Newbie 2B - Redhat

This is a discussion on Newbie 2B - Redhat ; I have an old Packard Bell PC with an AMD K6 333mH processor and an 8 Gb HDD running Windows ME which has deteriorated to near unusability (cannot view video clips at all, frequent blue screens, etc.). A new machine ...

  1. Newbie 2B

    I have an old Packard Bell PC with an AMD K6 333mH processor and an 8 Gb HDD
    running Windows ME which has deteriorated to near unusability (cannot view
    video clips at all, frequent blue screens, etc.). A new machine is a
    financial impossibility right now. I like the idea of Linux and am excited
    about giving it a go. My plan is to get a second HDD for the machine I have
    and loading the Linux on that, and keeping the WinME on the C: drive for at
    least the interim as the drive I have is over half full now.

    My Question: I have a new, never-used boxed set of Red Hat Linux 5.2 that I
    bought several years ago when I first thought of this (I don't like to rush
    into things). Would it make sense to load the 5.2 and upgrade it after, or
    would I be better off downloading a current version of Fedora? Or should I
    buy a new boxed set, since I am new at this. I am fairly computer savvy. I
    work as a Help Analyst for a bank supporting their PC products, but all my
    experience is in MS. I have researched Linux quite a bit on the web, and I
    think I can do this. Your advice is much appreciated.

  2. Re: Newbie 2B

    Robert Coates wrote:
    > I have an old Packard Bell PC with an AMD K6 333mH processor and an 8 Gb HDD
    > running Windows ME which has deteriorated to near unusability (cannot view
    > video clips at all, frequent blue screens, etc.). A new machine is a
    > financial impossibility right now. I like the idea of Linux and am excited
    > about giving it a go. My plan is to get a second HDD for the machine I have
    > and loading the Linux on that, and keeping the WinME on the C: drive for at
    > least the interim as the drive I have is over half full now.
    >
    > My Question: I have a new, never-used boxed set of Red Hat Linux 5.2 that I
    > bought several years ago when I first thought of this (I don't like to rush
    > into things). Would it make sense to load the 5.2 and upgrade it after, or
    > would I be better off downloading a current version of Fedora? Or should I
    > buy a new boxed set, since I am new at this. I am fairly computer savvy. I
    > work as a Help Analyst for a bank supporting their PC products, but all my
    > experience is in MS. I have researched Linux quite a bit on the web, and I
    > think I can do this. Your advice is much appreciated.

    Aloha,
    The big thing you need to be concerned with at this point is will it
    run on that hardware well enough for you to be happy. The Fedora 4
    Unleashed, the one I use, states minimums for it are: Pentium 200MHz,
    620MB HDD and 64MB of Ram. That is for a text install though and minimal
    install of components. I would recommend doing research on which Distros
    run well on your system. Distro Watchis o ne website that might help. I
    can't remember the URL though. Also, might I suggest checking out
    linuxforums.org. Post your question over there after you register. They
    seem knowledgable and may be able to help. Hope that helped.
    Mahalo.
    Edward

  3. Re: Newbie 2B

    > My Question: I have a new, never-used boxed set of Red Hat Linux 5.2 that I
    > bought several years ago when I first thought of this (I don't like to rush
    > into things). Would it make sense to load the 5.2 and upgrade it after, or
    > would I be better off downloading a current version of Fedora? Or should I
    > buy a new boxed set, since I am new at this. I am fairly computer savvy. I
    > work as a Help Analyst for a bank supporting their PC products, but all my
    > experience is in MS. I have researched Linux quite a bit on the web, and I
    > think I can do this. Your advice is much appreciated.

    Do not bother with RH5.2 it's terribly outdated.

    Although the current version, Fedora Core 4 is quite a good distro...
    it may be a bit too "heavy" for your older machine.

    Slackware would be a good choice...
    or possibly the closely related but more user friendly Vector Linux.

    I've been using Vector Linux on my old laptop
    and it works great...and installed in maybe 15 minutes or so!

  4. Re: Newbie 2B

    On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 18:29:59 GMT in alt.os.linux.redhat, Edward
    Haddock favored us with...
    > Distro Watchis o ne website that might help. I
    > can't remember the URL though.

