Greetings / Newbie questions - Redhat

This is a discussion on Greetings / Newbie questions - Redhat ; Greetings linux community! Please welcome your newest member! (group hug) I have been running Fedora core 3 for about a week now, and I LOVE IT!!!! I am FINALLY FREE OF MICROSHAFT!!! I feel like Mel Gibson in 'Braveheart': "FREEEEEEEEEDOM!" ...

  1. Greetings / Newbie questions

    Greetings linux community! Please welcome your newest member! (group hug)
    I have been running Fedora core 3 for about a week now, and I LOVE IT!!!! I
    am FINALLY FREE OF MICROSHAFT!!! I feel like Mel Gibson in 'Braveheart':
    "FREEEEEEEEEDOM!"

    I have a bit of previous experience messing around with Red Hat 6 & 8, and
    FreeBSD 4.7, and I'm a winblows ace and a BASIC Programmer (C64 Basic,
    QBASIC, VB, Access, etc), but I'm still very green in terms of actually
    knowing how this great operating system works & being able to use it
    properly..

    I am having a couple of issues which I am hoping somebody will be able to
    help me out with...

    First, about my system:
    AMD Athlon 800
    I don't know what type of motherboard.
    512Mb RAM (2x256Mb PC-133)
    Promise Fasttrak ATA-100 IDE controller Winblows Ex-Pee calls this a SCSI
    Controller but it connects to IDE Drives. I think it's doing this through a
    SCSI Interface (It loads a BIOS when it detects drives during startup, just
    like a SCSI card).

    40 & 200GB Quantum HDD attached to the Promise Controller. (40Gb Hdd is
    /dev/hde, this is the boot drive. Ex-Pee is installed here, 200Gb HDD is
    /dev/hdf. Fedora is installed here. My partitions are:

    /dev/hde1/ - FAT32 - Winblows Ex-Pee. mounts to /media/dos (40Gb)
    /dev/hdf1/ - NTFS - Old, Dead Winblows Ex-Pee Installation. Not mounted yet
    as I have not installed the NTFS kernel driver yet. (20Gb). I have only kept
    this and /dev/hdf2 as I need to recover data.
    /dev/hdf2/ - NTFS - Data. Not mounted yet as I have not installed the NTFS
    kernel driver yet. (60Gb)
    /dev/hdf3/ - Ext3 - / (15Gb). I Forced LBA32 during setup as this partition
    starts way past the 1024th cylinder.
    /dev/hdf4/ - Ext3 - /home (20Gb)
    /dev/hdf5/ - Swap (500Mb)

    LG DVD+RW on /dev/hda
    LG DVD-Rom on /dev/hdc

    128Mb ATI Radeon 9250 AGP Video Card.

    Creative Sound Blaster Live OEM

    Ok, now the issues:

    0. I am having a bit of trouble deciding which to use: Gnome or KDE. KDE
    seems much prettier and more configurable (visually / behaviour wise), but
    it also seems slower and less stable. I have had a few lockups where the
    machine just hangs using KDE. Currently I've got my default session set to
    Gnome. Any comments comparing the two which might help me decide would be
    nice...

    What's the story with Gnome & KDE? Why don't the two join forces and build
    an uber, configurable, stable, pretty window manager? If this happened, I
    think M$ would have some SERIOUS competition!

    1. I've read that Fedora comes MP3 and DVD disabled out of the box. I have
    managed to get MP3 Playback with XMMS working by copying the appropriate .so
    file from an older version of XMMS I had lying about into the XMMS plugins
    directory, but what do I need to do to get totem playing Movies and DVDs? I
    have tried:
    - Running Totem as Root (I've found that lots of things need to be done
    as root. This is a seperate question)
    - ensuring Gstreamer is installed (it is, V0.8). It even seems to have
    heaps of plugins installed...
    - Fiddling with totem preferences. I can't see anything wrong in there.
    Does anyone have any Ideas as to what I need to do? I am using a work
    internet connection, so downloading is difficult. I have been thinking I
    should download MPlayer and Xine...

