multiboot different linux distributions? - Redhat

This is a discussion on multiboot different linux distributions? - Redhat ; I can find 10,000 pointers on the web to multi booting Windows and linux with grub, yet I can't find any info about booting multiple linux distributions with grub. Any pointers? (Perhaps they are there, but obscured by the 10,000 ...

  1. multiboot different linux distributions?

    I can find 10,000 pointers on the web to multi booting Windows
    and linux with grub, yet I can't find any info about booting
    multiple linux distributions with grub. Any pointers? (Perhaps
    they are there, but obscured by the 10,000 hits for windows :-).

    I ask because I suspect I'd run into problems if I tried
    with things like fedora and opensuse. Fedora has a grub.conf
    file, suse calls it something like menu.conf. Who gets
    to be in charge?

    If I update the suse kernel in yast, and fedora is in charge, how
    does it find out about the new suse kernel (and vice-versa).

  2. Re: multiboot different linux distributions?

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:11:50 GMT, Tom Horsley wrote:
    > I can find 10,000 pointers on the web to multi booting Windows
    > and linux with grub, yet I can't find any info about booting
    > multiple linux distributions with grub. Any pointers? (Perhaps
    > they are there, but obscured by the 10,000 hits for windows :-).

    Doing a _man grub_ should get you to documentation as to how grub
    works. Then you modify the config file for which grub is going to be
    in charge.

    > I ask because I suspect I'd run into problems if I tried
    > with things like fedora and opensuse. Fedora has a grub.conf
    > file, suse calls it something like menu.conf. Who gets
    > to be in charge?

    That is the problem with being gui gifted.
    You do not get to understand how to manage the application
    configuration file.

    > If I update the suse kernel in yast, and fedora is in charge, how
    > does it find out about the new suse kernel (and vice-versa).

    You can edit the menu.lst with an editor. If the men.lst is on the
    other distribution's space, you create a mount point, mount the other
    partition, and run your editor of choice to make any change you like.

    man mkdir
    man mount
    man umount
    man fstab

    Example on suse:
    mkdir /fedora
    mount -t auto /dev/hdXY /fedora <=== you solve for X and Y
    ls /fedora
    ls /fedora/boot/grub
    umount /fedora

  3. Re: multiboot different linux distributions?

    wrote:

    > yet I can't find any info about booting
    > multiple linux distributions with grub.

    Oh, please!
    .................................................. ........

    color white/blue black/light-gray
    default 0
    timeout 8
    gfxmenu (hd0,12)/boot/message

    title SUSE LINUX 9.3
    kernel (hd0,12)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda13 vga=0x31a selinux=0
    splash=silent resume=/dev/sda15 showopts
    initrd (hd0,12)/boot/initrd

    title SUSE LINUX 9.2 on hda5
    kernel (hd0,5)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6 vga=0x31a selinux=0
    splash=silent desktop elevator=as showopts
    initrd (hd0,5)/boot/initrd

    title CentOS 4.0 (2.6.9-5.0.3.EL)
    (/dev/sda9) root (hd0,8)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-5.0.3.EL ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-5.0.3.EL.img

    title SUSE LINUX 9.3 (/dev/sda12)
    kernel (hd0,11)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda12 vga=0x31a selinux=0
    splash=silent console=tty0 resume=/dev/sda15 showopts
    initrd (hd0,11)/boot/initrd

    title Linux (/dev/sda14)
    kernel (hd0,13)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdc14 vga=0x31a selinux=0
    splash=silent resume=/dev/hdc5 elevator=cfq showopts
    initrd (hd0,13)/boot/initrd

    title Failsafe -- SUSE LINUX 9.3
    kernel (hd0,12)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda13 showopts ide=nodma
    apm=off acpi=off vga=normal noresume selinux=0 barrier=off nosmp noapic
    maxcpus=0 3
    initrd (hd0,12)/boot/initrd linux:/data6/boot/grub # >

    --
    remove MYSHOES to email

  4. Re: multiboot different linux distributions?

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:11:50 +0000, Tom Horsley wrote:

    > I can find 10,000 pointers on the web to multi booting Windows
    > and linux with grub, yet I can't find any info about booting
    > multiple linux distributions with grub. Any pointers? (Perhaps
    > they are there, but obscured by the 10,000 hits for windows :-).
    >
    > I ask because I suspect I'd run into problems if I tried
    > with things like fedora and opensuse. Fedora has a grub.conf
    > file, suse calls it something like menu.conf. Who gets
    > to be in charge?
    >
    > If I update the suse kernel in yast, and fedora is in charge, how
    > does it find out about the new suse kernel (and vice-versa).

    I don't know about suse, but Ubuntu offers to set up a dual or multiboot
    as one of the final steps in the install. It detects all OS partitions on
    the system and does a good job of setting up grub to boot them all.

  5. Re: multiboot different linux distributions?

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:11:50 +0000, Tom Horsley wrote:

    > I ask because I suspect I'd run into problems if I tried
    > with things like fedora and opensuse. Fedora has a grub.conf
    > file, suse calls it something like menu.conf. Who gets
    > to be in charge?

    grub uses menu.lst. Some distros have a symbolic link named
    /etc/grub.conf and/or /boot/grub.conf.

  6. Re: multiboot different linux distributions?

    Kenneth wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:11:50 +0000, Tom Horsley wrote:
    >

    >>I ask because I suspect I'd run into problems if I tried
    >>with things like fedora and opensuse. Fedora has a grub.conf
    >>file, suse calls it something like menu.conf. Who gets
    >>to be in charge?
    >>

    > grub uses menu.lst. Some distros have a symbolic link named
    > /etc/grub.conf and/or /boot/grub.conf.

