Fedora Core 4, several install problems - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fedora Core 4, several install problems - Redhat ; I encountered several surprising problems trying to install FC4, and I was sondering if anyone else had seen anything similar, or had a suggestion for me. I downloaded the 4 iso images, verified sha1sum, burned the first one to CD, ...

  1. Fedora Core 4, several install problems

    I encountered several surprising problems trying to install FC4, and I was
    sondering if anyone else had seen anything similar, or had a suggestion
    for me.

    I downloaded the 4 iso images, verified sha1sum, burned the first one to
    CD, verified sha1sum of CD (I even checked it on two different machines,
    to reduce the chance that marginal media was a problem)

    I booted with the "text" and "askmethod" options. Text because the
    default mode used was unreadable on my monitor, and askmethod because I
    wanted to install from the iso images on disk, rather than wasting 3 more
    CDs.

    On the first attempt at install, the process hung with the progress bar on
    14%, while installing one of the perl packages (I waited 2 hours to make
    sure it was really hung). The second install attempt completed. There
    was a message that could have been an error partway through, but most of
    the words were off the screen so I don't know what it said, and it didn't
    stop the process. When I tried to boot, it failed with a message that the
    kernel was unable to open an initial console. I found that was because
    there was no /dev/console present, or any other entries in /dev.

    If this was some random machine, I would suspect a hardware issue causing
    the first hang and the other install strangeness, but I have been using
    this machine with a couple of different distributions for all my computing
    needs, and it has been rock-solid. The only problems I have had were
    those cause by me mis-configuring something.

    The machine was given to me to do some contract work, so I don't know
    exactly what it is. Its from Dell, with a 2.4GHz P4, 512MB memory.
    Everything as it came from the factory, other than the 3c59x ethernet
    board I added.

    I hope I didn't lose anyone with the long post. I searched newsgroups and
    the Fedora site, and didn't find posts from anyone who seemed to have the
    same kind of problem.

  2. Re: Fedora Core 4, several install problems

    > On the first attempt at install, the process hung with the progress bar on
    > 14%, while installing one of the perl packages (I waited 2 hours to make
    > sure it was really hung). The second install attempt completed.

    A year ago I was installing RedHat 7.0 on an old 486 machine with a 2GB hard
    drive. I was having repetitive problems with the progress bar stopping at
    various random points during the 45 minute install of the packages. I was
    allocating a swap file of 325MB on a second hard drive that was in the
    machine. Finally, I decided to completely avoid the 325MB drive and allocate
    only a 64MB swap partition on the 2GB drive. This machine only has 20MB of
    RAM anyway. These random hangs then went away during several subsequent
    reinstalls. Don't make too big of a swap partition is all I can suggest.

    Tim

  3. Re: Fedora Core 4, several install problems

    I was getting the same thing until I finally installed a minimum install
    (I think it was workstation with no bells or whistles). Once the install
    completed I then installed additional packages as desired.
    Another thing that was causing hangs for me was my slave drive on my IDE
    bus. I disconnected it and installed, then added the drive back once the
    install was complete (that was fun too - df, fdisk, mntpt, fstab).

  4. Re: Fedora Core 4, several install problems

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 00:01:01 +0000, Tim Oltrogge wrote:

    >> On the first attempt at install, the process hung with the progress bar on
    >> 14%, while installing one of the perl packages (I waited 2 hours to make
    >> sure it was really hung). The second install attempt completed.

    > A year ago I was installing RedHat 7.0 on an old 486 machine with a 2GB hard
    > drive. I was having repetitive problems with the progress bar stopping at
    > various random points during the 45 minute install of the packages. I was
    > allocating a swap file of 325MB on a second hard drive that was in the
    > machine. Finally, I decided to completely avoid the 325MB drive and allocate
    > only a 64MB swap partition on the 2GB drive. This machine only has 20MB of
    > RAM anyway. These random hangs then went away during several subsequent
    > reinstalls. Don't make too big of a swap partition is all I can suggest.
    >
    > Tim

    Thanks for the suggestions. On the third time the install went through.
    I still got the one error, which I made note of this time. During the
    post-install, the error appeared and said "failed to send status request,
    permission denied." Again it didn't stop the install and may be nothing
    to worry about.

    I did find out the cause of the missing dev entries. I skipped the boot
    loader part and added the FC4 entry by hand to my existing list (This
    machine has a working Mandriva installation). I'm used to rolling my own
    kernel, and leaving out the initrd, I never saw it as necessary.
    Apparently the udev stuff was being set up in initrd, so that was a simple
    fix once I saw it.

    The FC4 is running fine now, so I probably won't look any more at the
    hangs during install. It just seemed strange to me.

+ Reply to Thread