    2. I've read that it's not a good Idea to be logging in as root. My 'normal'
    username on my system is antisol, and this is what I log into gnome as, but
    I have found that alot of things need to be done as root. For example:
    - Burning with K3b. If I don't run this as root, it won't do anything,
    because it doesn't have sufficient permissions to /dev/hda (my CD Burner)
    - Running XMMS with 'Use Realtime Priority' option enabled (I have been
    getting the odd skip in XMMS when playing Mp3s)
    - Running the Audio Cd Player. same problem as K3b - insufficient
    permissions to the device.

    In KDE, There is an option with each launcher to 'run as a different user'.
    I have set this up to run as root for these applications, but there are a
    couple of issues with this: I have switched back to Gnome and cannot find
    any equivalent option so I have to run these programs from a terminal after
    typing 'su'. Also when I'm using KDE, it prompts me for a password every
    time I want to run these programs. Can this be turned off? I don't want to
    have to type in the root password everytime I want to run XMMS!

    What I'd like to be able to do is either give my 'antisol' user almost the
    same rights as root (i.e editing configs etc, but I think this might pose
    the same risks as logging in as root?), or to save the authentication or
    give antisol the permissions to run these programs as antisol. I have
    considered doing a recirsive chmod on /*.*, but decided that this might
    break things. Suggestions?

    3. I have noticed some sort-of random lockups. This usually occurs when
    running multimedia type stuff. For Example, Tux Racer will usually play
    music and display the main 'press any key' screen, but that's it. It freezes
    at that point with the music still playing. Pressing keys does nothing,
    pressing CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to exit X does nothing, CTRL-ALT-DEL does
    nothing. When this happens I have to hit the reset button... I have left it
    there for up to 10 minutes, and the music just keeps playing. If I press any
    key INSTANTLY as soon as Tux Racer starts up, it might let me play one game
    before freezing.

    Also, I have Installed Unreal Tournament 2004 for Linux. This works fine but
    will occasionally just lock up as well. When UT locks up, it just freezes.
    No sound, no mouse, no keys do anything. Reset button.

    I have also noticed some odd lockups when doing lots of things in X. these
    aren't really lockups, though, more like 'thinking sessions'. The mouse will
    still move, System monitor either freezes or says the CPu is at 100%, but I
    can't click on anything. If I just leave it there for a couple of minutes
    though it will start responding again. This usually happens when I have
    multiple nautilus windows open and am moving/resizing one of the windows.
    It's a strange one. It happens in both gnome and KDE, but more often in KDE.
    I'm thinking some kind of memory/hardware incompatibility thing?

    4. Can someone point me to a good link (or type an essay, if you're bored)
    explaining what a 'journaling' filesystem is, and why I don't need to defrag
    it? This is WAY COOL!!!

    I can't wait to get myself familiar and confortable with Linux. I have found
    these current versions to be excellent in terms of ease of installation and
    user-friendliness, and I think Linux is starting to approach a point where
    it should be useable for the masses. I'm very interested in starting to
    learn C so that I can maybe even contribute to it (I have become an
    open-source fanboy). Does anyone have any good general links / info /
    programs / whatever that they think I might find usefull / helpfull?

    Thanks for taking the time for reading all this, and thank you in advance to
    anyone who replies!

    Regards,
    -Dale Maggee

  2. Re: Greetings / Newbie questions

    Aloha Dale,
    I am just learning myself but you have gotten furhter than I have. I am
    still trying to figure out how to get Mplayer or Xmms installed and
    working. I did a full install so don't think I am missing nay packages.
    At this point it is a little frustrating.
    Edward
    Dale Maggee wrote:
> [...]
    > I'm thinking some kind of memory/hardware incompatibility thing?
    >
    > 4. Can someone point me to a good link (or type an essay, if you're bored)
    > explaining what a 'journaling' filesystem is, and why I don't need to defrag
    > it? This is WAY COOL!!!
    >
    > I can't wait to get myself familiar and confortable with Linux. I have found
    > these current versions to be excellent in terms of ease of installation and
    > user-friendliness, and I think Linux is starting to approach a point where
    > it should be useable for the masses. I'm very interested in starting to
    > learn C so that I can maybe even contribute to it (I have become an
    > open-source fanboy). Does anyone have any good general links / info /
    > programs / whatever that they think I might find usefull / helpfull?
    >
    > Thanks for taking the time for reading all this, and thank you in advance to

