problems with external dvd-r drive - Redhat

This is a discussion on problems with external dvd-r drive - Redhat ; hello everyone. i'm trying to figure out how to get my external dvd-r drive working with k3b. everything seemed to work just fine, plugged it in, automatically got assigned a /dev and a mountpoint. but k3b doesn't recognize it. even ...

  1. problems with external dvd-r drive

    hello everyone.

    i'm trying to figure out how to get my external dvd-r drive working with
    k3b. everything seemed to work just fine, plugged it in, automatically
    got assigned a /dev and a mountpoint.
    but k3b doesn't recognize it. even "add device" and giving the /dev
    manually doesn't work. also tested graveman, just the same there, just
    my internal /dev/hdc cdwriter shows up, but the external dvdwriter,
    /dev/scd0, is not available.
    any suggestions?

    thanks
    paul

  2. Re: problems with external dvd-r drive

    Paul Wardenga wrote:

    > hello everyone.
    >
    > i'm trying to figure out how to get my external dvd-r drive working
    > with k3b. everything seemed to work just fine, plugged it in,
    > automatically got assigned a /dev and a mountpoint.
    > but k3b doesn't recognize it. even "add device" and giving the /dev
    > manually doesn't work. also tested graveman, just the same there, just
    > my internal /dev/hdc cdwriter shows up, but the external dvdwriter,
    > /dev/scd0, is not available.
    > any suggestions?

    What versions of cdrecord, k3b and Fedora/Red Hat??

    What is the output with the external device attached of the command;
    cdrecord dev= -scanbus

    Example(external usb device);
    $ cdrecord dev=/dev/scd0 -scanbus
    Cdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
    Schilling
    Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
    Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
    Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
    http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
    Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
    this version.
    scsidev: '/dev/scd0'
    devname: '/dev/scd0'
    scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
    Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
    Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
    cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version
    (schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.83-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c
    1.83 04/05/20 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
    scsibus0:
    0,0,0 0) 'TOSHIBA ' 'DVD-ROM SD-R6112' 'X231' Removable
    CD-ROM

    --
    Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted

  3. Re: problems with external dvd-r drive

    Lenard schrieb:
    > Paul Wardenga wrote:

    > What versions of cdrecord, k3b and Fedora/Red Hat??

    cdrecord-clone 2.01-dvd, k3b 0.11.24, fedora core 3 with some 2.6.9 kernel

    > What is the output with the external device attached of the command;
    > cdrecord dev= -scanbus

    Cdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
    Schilling
    Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
    Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
    Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
    http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
    Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
    this version.
    scsidev: '/dev/scd0'
    devname: '/dev/scd0'
    scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
    Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
    Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
    cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version
    (schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.83-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c
    1.83 04/05/20 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
    scsibus0:
    0,0,0 0) 'RICOH ' 'DVD+RW MP5316DAG' '2.B9' Removable CD-ROM
    0,1,0 1) *
    0,2,0 2) *
    0,3,0 3) *
    0,4,0 4) *
    0,5,0 5) *
    0,6,0 6) *
    0,7,0 7) *

    seems like doing scanbus with cdrecord was the solution to the whole
    problem. as i started k3b afterwards to check the version number, it
    detected the drive, no probs. =)

    thanks for your help

    paul

  4. Re: problems with external dvd-r drive

    Paul Wardenga wrote:

    > Lenard schrieb:
    >> Paul Wardenga wrote:

    >> What versions of cdrecord, k3b and Fedora/Red Hat??
    >>

    > cdrecord-clone 2.01-dvd, k3b 0.11.24, fedora core 3 with some 2.6.9
    > kernel

    Suggest that you upgrade both k3b (latest is 0.12.3) and the kernel
    (latest is 2.6.12-1.1376). You can find the k3b-0.12.3 rpm for FC3 at;
    http://rpm.pbone.net/

    > seems like doing scanbus with cdrecord was the solution to the whole
    > problem. as i started k3b afterwards to check the version number, it
    > detected the drive, no probs. =)

    Maybe just a matter of timing, depending on the hardware, process and
    timing(you perhaps did not wait long enough). But I'm glad the device
    is now usable.

    --
    Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted
    from accident, abuse, misapplication, abnormal use or a virus.

+ Reply to Thread