    It's a toughie: http://distrowatch.com/ :-)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
    variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
    evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
    where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
    --Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

  5. Re: Newbie 2B

    "Edward Haddock" wrote in message
    > Robert Coates wrote:
    > > I have an old Packard Bell PC with an AMD K6 333mH processor and an 8 Gb

    HDD
    > > running Windows ME which has deteriorated to near unusability (cannot

    view
    > > video clips at all, frequent blue screens, etc.). A new machine is a
    > > financial impossibility right now. I like the idea of Linux and am

    excited
    > > about giving it a go. My plan is to get a second HDD for the machine I

    have
    > > and loading the Linux on that, and keeping the WinME on the C: drive for

    at
    > > least the interim as the drive I have is over half full now.
    > >
    > > My Question: I have a new, never-used boxed set of Red Hat Linux 5.2

    that I
    > > bought several years ago when I first thought of this (I don't like to

    rush
    > > into things). Would it make sense to load the 5.2 and upgrade it after,

    or
    > > would I be better off downloading a current version of Fedora? Or

    should I
    > > buy a new boxed set, since I am new at this. I am fairly computer

    savvy. I
    > > work as a Help Analyst for a bank supporting their PC products, but all

    my
    > > experience is in MS. I have researched Linux quite a bit on the web,

    and I
    > > think I can do this. Your advice is much appreciated.
    > >

    > Aloha,
    > The big thing you need to be concerned with at this point is will it
    > run on that hardware well enough for you to be happy. The Fedora 4
    > Unleashed, the one I use, states minimums for it are: Pentium 200MHz,
    > 620MB HDD and 64MB of Ram. That is for a text install though and minimal
    > install of components. I would recommend doing research on which Distros
    > run well on your system. Distro Watchis o ne website that might help. I
    > can't remember the URL though. Also, might I suggest checking out
    > linuxforums.org. Post your question over there after you register. They
    > seem knowledgable and may be able to help. Hope that helped.
    > Mahalo.
    > Edward

    Thanks for the advice. I've pretty much given up on the 5.2 idea. I have
    upgraded the PC to 128mb memory, and I was thinking of 40-80 gb on the new
    hard drive, so I think I'll be ok. I will check out those sites you
    recommended.
    I am also considering putting out for a new barebones PC with an up-to-date
    processor and motherboard, adding peripherals I like and getting a new Linux
    package on CD--something easy to install like Linspire.
    More research. This is an adventure.
    Peace.

  6. Re: Newbie 2B

    > Thanks for the advice. I've pretty much given up on the 5.2 idea. I have
    > upgraded the PC to 128mb memory, and I was thinking of 40-80 gb on the new
    > hard drive, so I think I'll be ok. I will check out those sites you
    > recommended.
    > I am also considering putting out for a new barebones PC with an up-to-date
    > processor and motherboard, adding peripherals I like and getting a new Linux
    > package on CD--something easy to install like Linspire.
    > More research. This is an adventure.
    > Peace.

    Aloha,
    It sure is. You might also want to looks into books that cover the
    OS. I got the Red Hat Fedora Unleashed book and it had the software on
    DVD and CD already so that saved me from having to locate it.
    Edward

  7. Re: Newbie 2B

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 09:10:59 -0500, Robert Coates wrote:

    > "Edward Haddock" wrote in message
    >> Robert Coates wrote:
    >> > I have an old Packard Bell PC with an AMD K6 333mH processor and an 8 Gb

    > HDD
    >> > running Windows ME which has deteriorated to near unusability (cannot

    > view
    >> > video clips at all, frequent blue screens, etc.). A new machine is a
    >> > financial impossibility right now. I like the idea of Linux and am

    > excited
    >> > about giving it a go. My plan is to get a second HDD for the machine I

    > have
    >> > and loading the Linux on that, and keeping the WinME on the C: drive for

    > at
    >> > least the interim as the drive I have is over half full now.
    >> >
    >> > My Question: I have a new, never-used boxed set of Red Hat Linux 5.2

    > that I
    >> > bought several years ago when I first thought of this (I don't like to

    > rush
    >> > into things). Would it make sense to load the 5.2 and upgrade it after,

    > or
    >> > would I be better off downloading a current version of Fedora? Or

    > should I
    >> > buy a new boxed set, since I am new at this. I am fairly computer

    > savvy. I
    >> > work as a Help Analyst for a bank supporting their PC products, but all

    > my
    >> > experience is in MS. I have researched Linux quite a bit on the web,

    > and I
    >> > think I can do this. Your advice is much appreciated.
    >> >

    >> Aloha,
    >> The big thing you need to be concerned with at this point is will it
    >> run on that hardware well enough for you to be happy. The Fedora 4
    >> Unleashed, the one I use, states minimums for it are: Pentium 200MHz,
    >> 620MB HDD and 64MB of Ram. That is for a text install though and minimal
    >> install of components. I would recommend doing research on which Distros
    >> run well on your system. Distro Watchis o ne website that might help. I
    >> can't remember the URL though. Also, might I suggest checking out
    >> linuxforums.org. Post your question over there after you register. They
    >> seem knowledgable and may be able to help. Hope that helped.
    >> Mahalo.
    >> Edward

    > Thanks for the advice. I've pretty much given up on the 5.2 idea. I have
    > upgraded the PC to 128mb memory, and I was thinking of 40-80 gb on the new
    > hard drive, so I think I'll be ok. I will check out those sites you
    > recommended.
    > I am also considering putting out for a new barebones PC with an up-to-date
    > processor and motherboard, adding peripherals I like and getting a new Linux
    > package on CD--something easy to install like Linspire.
    > More research. This is an adventure.
    > Peace.

