Wireless networking cards that would work with Redhat 7.2?` - Redhat

This is a discussion on Wireless networking cards that would work with Redhat 7.2?` - Redhat ; Hello All: I am looking for a WLAN card that would work with Redhat 7.2. Any advice would be appreciated. Here is some background info: I have a Redhat 7.2 Linux computer that I would like to network with a ...

  1. Wireless networking cards that would work with Redhat 7.2?`

    Hello All:

    I am looking for a WLAN card that would work with Redhat 7.2. Any
    advice would be appreciated.

    Here is some background info:

    I have a Redhat 7.2 Linux computer that I would like to network with a
    wireless LAN card.

    I have been looking at the archives of usenet groups to get an idea as
    to which card would work, but most discussions are on newer releases of
    Linux.

    Upgrading to a new version of Unix is not quite an option for me at
    this point.

    I checked the Linksys site and they may still have 802.11b cards. They
    refer the user to ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng . I am not
    sure if the drivers there would work with RH 7.2.

    Deguza

  2. Re: Wireless networking cards that would work with Redhat 7.2?`

    > I am looking for a WLAN card that would work with Redhat 7.2. Any
    > advice would be appreciated.

    I had an Orinoco card (AT&T) that worked just fine. Perhaps you can
    find a used one somewhere. Caveats: This was with RH 7.3, and I had
    upgraded the kernel for other reasons.
    > Upgrading to a new version of Unix is not quite an option for me at
    > this point.

    At least consider upgrading to 7.3. You don't need a re-install for that.

  3. Re: Wireless networking cards that would work with Redhat 7.2?`

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:49:45 -0700, Kompu Kid wrote:

    > Hello All:
    >
    > I am looking for a WLAN card that would work with Redhat 7.2. Any
    > advice would be appreciated.
    >
    > Here is some background info:
    >
    > I have a Redhat 7.2 Linux computer that I would like to network with a
    > wireless LAN card.
    >
    > I have been looking at the archives of usenet groups to get an idea as
    > to which card would work, but most discussions are on newer releases of
    > Linux.
    >
    > Upgrading to a new version of Unix is not quite an option for me at
    > this point.
    >
    > I checked the Linksys site and they may still have 802.11b cards. They
    > refer the user to ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng . I am not
    > sure if the drivers there would work with RH 7.2.
    >
    > Deguza

    First off you need to upgrade to a modern distribution, no currently
    available card is going to be supported in RH7.2. Put Fedora Core 4 on
    your machine, don't do an upgrade do a clean install, RH7.2 is way to old
    for an upgrade to work. Then you can do a search for Linux compatible
    cards, if the card has support in the current kernel then it will work in
    FC4.

  4. Re: Wireless networking cards that would work with Redhat 7.2?`

    > Upgrading to a new version of Unix is not quite an option for me at
    > this point.

    How about upgrading the kernel to 2.6 (for a test case, as dual boot)
    and upgrade the associated dirvers?

    --
    Raqueeb Hassan
    Bangladesh

  5. Re: Wireless networking cards that would work with Redhat 7.2?`

    On 11 Sep 2005 21:49:45 -0700, "Kompu Kid" wrote:

    >Hello All:
    >
    >I am looking for a WLAN card that would work with Redhat 7.2. Any
    >advice would be appreciated.
    >
    >Here is some background info:
    >
    >I have a Redhat 7.2 Linux computer that I would like to network with a
    >wireless LAN card.
    >
    >I have been looking at the archives of usenet groups to get an idea as
    >to which card would work, but most discussions are on newer releases of
    >Linux.
    >
    >Upgrading to a new version of Unix is not quite an option for me at
    >this point.
    >
    >I checked the Linksys site and they may still have 802.11b cards. They
    >refer the user to ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng . I am not
    >sure if the drivers there would work with RH 7.2.
    >
    >Deguza

    The Orinoco Gold cards have always worked quite well for me. They
    used to be made by Lucent but are now sold as Proxim. A quick search
    on e-bay should produce some examples.

+ Reply to Thread