FC4 install stops with "Transfer install image to hard drive" error - Redhat

This is a discussion on FC4 install stops with "Transfer install image to hard drive" error - Redhat ; I've been a Linux user for ten years. My previous release was RedHat 7.0 installed on both Toshiba 315CDS and Toshiba 2515CDS laptops. I am having trouble installing FedoraCore4 on the 2515CDS machine. I haven't tried it anywhere else, either. ...

  1. FC4 install stops with "Transfer install image to hard drive" error

    I've been a Linux user for ten years. My previous release was RedHat 7.0
    installed on both Toshiba 315CDS and Toshiba 2515CDS laptops. I am having
    trouble installing FedoraCore4 on the 2515CDS machine. I haven't tried it
    anywhere else, either. I bought a copy of the "Linux Format" magazine with a
    DVD with both FC4 and Debian3.1 plastered on the front. Using my son's newer
    laptop I read the DVD and wrote the four CDs necessary to install FC4 on my
    machine which only has a CDROM reader. Setting the BIOS to boot from CDROM
    is no problem, and the RedHat anaconda install program comes up. But here is
    where the problems begin. At first I was getting spurious errors way before
    the "Transfer install image to hard drive" point. But now, by entering the
    kernel parameters mem=nopentium ide=nodma text nofb it seems that I can at
    least *reliably* get the install to always fail at the "Transfer install
    image to hard drive" location. It seems that this "Transfer install
    image..." logic is the first time that heavy CDROM *and* disk I/O are going
    on. Sometimes it fails at 1% loaded, sometimes at 30%. I know my machine is
    old, only has 96MB memory, only 12GB hard drive (which I'm allowing Linux to
    have 5GB, Windows98 has the rest), only 225MHz Pentium-II (or is it III, I
    don't know) processor. But there's got to be something simple here stopping
    me. I saw a post somewhere that someone had to use ide1=0x170,0x376,15 as a
    kernel param to force it to use interrupt 15 for his CDROM and leave IRQ14
    for the hard drive. Could FC4 be that messed up?

    Please, any suggestions?

    Tim O

  2. Re: FC4 install stops further down now

    > the "Transfer install image to hard drive" point. But now, by entering the
    > kernel parameters mem=nopentium ide=nodma text nofb it seems that I can at
    > least *reliably* get the install to always fail at the "Transfer install
    > image to hard drive" location.

    OK, this time I entered...

    linux text allowcddma ide=nodma mem=nopentium

    and made sure I asked for formatting of "/", "/boot", and swap space. It
    actually got all the way thru the "transferring install image to hard
    drive". Takes 3 or 4 minutes but it didn't fail. Now, for the first time I
    see the magnitude of the install: 745 packages taking 2.5GB that will take
    an estimated 59 minutes to do. (RH7.0 was only 850MB and loaded in about 20
    minutes.). Anyway, after running about 10 minutes and finishing about 50
    packages I get a horrible "install exited abnormally" error and everything
    grinds to a halt (after unmounting what seemed like about a dozen
    filesystems under /mnt).

    Is my 64MB swap space too small for the install procedure itself to use?
    Do I need to go thru the pain of setting up a custom installation to trim
    the packages down to 1GB or so? Is this possible?

    Tim O

  3. Re: FC4 install stops further down now

    On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:35:53 +0000, Tim Oltrogge wrote:

    >> the "Transfer install image to hard drive" point. But now, by entering the
    >> kernel parameters mem=nopentium ide=nodma text nofb it seems that I can at
    >> least *reliably* get the install to always fail at the "Transfer install
    >> image to hard drive" location.

    > OK, this time I entered...
    >
    > linux text allowcddma ide=nodma mem=nopentium
    >
    > and made sure I asked for formatting of "/", "/boot", and swap space. It
    > actually got all the way thru the "transferring install image to hard
    > drive". Takes 3 or 4 minutes but it didn't fail. Now, for the first time I
    > see the magnitude of the install: 745 packages taking 2.5GB that will take
    > an estimated 59 minutes to do. (RH7.0 was only 850MB and loaded in about 20
    > minutes.). Anyway, after running about 10 minutes and finishing about 50
    > packages I get a horrible "install exited abnormally" error and everything
    > grinds to a halt (after unmounting what seemed like about a dozen
    > filesystems under /mnt).
    >
    > Is my 64MB swap space too small for the install procedure itself to use?
    > Do I need to go thru the pain of setting up a custom installation to trim
    > the packages down to 1GB or so? Is this possible?
    >
    > Tim O

    You'll have to do some serious trimming to get it below 1GB, but it should
    be possible. I can't help with the other issues, I had spurious problems
    with FC4 install, but the third try it finished and all was ok after that.

  4. Re: FC4 install stops further down now

    "Kenneth" wrote in message
    newsan.2005.09.19.22.48.12.534534@cox.net...
    > You'll have to do some serious trimming to get it below 1GB, but it should
    > be possible. I can't help with the other issues, I had spurious problems
    > with FC4 install, but the third try it finished and all was ok after that.

    The "linux text allowcddma ide=nodma mem=nopentium" options seem to be
    giving success at the moment. Then I increased swap space from 64 to 100MB
    and I got further down the actual package copying to hard drive. In a bit of
    insanity I told it to install GRUB and wiped out the MBR so I couldn't get
    Windows98 going again. Then I executed fdisk /mbr from a floppy and fixed
    that. If I ask for a Workstation install I get 2.5GB with 745 packages
    (which has not run to completion yet due to various things like having to
    eat supper and coming back to the machine to find it in a funny rebooting
    mode). If I ask for a Desktop install it's somewhat smaller: only 1.8GB with
    567 packages! My old RH7.0 was a small 900MB. I think today I'll try a
    custom installation to trim things down. This is a small machine that I use
    for C language programming under X-Window and running GIMP. With this
    upgrade to FC4 I hope to run qastrocam, the astronomer software to control
    my new ToUcam webcam.

    Tim O

+ Reply to Thread