    I would recommend against Linspire if you want to really learn what
    Gnu/Linux is all about.

  8. Re: Newbie 2B

    "Kenneth" wrote in message
    newsan.2005.09.18.19.13.37.280186@cox.net...
    > On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 09:10:59 -0500, Robert Coates wrote:
    >

    > > "Edward Haddock" wrote in message

    Gb
    > > HDD

    > > view

    > > excited

    > > have

    for
    > > at

    > > that I

    > > rush

    after,
    > > or

    > > should I

    > > savvy. I

    all
    > > my

    > > and I
    > >> >

    > >> Aloha,
    > >> The big thing you need to be concerned with at this point is will

    it
    > >> run on that hardware well enough for you to be happy. The Fedora 4
    > >> Unleashed, the one I use, states minimums for it are: Pentium 200MHz,
    > >> 620MB HDD and 64MB of Ram. That is for a text install though and

    minimal
    > >> install of components. I would recommend doing research on which

    Distros
    > >> run well on your system. Distro Watchis o ne website that might help. I
    > >> can't remember the URL though. Also, might I suggest checking out
    > >> linuxforums.org. Post your question over there after you register. They
    > >> seem knowledgable and may be able to help. Hope that helped.
    > >> Mahalo.
    > >> Edward

    > > Thanks for the advice. I've pretty much given up on the 5.2 idea. I

    have
    > > upgraded the PC to 128mb memory, and I was thinking of 40-80 gb on the

    new
    > > hard drive, so I think I'll be ok. I will check out those sites you
    > > recommended.
    > > I am also considering putting out for a new barebones PC with an

    up-to-date
    > > processor and motherboard, adding peripherals I like and getting a new

    Linux
    > > package on CD--something easy to install like Linspire.
    > > More research. This is an adventure.
    > > Peace.

    > I would recommend against Linspire if you want to really learn what
    > Gnu/Linux is all about.

    I realized that was dumb almost as soon as I posted it, certainly after I
    checked out distrowatch. My mind is still having a hard time wrapping
    itself around the idea of not having to pay big bucks for software in a
    glossy box full of cardboard and air. I've been poring through the
    reviews on Linux.org. Slackware or Ubuntu might be best for me and my funny
    old PC. I've also been looking at Live CD versions too, but I'm pretty
    committed to doing this; the "try-out" idea may be redundant.

    Thanks all for the good advice.

  9. Re: Newbie 2B

    > > Thanks for the advice. I've pretty much given up on the 5.2 idea. I

    have
    > > upgraded the PC to 128mb memory, and I was thinking of 40-80 gb on the

    new
    > > hard drive, so I think I'll be ok. I will check out those sites you
    > > recommended.
    > > I am also considering putting out for a new barebones PC with an

    up-to-date
    > > processor and motherboard, adding peripherals I like and getting a new

    Linux
    > > package on CD--something easy to install like Linspire.
    > > More research. This is an adventure.
    > > Peace.
    > >

    > Aloha,
    > It sure is. You might also want to looks into books that cover the
    > OS. I got the Red Hat Fedora Unleashed book and it had the software on
    > DVD and CD already so that saved me from having to locate it.
    > Edward

    That would be good. I did check out Distrowatch and Linux.org. The
    possibilities are absolutely amazing. There is gold in them hills. Of
    course, the flip side of lots of choices is making the right choice. I want
    something good for my old machine and my relatively humble needs. Then
    again, I would want to do more with a better system. I have so many
    conflicts in this Windows ME system right now, it's primary function is as a
    paperweight.

    Thanks for the good advice.

  10. Re: Newbie 2B

    > I realized that was dumb almost as soon as I posted it, certainly after I
    > checked out distrowatch. My mind is still having a hard time wrapping
    > itself around the idea of not having to pay big bucks for software in a
    > glossy box full of cardboard and air. I've been poring through the
    > reviews on Linux.org. Slackware or Ubuntu might be best for me and my funny
    > old PC. I've also been looking at Live CD versions too, but I'm pretty
    > committed to doing this; the "try-out" idea may be redundant.
    >
    > Thanks all for the good advice.

    Aloha,
    I did the Live version of Ubuntu 5.10 and it worked well. It
    impressed my wife and now I am talking her into using Linux. So
    maybe a live version might do the trick.
    Edward

+ Reply to Thread