Question on Redhat flavors - Redhat

This is a discussion on Question on Redhat flavors - Redhat ; Hello, can someone point me to a docment/FAQ detailing what are the differences between Enterprise Server (ES), EL, AS, etc. Something crystal clear, I am puzzled by the number of marketing flavors Regards a....

  1. Question on Redhat flavors

    Hello,

    can someone point me to a docment/FAQ detailing what are the differences
    between Enterprise Server (ES), EL, AS, etc. Something crystal clear, I am
    puzzled by the number of marketing flavors

    Regards
    a.

  2. Re: Question on Redhat flavors

    http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/details/

    --
    Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted

  3. Re: Question on Redhat flavors

    "Lenard" wrote in message
    news:BEiWe.1328$D42.18@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com. ..
    > A. Melinte wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > can someone point me to a docment/FAQ detailing what are the
    > > differences
    > > between Enterprise Server (ES), EL, AS, etc. Something crystal clear,
    > > I am puzzled by the number of marketing flavors

    > http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/details/

    Thanks I am still unclear - are there differences in the kernel between
    these different products? Differences in kernel optimizations/modules
    compiled in, etc. for the same kernel version, but shipped with different
    flavors? Are server versions optimized or patched differently when it comes
    to kernel?

    Regards
    a.

  4. Re: Question on Redhat flavors

    A. Melinte wrote:

    > "Lenard" wrote in message
    > news:BEiWe.1328$D42.18@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com. ..
    >> A. Melinte wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hello,
    >> >
    >> > can someone point me to a docment/FAQ detailing what are the
    >> > differences
    >> > between Enterprise Server (ES), EL, AS, etc. Something crystal
    >> > clear, I am puzzled by the number of marketing flavors

    >> http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/details/

    > Thanks I am still unclear - are there differences in the kernel
    > between
    > these different products? Differences in kernel optimizations/modules
    > compiled in, etc. for the same kernel version, but shipped with
    > different flavors? Are server versions optimized or patched
    > differently when it comes to kernel?

    All kernels are built from the same exact source, for example;

    kernel-2.6.9-5.EL.src.rpm 38032 KB 01/06/2005 12:00:00 AM

    And yes, the kernel versions (depending on the CPU type and system
    memory) are compiled differently. The actual number of CPU's supported
    for the AS version* is dependant on the purchased support subscription
    and limits of the kernel source code along with the patches RH adds;

    From; http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/server/

    * These are the limits that are supported by the subscription. Actual
    technical limits are provided on the system configuration page.

    --
    Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted
    from accident, abuse, misapplication, abnormal use or a virus.

+ Reply to Thread