    Grub may use menu.lst, but on my FC4 box, menu.1st is a symlink
    to grub.conf (part of redhat's most annoying trait of always
    changing the name of everything everywhere except in the
    documentation).

    Judging from all the replies, I see I should have asked a different
    question. I don't have any questions about grub, my question
    probably should have been: How smart are the postinstall scripts
    for new kernel rpms provided by the different distributions?

    Right now, they all seem to automatically edit the grub.conf
    (or menu.1st) file and install a section for the new kernel
    with options copied from the old kernel.

    Are the scripts smart enough to only make the new kernel
    the default if the currently running kernel was the old
    default?

    Are the scripts even going to try editing the config file if
    the OS currently running doesn't claim to have grub installed?

    If (for instance) both fedora and suse postinstall scripts
    try to edit the config, will one or the other of them screw
    up because menu.1st is a symlink on fedora (if that's the grub
    I install) or there is no grub.conf at all on suse (if that's the
    grub I install)?

    These are the things I wonder about - just trying to get
    a sense of how well kernel updates will work in advance
    of finding out the hard way :-).

  7. Re: multiboot different linux distributions?

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:05:15 +0000, Tom Horsley wrote:

    > Kenneth wrote:
    >> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:11:50 +0000, Tom Horsley wrote:
    >>

    >>>I ask because I suspect I'd run into problems if I tried
    >>>with things like fedora and opensuse. Fedora has a grub.conf
    >>>file, suse calls it something like menu.conf. Who gets
    >>>to be in charge?
    >>>

    >> grub uses menu.lst. Some distros have a symbolic link named
    >> /etc/grub.conf and/or /boot/grub.conf.
    >>

    > Grub may use menu.lst, but on my FC4 box, menu.1st is a symlink
    > to grub.conf (part of redhat's most annoying trait of always
    > changing the name of everything everywhere except in the
    > documentation).
    >
    > Judging from all the replies, I see I should have asked a different
    > question. I don't have any questions about grub, my question
    > probably should have been: How smart are the postinstall scripts
    > for new kernel rpms provided by the different distributions?
    >
    > Right now, they all seem to automatically edit the grub.conf
    > (or menu.1st) file and install a section for the new kernel
    > with options copied from the old kernel.
    >
    > Are the scripts smart enough to only make the new kernel
    > the default if the currently running kernel was the old
    > default?
    >
    > Are the scripts even going to try editing the config file if
    > the OS currently running doesn't claim to have grub installed?
    >
    > If (for instance) both fedora and suse postinstall scripts
    > try to edit the config, will one or the other of them screw
    > up because menu.1st is a symlink on fedora (if that's the grub
    > I install) or there is no grub.conf at all on suse (if that's the
    > grub I install)?
    >
    > These are the things I wonder about - just trying to get
    > a sense of how well kernel updates will work in advance
    > of finding out the hard way :-).

    I can't answer what the install will do if you don't already have grub set
    up. AFAIK it will also look for lilo files, but I haven't used lilo in so
    long I can't really say much about it. I have never seen the kernel
    install "break" a grub config file, it seems fairly safe. The first thing
    I do when an install completes is fix up grub.conf with and entry that
    boots the original kernel, calling it, for instance, "Fedora core (good)"
    Then I have a working kernel to boot to if the installer (or more often
    me) makes a mistake with the new kernel.

  8. Re: multiboot different linux distributions?

    selinux = 0?

    tisk.
    personally, runlevel = 2 for standalone; runlevel =3 for clustering ;

    you do havta put a default monitor in x11 but everything runs off the
    conmmandline.

    pat

  9. Re: multiboot different linux distributions?

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:11:50 +0000, Tom Horsley wrote:

    > I can find 10,000 pointers on the web to multi booting Windows
    > and linux with grub, yet I can't find any info about booting
    > multiple linux distributions with grub. Any pointers? (Perhaps
    > they are there, but obscured by the 10,000 hits for windows :-).
    >
    > I ask because I suspect I'd run into problems if I tried
    > with things like fedora and opensuse. Fedora has a grub.conf
    > file, suse calls it something like menu.conf. Who gets
    > to be in charge?
    >
    > If I update the suse kernel in yast, and fedora is in charge, how
    > does it find out about the new suse kernel (and vice-versa).

    You can have as many different distros as you want. Treat the first one as
    the master and place it's boot loader in then MBR, all of the others
    should have their boot loader placed in their root partition. Here is an
    example grub.conf ffrom on of my machines. You'll see that it chains to
    CentOS, FC4 and Windows.

    # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
    # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
    # root (hd2,4)
    # kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdd5
    # initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
    #boot=/dev/hdd5
    default=0
    timeout=5
    splashimage=(hd2,4)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

    title Fedora Core (2.6.12-1.1376_FC3)
    root (hd2,4)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-1.1376_FC3 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.12-1.1376_FC3.img
    title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.35_FC3)
    root (hd2,4)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.35_FC3 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.11-1.35_FC3.img
    title Fedora Core (2.6.11.5)
    root (hd2,4)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11.5 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.11.5.img
    title Fedora Core (2.6.12.1)
    root (hd2,4)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12.1 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.12.1.img
    title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
    root (hd2,4)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
    title Windows
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1