Dear all,

I think my painful experience can be worth for reference. I install
Redhat Linux 9 on Asus P4PE-X box. The Linux OS did not recognize the
onboard Broadcom bcm4400 network device. I followed the instruction in
the readme.txt file to install the driver, however, both failed for the
RPM and TAR package.

Finally, from the newsgroup somebody point me to the manufactory's site
to download the latest package. In the zip file, I found a Additional
Installation Notes (Distrib.txt), which completely figured out what the
issues was. Hope this can help you, hopeless folk.

Don't forget to include the "properly compiled kernel source tree"...

...and the driver is available here:

http://www.broadcom.com/docs/driver_...nux-3.0.13.zip

Additional Installation Notes for Various Linux
Distributions
Broadcom BCM4400 Linux Driver
Version 3.0.13
8/04/2005

Broadcom Corporation
16215 Alton Parkway,
Irvine, CA 92619-7013

Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Broadcom Corporation
All rights reserved

Table of Contents
=================

Introduction
Limitations
Prerequisites
Prepare Kernel Source Tree (United Linux 1.0 Distributions)

Introduction
============

This file contains additional installation notes for the Broadcom
bcm4400
Linux driver that are specific to certain Linux distributions. General
installation notes are contained in README.TXT.

Limitations
===========

The current version of the driver has been tested on the following
Linux
distributions:

Distributions for i386:

Red Hat 8.0, 9.0, 2.1AS, and 4 and 4.1 AS
UnitedLinux 1.0 based distributions (UnitedLinux 1.0, SuSE SLES8,
8.1,
and SCO 4.0)
UnitedLinux 1.0 SP1
Mandrake 9.0

This driver will not work on x86_64 machines. Attempts to compile the
driver on this CPU architecture will intentionally fail.

Prerequisites
=============

In order to compile your Broadcom Linux driver, you must first
have a properly compiled kernel source tree which matches your running
kernel. You must also have a working C/C++ compiler and all the
associated
dependencies installed before attempting to compile the driver.

On Red Hat distributions, if you have opted for a custom installation,
you
need to select "Development Tools" and "Kernel Development" to install
the necessary tools and kernel source tree.

On United Linux based distributions, you must change the software
packages
installed by default when presented with the Installation Settings.
Under
software selelction, select "Detailed Selection". In this area ensure
that
"C/C++ Compiler and Tools" is selected. This should install the C/C++
compiler as well as the kernel-source files.

For further assistance, please review your Linux documentation.

Prepare Kernel Source Tree (United Linux 1.0 Distributions)

The following instructions pertain only to United Linux 1.0 based
distributions (SuSE SLES8, SuSE 8.x, SCO4.0, etc.) These steps are not
needed for Red Hat, Mandrake and other similar distributions.

1. Prepare the kernel source tree. These steps are necessary in order
compile a driver that will match your running kernel.

cd /usr/src/linux-.SuSE
cp /boot/vmlinuz.config .config
cp /boot/vmlinuz.version.h include/linux/version.h
cp /boot/vmlinuz.autoconf.h include/linux/autoconf.h
make oldconfig
make dep

2. Now build and install the Broadcom Linux driver using either the rpm
or
tar archive installation files. The procedures are found in
README.TXT.