's from cheapbytes and get it working
    > without any problems. User-friendly and security are my highest
    > priorities. And stability would be nice, lol. Is there something
    > special I need to do with my router? I have it set up so the router
    > handles all the local network dhcp. The routers about 6 months old.
    > Is it using a new dhcp protocol that a 1.5 year old linux doesn't
    > understand?
    >
    > Thanks for replies,
    > Paul

    As a fellow newbie I installed Xandros OCE. It basically did everything
    right and installed faster than XP on the same machine. What impressed
    me was I first installed on a old dual PIII motherboard with a rage
    videocard and netgear 1Gb network card (just stuff i had around). The
    fans were too noisy so I moved to a newer nForce3 250 motherboard with
    64 bit Semperon and it did not blink - simply booted right up with no
    delay even though substantial chunks of the hardware were different (on
    board networking, on board audio) etc. It autoconfigured everything.
    Windows would have spent 15 minutes detecting new hard ware and would
    have forced a reactivation if XP.

    It is very user friendly.

    I am trying to run a particular piece of scientific software. If I can
    figure out how to run it I will gladly pay for any commercial version of
    Xandros because their efforts will have certainly made my life
    relatively painless.

    Roland

  17. Re: Problems with Fedora? Use Mandriva (Mandrake)

    MrBiggles wrote:
    > Just a note to any who might be in a similar situation:
    >
    > I wanted a web server, so I installed Fedora Core 4. Well after a week
    > of configuration/installation nightmares I decided to wipe the install
    > and do a fresh one. I also decided that I should investigate other
    > distros while I was at it.
    >
    > So I downloaded Mandriva LE 2005. My first choice was SUSE, because I
    > read so many rave reviews. But their install method is ridiculous. You
    > must download all the install files AS THE INSTALL IS TAKING PLACE. This
    > is insane because if something goes wrong you have to start all over
    > again. The download can take up to 3 days... yes days (if on a modem).
    >
    > So I went with Mandriva. I can report that within 3 hours of the
    > installation I had my web server up and running with Apache2, PHP, and
    > MySQL, and all properly integrated and communicating with each other.
    >
    > I also had my extra hard drive mounted and running within minutes.
    > Mandriva has a Control Center that makes configuration a complete breeze.
    >
    > I can not recommend enough that if you're new user, DO NOT INSTALL
    > FEDORA CORE 4. Install Mandriva and make your first experience with
    > linux a fond memory.
    >
    > This brings up another point... for new users, first exposure to linux
    > should be gentle, otherwise the OS risks the instant alienation of
    > potential new users. I never gave up out of necessity, but others just
    > messing around will surely give up if Fedora is their first experience
    > (and things don't go well).
    >
    > Just my words of advice to new linux users... go with Mandriva.
    > BTW, my problems with Fedora Core 4 were not user error, I had
    > everything installed as it should have been. It just didn't work, and in
    > multiple areas... ftp, php-mysql plug-in, yum, GNOME. Even the initial
    > install hung multiple times. Mandriva had no problem installing on the
    > same exact hardware - all detected perfectly.

    So the conclusion after this lengthy discussion is pretty
    straightforward: if you are happy with the just installed distro, stay
    with it. If you don't like it, take another distro, till you are
    successfull with it's installation.
    Don't ask anybody else for advise: he will tell you, that you selected
    the wrong distro. You should have taken a different one, usually the one
    he is working with. In the end, Linux is Linux, and the major distro's
    are pretty similar when it comes to easy installation.

    And last but not least: I am very sorry I have to inform you, that I am
    completely happy with Fedora Core 4 (64 bits)..

    --
    Arie Spieker
    Bergen op Zoom

  18. Re: Problems with Fedora? Use Mandriva (Mandrake)

    ray wrote:
    > There are, of course, other equally good solutions. I downloaded the
    > Mandrivel mini-CD - about 440mb and started an install from that (it's
    > supposed to be the quick and dirty install method for Mandrivel - loads
    > most of the stuff from the internet). I had difficulty identifying the
    > sources for the rest of the install - none of the three listed ftp sources
    > did anything better than timeout, and it took me about 45 minutes of
    > fishing to define an acceptable http source. The installation wound up in
    > a vicious cycle and would not terminate. I had to reset, and finish the
    > installation of X by hand.
    >
    > Ubuntu, on the other had, installed simply and completely from it's one
    > CD. I think it's a better, more polished product for a neophyte than
    > Mandrivel is.

    Just my 2 cents worth...
    I have very little experience with Mandriva, but I have been using
    Fedora since Core 1, and have run it successfully on two boxes (one
    Intel, the other AMD) right up until Core 4. Core 4 does weird things on
    my AMD box, but is perfectly solid on the Intel box.

    I have experimented with other distros on the AMD box, tried Whitebox
    for a while and now have recently installed Centos. These sanitized
    Redhat distros are very familiar in look and feel and the installation
    is identical to that of Fedora. Their stability is reassuring.

    I have experimented with Xandros. It does not like my Dell Latitude
    laptop, but is quite happy with my Dell Inspiron laptop.

    Ubuntu is amazing. It installs flawlessly on everything I have tried it
    on, including the Dell Latitude even though both Xandros and Ubuntu are
    Debian derivatives.

    Bottom line; if you find a distro with which you are uncomfortable (for
    any reason) look around and experiment with some of the other excellent
    offerings that are available.

  19. Re: Problems with Fedora? Use Mandriva (Mandrake)

    Can't find my earlier post on this thread, so pardon me for posting here.

    I gave up on installing Fedora Core 4 on my 1998 Toshiba 2515CDS laptop. For
    two weeks I tried just about every permutation of...

    text
    nofb
    ide=nodma
    allowcddma
    pci=noacpi,usepirqmask
    noapic
    nolapic
    pci=off
    acpi=off
    noisapnp
    mem=nopentium
    ide1=0x170,0x376,15

    and never could get Anaconda to reliably read my CD-ROM. The installation
    would either fail with a dump of the trace of all modules called, an error
    like 'Unable to transfer install image", or simply freeze. RedHat 7.0 has no
    problem with this machine.

    Fortunately, on the DVD which came with the September 2005 issue of LINUX
    FORMAT was also a copy of Debian 3.1. I tried it today for the first time.
    It also failed a couple times during its "Examining Hardware" loop. But I
    was able to start it with a "debconf/priority=low" and this caused it to
    spit out tons of messages as to what it was doing and give me lots of
    questions to control the loading of modules. When it wanted to load
    "yenta_socket" and "USB-storage" modules I told it to skip those and I was
    able to proceed to a non-eventful install.

    Now to do this about a dozen more times to convince myself it wasn't a
    fluke!

    For now, I guess, I'm going to climb into bed with Debian, after having used
    RedHat for about 8 years. Now, if only I could figure out this GRUB thing...
    !?!?!?!?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2