Compelling reasons to upgrade from RH 6.0 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Compelling reasons to upgrade from RH 6.0 - Redhat ; I have to do a hardware upgrade and our current OS is RedHat 6.0. My boss is insistent on trying to get this OS image to run on a dual Xeon/7501 based platform. Aside from the obvious reasons that this ...

  1. Compelling reasons to upgrade from RH 6.0

    I have to do a hardware upgrade and our current OS is RedHat 6.0. My
    boss is insistent on trying to get this OS image to run on a dual
    Xeon/7501 based platform. Aside from the obvious reasons that this OS
    is no longer supported and I'm having major problems with driver
    support, what are other reasons it would be a good idea to upgrade to
    FC or Debian? I keep trying to talk sense into him but keep getting
    the runaround that it's too hard to upgrade, requires too much
    retooling, etc... Basically what I would love to find is somekind of
    major hardware incompatibility, exploit, or something that would be a
    definitive reason to use a newer OS so I won't have to waste any more
    time on trying to get this to work.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Compelling reasons to upgrade from RH 6.0

    Ian East wrote:

    > I have to do a hardware upgrade and our current OS is RedHat 6.0. My
    > boss is insistent on trying to get this OS image to run on a dual
    > Xeon/7501 based platform. Aside from the obvious reasons that this OS
    > is no longer supported and I'm having major problems with driver
    > support, what are other reasons it would be a good idea to upgrade to
    > FC or Debian? I keep trying to talk sense into him but keep getting
    > the runaround that it's too hard to upgrade, requires too much
    > retooling, etc... Basically what I would love to find is somekind of
    > major hardware incompatibility, exploit, or something that would be a
    > definitive reason to use a newer OS so I won't have to waste any more
    > time on trying to get this to work.
    >
    > Thanks

    Security has been improved considerably since then...
    Also...even if you could get RH6 installed on that machine...
    it would not be able to take advantage of the newer H/W...
    so there would be no sense in upgrading unless the OS was upgraded too

    Not only that...to try to use an *image* of the old installation
    on the newer machine would leave your success rate pretty close to zero I'd
    think

  3. Re: Compelling reasons to upgrade from RH 6.0

    Working for people who don't understand technology is the pits, isn't it?
    ;-) If your boss can't understand that an old OS on new hardware is
    difficult at best (and impossible at worst) to install, it's pretty
    hopeless. Try to get your boss to understand two things: (1) Drivers for
    the new hardware won't be available for the old OS, and (2) support and
    security updates will not be available either. If this isn't enough to
    convince your boss, your boss has no business being the boss. But that's
    how life goes, eh? ;-)

    Regards,

    Margaret

    "Ian East" wrote in message
    newsbf9h1hhvg0inassln3hkdvu8un599u0lt@4ax.com...

    > I have to do a hardware upgrade and our current OS is RedHat 6.0. My
    > boss is insistent on trying to get this OS image to run on a dual
    > Xeon/7501 based platform. Aside from the obvious reasons that this OS
    > is no longer supported and I'm having major problems with driver
    > support, what are other reasons it would be a good idea to upgrade to
    > FC or Debian? I keep trying to talk sense into him but keep getting
    > the runaround that it's too hard to upgrade, requires too much
    > retooling, etc... Basically what I would love to find is somekind of
    > major hardware incompatibility, exploit, or something that would be a
    > definitive reason to use a newer OS so I won't have to waste any more
    > time on trying to get this to work.
    >
    > Thanks

  4. Re: Compelling reasons to upgrade from RH 6.0

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 13:33:48 -0700, Ian East wrote:

    > I have to do a hardware upgrade and our current OS is RedHat 6.0. My
    > boss is insistent on trying to get this OS image to run on a dual
    > Xeon/7501 based platform. Aside from the obvious reasons that this OS
    > is no longer supported and I'm having major problems with driver
    > support, what are other reasons it would be a good idea to upgrade to
    > FC or Debian? I keep trying to talk sense into him but keep getting
    > the runaround that it's too hard to upgrade, requires too much
    > retooling, etc... Basically what I would love to find is somekind of
    > major hardware incompatibility, exploit, or something that would be a
    > definitive reason to use a newer OS so I won't have to waste any more
    > time on trying to get this to work.
    >
    > Thanks

    Just tell him that the new hardware isn't supported on RH6 and that you
    have no choice. Given that you seem to go forever between OS upgrades I'd
    suggest that you install CentOS 4.1 instead of Fedora Core 3 or 4. CentOS
    4.1 is Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 which will be supported for the next 5
    years. Fedora Core is great for people who do constant upgrades because it
    always has the latest stuff, but it's a bad choice for organizations like
    yours that want to run the same OS forever because it's only supported for
    a year.

    The whole install process for CentOS or Fedora will only take 20 minutes,
    my suggestion to you is to just do it and then present your boss with a
    fait accompli.

  5. Re: Compelling reasons to upgrade from RH 6.0

    .... after inserting a credit, Ian East leaned
    forward and saw...

    > I keep trying to talk sense into him but keep getting
    >the runaround that it's too hard to upgrade, requires too much
    >retooling, etc...

    ext3 and LVM have been enough reason for me to move to RH8. No downtime
    for filesystem and partition management.

    --
    "Sail on silver wings through this storm.
    What fortune love may bring back to my arms again,

+ Reply to Thread