Fedora 4 install woes - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fedora 4 install woes - Redhat ; I had Fedora 3 running nicely on my computer with almost no problems. When I bought a new, large hard disk and put it on my Raid controller, though without configuring it for RAID but just supporting normal IDE access, ...

  1. Fedora 4 install woes

    I had Fedora 3 running nicely on my computer with almost no problems. When I
    bought a new, large hard disk and put it on my Raid controller, though without
    configuring it for RAID but just supporting normal IDE access, I thought I would
    install Fedora 4 near the end of it.

    Here are some of my problems:

    1) Attempting to install in graphics mode, the screen went completely blank and
    nothing ever showed at a stage in the installation where Fedora 4 is trying, no
    doubt, to switch to graphics mode. In Fedora 3 I had no problems with my video
    card and monitor. So I installed again and switched to installing in line text mode.

    2) In line text mode everything went OK until in the post-installation step I
    received a message which said, in all its informative glory, "Post-installation
    has failed", and then the machine said, after a plethora of messages written all
    over the screen, "It is OK to reboot", and I hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, and after I
    rebooted and attempted to boot into Fedora 4 my Boot Manager, System Commander
    8.13, told me the boot record was corrupt and I could not boot the system.

    The Fedora 4 boot partition spans the 137 GB boundary ( I said I had a large
    hard drive ). I know my BIOS supports hard drives greater than 137 GB. Is it
    really possible that Linux, or Fedora Core 4 more precisely, or perhaps grub
    even more precisely, does not ? Could this be causing the problem and Fedora
    Core 4 could not set up the grub boot loader at the beginning of the partition
    to boot the OS ?

    The only other thing I can think of is lack of support for my Raid controller,
    but since the installation found my hard disks and partitions for hard drives
    off of it, that hardly seems possible. Most mysterious is that my video
    adapter/monitor ran flawlessly under Fedora 3, and fails miserably in the
    installation step in Fedora 4.

    This is disappointing and unexpected. It is as if Fedora 4 is a decidedly
    backward step in functionality from the relatively smooth running of Fedora 3.
    If anybody has any idea why this OS should have failed so miserably on my
    machine to install, I would love to hear about it, else it looks like I must
    choose some other Linux distribution.

  2. Re: Fedora 4 install woes

    Edward Diener No Spam wrote:

    > The Fedora 4 boot partition spans the 137 GB boundary ( I said I had a
    > large hard drive ). I know my BIOS supports hard drives greater than 137
    > GB. Is it really possible that Linux, or Fedora Core 4 more precisely,
    > or perhaps grub even more precisely, does not ? Could this be causing
    > the problem and Fedora Core 4 could not set up the grub boot loader at
    > the beginning of the partition to boot the OS ?

    Yep, I had the same problem with FC4 using a 200Gb Western Digital. I
    never nailed the problem in that box, but what really confused me is
    when I tried to install either FC4 or CentOS on an old Dell with a 40GB
    disk, it bombed right when it starts to format the partitions. It
    kicked out and said that it couldn't find the hard dive (After it
    identified it and allowed me to set my partitions.) I even went as far
    as to not use the LVOL setup, sticking with the standard mount points.

    The BIOS on the old Dell box was set to boot first from a bootable
    add-in card (anything other than the onboard IDE). My disk was attached
    to the onboard IDE, with no SCSI or other PCI card installed. (I used
    to have a SCSI card in it) I changed the BIOS to boot from the onboard
    IDE first, and all was well.

    I haven't had the time to get the 200GB disk working, but this may help.

+ Reply to Thread