FC 3 weird problem - Redhat

This is a discussion on FC 3 weird problem - Redhat ; Hello all, I have posted here in some time. I'm still using FC 3 for now, although I do have FC 4 downloaded and ready. Just not sure if I want to upgrade just yet. Anyway, my problem is this: ...

  1. FC 3 weird problem

    Hello all,

    I have posted here in some time. I'm still using FC 3 for now, although I
    do have FC 4 downloaded and ready. Just not sure if I want to upgrade just
    yet. Anyway, my problem is this: I can no longer get Administrator mode
    while inside the KDE control center. When I click the Admin Mode button
    and put in my password, it throws me back to the main screen. I'm unable
    to make any changes to the control center that require admin priviledges.
    Anyone else having this problem?

    Thanks!
    Allen

  2. Re: FC 3 weird problem

    So Sayeth Allen:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have posted here in some time. I'm still using FC 3 for now, although I
    > do have FC 4 downloaded and ready. Just not sure if I want to upgrade just
    > yet. Anyway, my problem is this: I can no longer get Administrator mode
    > while inside the KDE control center. When I click the Admin Mode button
    > and put in my password, it throws me back to the main screen. I'm unable
    > to make any changes to the control center that require admin priviledges.
    > Anyone else having this problem?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Allen

    By the way, I'm using KDE 3.4 with all upgrades via Yum. This only started
    happening since the upgrade to KDE 3.4. I was able to get into it with the
    previous version.

    Thanks again,
    Allen

  3. Re: FC 3 weird problem

    Allen wrote:
    > So Sayeth Allen:
    >

    >>Hello all,
    >>
    >>I have posted here in some time. I'm still using FC 3 for now, although I
    >>do have FC 4 downloaded and ready. Just not sure if I want to upgrade just
    >>yet. Anyway, my problem is this: I can no longer get Administrator mode
    >>while inside the KDE control center. When I click the Admin Mode button
    >>and put in my password, it throws me back to the main screen. I'm unable
    >>to make any changes to the control center that require admin priviledges.
    >>Anyone else having this problem?
    >>
    >>Thanks!
    >>Allen

    > By the way, I'm using KDE 3.4 with all upgrades via Yum. This only started
    > happening since the upgrade to KDE 3.4. I was able to get into it with the
    > previous version.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > Allen

    I am not sure what the Admin Mode button is. I don't have it in FC4
    anyway. However if you want to run the control center as root, proceed
    as follows:
    open a terminal and su to root. Next run # kcontrol, and there you are...
    Another option would be to run kcontrol from the Run Command, running it
    as a different user: root.
    --
    Arie Spieker
    Bergen op Zoom