  3. Re: Greetings / Newbie questions

    Edward,

    Fedora has MP3 Playback disabled out of the box. If you run XMMS and try to
    open an MP3, it will show you a message explaining this. (this message is
    generated by the 'mp3 placeholder plugin' which is installed by default).
    You'll need to go and download the XMMS Mp3 plugin from http://www.xmms.org.
    I had an older, full version of XMMS in a zip file somewhere, so I was able
    to just extract and copy the .so file inth XMMS's plugins directory. Once
    this is done, you just need to restart XMMS and disable the placeholder
    plugin (you could delete it if you want).

    frustration is the first step on the path to enlightenment... stick with it,
    read alot and I'm sure you'll get there...

    HTH,
    -Dale

    "Edward Haddock" wrote in message

> [...]

    bored)
    > > explaining what a 'journaling' filesystem is, and why I don't need to

    defrag
    > > it? This is WAY COOL!!!
    > >
    > > I can't wait to get myself familiar and confortable with Linux. I have

    found
    > > these current versions to be excellent in terms of ease of installation

    and
    > > user-friendliness, and I think Linux is starting to approach a point

    where
    > > it should be useable for the masses. I'm very interested in starting to
    > > learn C so that I can maybe even contribute to it (I have become an
    > > open-source fanboy). Does anyone have any good general links / info /
    > > programs / whatever that they think I might find usefull / helpfull?
    > >
    > > Thanks for taking the time for reading all this, and thank you in

  4. Re: Greetings / Newbie questions

    Dale,

    I am pretty sure you will find the following website quite helpfull:

    http://fedoranews.org/contributors/s...nley/fc4_note/

    Have fun with Linux,

    Arie

    --
    Arie Spieker
    Bergen op Zoom

  5. Re: Greetings / Newbie questions

    >Greetings linux community! Please welcome your newest member! (group hug)
    >I have been running Fedora core 3 for about a week now, and I LOVE IT!!!! I
    >am FINALLY FREE OF MICROSHAFT!!! I feel like Mel Gibson in >'Braveheart':
    >"FREEEEEEEEEDOM!"

    Please, don't jump on the "Linux is the be-all, end-all OS and is
    superior in everything" bandwagon. Every OS has it's strengths and
    weaknesses and it's all about finding the right tool for the job.

    >0. I am having a bit of trouble deciding which to use: Gnome or KDE. KDE
    >seems much prettier and more configurable (visually / behaviour wise), but
    >it also seems slower and less stable. I have had a few lockups where the
    >machine just hangs using KDE. Currently I've got my default session set to
    >Gnome. Any comments comparing the two which might help me decide would be
    >nice...
    >
    >What's the story with Gnome & KDE? Why don't the two join forces and build
    >an uber, configurable, stable, pretty window manager? If this happened, I
    >think M$ would have some SERIOUS competition!

    No, if Gnome and KDE got together you would have a seriously sucky and
    buggy window manager. I guess the most fundamental difference is that
    KDE is written in C++ and is based on the commercial Qt library while
    Gnome is written in C and based on the GPL'd GTK+ library. Both hog
    resources and are slow as molasses especially in an older system like
    you have. I'd go with something more lightweight like XFCE.

    >1. I've read that Fedora comes MP3 and DVD disabled out of the box. I have
    >managed to get MP3 Playback with XMMS working by copying the appropriate .so
    >file from an older version of XMMS I had lying about into the XMMS plugins
    >directory, but what do I need to do to get totem playing Movies and DVDs? I
    >have tried:
    > - Running Totem as Root (I've found that lots of things need to be done
    >as root. This is a seperate question)
    > - ensuring Gstreamer is installed (it is, V0.8). It even seems to have
    >heaps of plugins installed...
    > - Fiddling with totem preferences. I can't see anything wrong in there.
    >Does anyone have any Ideas as to what I need to do? I am using a work
    >internet connection, so downloading is difficult. I have been thinking I
    >should download MPlayer and Xine...

    Sorry... can't help much here.. I don't use Linux for Multimedia.

    >2. I've read that it's not a good Idea to be logging in as root. My 'normal'
    >username on my system is antisol, and this is what I log into gnome as, but
    >I have found that alot of things need to be done as root. For example:
    > - Burning with K3b. If I don't run this as root, it won't do anything,
    >because it doesn't have sufficient permissions to /dev/hda (my CD Burner)
    > - Running XMMS with 'Use Realtime Priority' option enabled (I have been
    >getting the odd skip in XMMS when playing Mp3s)
    > - Running the Audio Cd Player. same problem as K3b - insufficient
    >permissions to the device.

    This is true. You should not log in as root. su to root or better
    yet use sudo when you need to run a command as root. You probably
    have a group in /etc/group called cdrom. Add your user account to
    this group and you should be able to access the cdrom.

    >In KDE, There is an option with each launcher to 'run as a different user'.
    >I have set this up to run as root for these applications, but there are a
    >couple of issues with this: I have switched back to Gnome and cannot find
    >any equivalent option so I have to run these programs from a terminal after
    >typing 'su'. Also when I'm using KDE, it prompts me for a password every
    >time I want to run these programs. Can this be turned off? I don't want to
    >have to type in the root password everytime I want to run XMMS!
    >
    >What I'd like to be able to do is either give my 'antisol' user almost the
    >same rights as root (i.e editing configs etc, but I think this might pose
    >the same risks as logging in as root?), or to save the authentication or
    >give antisol the permissions to run these programs as antisol. I have
    >considered doing a recirsive chmod on /*.*, but decided that this might
    >break things. Suggestions?

    Very bad idea. Also, remember you're not in the DOS world anymore and
    it's /*, not /*.* .

    >3. I have noticed some sort-of random lockups. This usually occurs when
    >running multimedia type stuff. For Example, Tux Racer will usually play
    >music and display the main 'press any key' screen, but that's it. It freezes
    >at that point with the music still playing. Pressing keys does nothing,
    >pressing CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to exit X does nothing, CTRL-ALT-DEL does
    >nothing. When this happens I have to hit the reset button... I have left it
    >there for up to 10 minutes, and the music just keeps playing. If I press any
    >key INSTANTLY as soon as Tux Racer starts up, it might let me play one game
    >before freezing.
    >
    >Also, I have Installed Unreal Tournament 2004 for Linux. This works fine but
    >will occasionally just lock up as well. When UT locks up, it just freezes.
    >No sound, no mouse, no keys do anything. Reset button.

    If you want to be playing 3-D games use Windows... Linux driver
    support blows in this area and you will be seriously dissapointed.

    >I have also noticed some odd lockups when doing lots of things in X. these
    >aren't really lockups, though, more like 'thinking sessions'. The mouse will
    >still move, System monitor either freezes or says the CPu is at 100%, but I
    >can't click on anything. If I just leave it there for a couple of minutes
    >though it will start responding again. This usually happens when I have
    >multiple nautilus windows open and am moving/resizing one of the windows.
    >It's a strange one. It happens in both gnome and KDE, but more often in KDE.
    >I'm thinking some kind of memory/hardware incompatibility thing?

    This is because your 800MHz CPU is having a hard time keeping up with
    multitasking on a heavyweight window manager like Gnome or KDE. Get a
    faster CPU/more RAM or get a lighter window manager.

    >4. Can someone point me to a good link (or type an essay, if you're bored)
    >explaining what a 'journaling' filesystem is, and why I don't need to defrag
    >it? This is WAY COOL!!!

    Journaling filesystems keep a log of all the most recent changes. You
    can probably find some info and links here...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems

    >I can't wait to get myself familiar and confortable with Linux. I have found
    >these current versions to be excellent in terms of ease of installation and
    >user-friendliness, and I think Linux is starting to approach a point where
    >it should be useable for the masses. I'm very interested in starting to
    >learn C so that I can maybe even contribute to it (I have become an
    >open-source fanboy). Does anyone have any good general links / info /
    >programs / whatever that they think I might find usefull / helpfull?

    Learning C and about all the Unix system calls is very helpful but may
    be a bit advanced for someone just starting out. I would get more
    comfortable with the environment and shell scripting or an
    interpreted language like Perl first.

    >Thanks for taking the time for reading all this, and thank you in advance to
    >anyone who replies!
    >
    >Regards,
    >-Dale Maggee

  6. Re: Greetings / Newbie questions

    Dale Maggee wrote:
    > Greetings linux community! Please welcome your newest member! (group hug)
    > I have been running Fedora core 3 for about a week now, and I LOVE IT!!!! I
    > am FINALLY FREE OF MICROSHAFT!!! I feel like Mel Gibson in 'Braveheart':
    > "FREEEEEEEEEDOM!"

    It looks like you are still using windows:

  7. Re: Greetings / Newbie questions

    Dale,
    I am doing a lot of reading and so far, I have learned a lot. A freind
    and I discussed
    it and he thought maybe I needed to try a different distro. Seems Fedora is
    more oriented towards
    server business model and plain desktops in an office. Urubuntu came up
    and I might try that. Fedora is
    doing better, although I am unable to do the mp3 thingy still. I will try
    your advice and see what happens. I am gonna
    remove Xmms with yum then reinstall. I am hoping that works. I also saw
    somewhere you can boot off of a USB drive.
    I am gonna investigate that as well. My systems are:
    A 1 Ghz AMD Athalon
    13 GB Drive
    512 Meg
    CD-R
    CD-RW
    Audio detected as ALSA...not sure what kind of card it is.
    3.5 Floppy.
    128 ATI Rage
    NIC card of some kind
    Fedora Core 4 and no other.
    B 3100+ AMD Sempron
    512 Meg
    80 Gig.....2, One with Win XP Home...one with Fedora 4. I shut down and
    physically swap them at this time.
    Fedora found all the hardware including a
    3.5 USB Floppy.
    USB Ports
    DRD-RW but it says CD
    CD-RW
    128 Nvidia G-Force
    Built in sound "works"
    Two books....."Red Hat Fedora 4 Unleashed" with DVD and Fedora Bible
    With DVD and CD
    This list is not as technical as some but hey....anyway.
    I too want to get away from windows. Wish I could get away from the oil
    companies but then, I
    don't have the power for that. An OS though, if done well, would sway me.
    Fedora Core 4 is close. But
    as always, I struggle on.
    Mahalo

    "Dale Maggee" wrote in
    message news:dfrcoi$dv5$1@mws-stat-syd.cdn.telstra.com.au...
> [...]

    > bored)
    >> > explaining what a 'journaling' filesystem is, and why I don't need to

    > defrag
    >> > it? This is WAY COOL!!!
    >> >
    >> > I can't wait to get myself familiar and confortable with Linux. I have

    >found
    >> > these current versions to be excellent in terms of ease of installation

    > and
    >> > user-friendliness, and I think Linux is starting to approach a point

    > where
    >> > it should be useable for the masses. I'm very interested in starting to
    >> > learn C so that I can maybe even contribute to it (I have become an
    >> > open-source fanboy). Does anyone have any good general links / info /
    >> > programs / whatever that they think I might find usefull / helpfull?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for taking the time for reading all this, and thank you in

  8. Re: Greetings / Newbie questions

> [...]

    > bored)
    >> > explaining what a 'journaling' filesystem is, and why I don't need to

    > defrag
    >> > it? This is WAY COOL!!!
    >> >
    >> > I can't wait to get myself familiar and confortable with Linux. I have

    >found
    >> > these current versions to be excellent in terms of ease of installation

    > and
    >> > user-friendliness, and I think Linux is starting to approach a point

    > where
    >> > it should be useable for the masses. I'm very interested in starting to
    >> > learn C so that I can maybe even contribute to it (I have become an
    >> > open-source fanboy). Does anyone have any good general links / info /
    >> > programs / whatever that they think I might find usefull / helpfull?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for taking the time for reading all this, and thank you in

  9. Re: Greetings / Newbie questions

    I am using a work internet connection... I haven't quite managed to convince
    the powers that be here at work that switching to linux is a good idea...

    "philo" wrote in message
    > Dale Maggee wrote:
    > > Greetings linux community! Please welcome your newest member! (group

    hug)
    > > I have been running Fedora core 3 for about a week now, and I LOVE

    IT!!!! I
    > > am FINALLY FREE OF MICROSHAFT!!! I feel like Mel Gibson in 'Braveheart':
    > > "FREEEEEEEEEDOM!"
    > >

    > It looks like you are still using windows:

  10. Re: Greetings / Newbie questions

    Dale Maggee wrote:
    > I am using a work internet connection... I haven't quite managed to convince
    > the powers that be here at work that switching to linux is a good idea...

    I suppose it will be a while before Linux is widely used in the work
    place...
    but glad you are now getting into it...
    I just loaded Vector Linux on my first laptop.
    Worked perfectly the first time!

  11. Re: Greetings / Newbie questions

    > Please, don't jump on the "Linux is the be-all, end-all OS and is
    > superior in everything" bandwagon. Every OS has it's strengths and
    > weaknesses and it's all about finding the right tool for the job.

    I didn't think that's what I was doing - I was merely expressing my
    enthusiasm for how far linux has come since the days of RedHat 5, and for my
    not running any more microsoft software.

    Linux is certainly not the be-all, end-all OS - there is no such thing (with
    the possible exception of CBM-OS 7)

    > No, if Gnome and KDE got together you would have a seriously sucky and
    > buggy window manager. I guess the most fundamental difference is that
    > KDE is written in C++ and is based on the commercial Qt library while
    > Gnome is written in C and based on the GPL'd GTK+ library. Both hog
    > resources and are slow as molasses especially in an older system like
    > you have. I'd go with something more lightweight like XFCE.

    800Mhz is 'older' and needs something 'lightweight'?!? What is the world
    coming to??? Thanks for the advice though...

    > This is true. You should not log in as root. su to root or better
    > yet use sudo when you need to run a command as root. You probably
    > have a group in /etc/group called cdrom. Add your user account to
    > this group and you should be able to access the cdrom.

    ah-ha! will check it out, Thanks!

    > If you want to be playing 3-D games use Windows... Linux driver
    > support blows in this area and you will be seriously dissapointed.

    1. I don't want to play 3D games enough to justify reinstalling windows.

    2. Linux seems to really like my ATI Radeon 9250 - All the OpenGL stuff
    (screensavers and XMMS plugins) work just fine, and the only things
    bothering me are that my PC isn't fast enough to run UT2004 at full detail,
    and the occasional lockups I mentioned. Apart from this and lack of
    software, I have not had any problems at all....

    > This is because your 800MHz CPU is having a hard time keeping up with
    > multitasking on a heavyweight window manager like Gnome or KDE. Get a
    > faster CPU/more RAM or get a lighter window manager.

    right... I have 512Mb of RAM in it, and linux is rarely using >80% of it...
    I think I feel a processor coming on... but I might check out XFCE first...

    > Journaling filesystems keep a log of all the most recent changes. You
    > can probably find some info and links here...
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems

    wow, Ext3 must be HOT - My work internet filter calls this site
    'pornography'!

    > Learning C and about all the Unix system calls is very helpful but may
    > be a bit advanced for someone just starting out. I would get more
    > comfortable with the environment and shell scripting or an
    > interpreted language like Perl first.

    Why not do all of the above synchronously?

    Thanks for yout time Ian!

+ Reply to Thread