Massive Memory Leak in Acrobat 7 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Massive Memory Leak in Acrobat 7 - Redhat ; Has anyone else noticed a massive memory leak in Acrobat 7, it chews up about a gigabyte a day on my systems? I'm running it on FC3/Gnome. Someone on a Acrobat forum (don't know if they were from Adobe) tried ...

  1. Massive Memory Leak in Acrobat 7

    Has anyone else noticed a massive memory leak in Acrobat 7, it chews up
    about a gigabyte a day on my systems? I'm running it on FC3/Gnome. Someone
    on a Acrobat forum (don't know if they were from Adobe) tried to blame it
    on the theme which seems ridiculous to me because Acrobat is the only
    program that exhibits this problem. Never the less I tried switching from
    Crux to Bluecurve, made no difference of course.

  2. Re: Massive Memory Leak in Acrobat 7

    http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...ate082005.html

    --
    Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted

  3. Re: Massive Memory Leak in Acrobat 7

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > Has anyone else noticed a massive memory leak in Acrobat 7, it chews up
    > about a gigabyte a day on my systems? I'm running it on FC3/Gnome. Someone
    > on a Acrobat forum (don't know if they were from Adobe) tried to blame it
    > on the theme which seems ridiculous to me because Acrobat is the only
    > program that exhibits this problem. Never the less I tried switching from
    > Crux to Bluecurve, made no difference of course.

    By memory leak, do you mean you leave it running and it takes more and more
    memory? Or do you mean that even when it exits, it does not return the
    memory it has allocated to the system? In either case, I have never noticed
    this, though I run Acrobat (reader) 7 a lot. I do not seem to be leaking
    memory even though my system has not been rebooted in a couple of months
    (when I took it down to run memtest86 to look for curious behavior that I
    forget; did not find the problem whatever it was).

    ^^-^^ 15:20:00 up 71 days, 9:15, 3 users, load average: 4.28, 4.24, 4.24

  4. Re: Massive Memory Leak in Acrobat 7

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:48:32 -0400, Jean-David Beyer wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >> Has anyone else noticed a massive memory leak in Acrobat 7, it chews up
    >> about a gigabyte a day on my systems? I'm running it on FC3/Gnome. Someone
    >> on a Acrobat forum (don't know if they were from Adobe) tried to blame it
    >> on the theme which seems ridiculous to me because Acrobat is the only
    >> program that exhibits this problem. Never the less I tried switching from
    >> Crux to Bluecurve, made no difference of course.
    >>

    > By memory leak, do you mean you leave it running and it takes more and more
    > memory? Or do you mean that even when it exits, it does not return the
    > memory it has allocated to the system? In either case, I have never noticed
    > this, though I run Acrobat (reader) 7 a lot. I do not seem to be leaking
    > memory even though my system has not been rebooted in a couple of months
    > (when I took it down to run memtest86 to look for curious behavior that I
    > forget; did not find the problem whatever it was).

    I mean it keeps taking on more and more memory the longer it's left open,
    when you close it the memory is released. The rate of memory consumption
    is large, at least a 100MB/hour.

    Are you using KDE or Gnome?

  5. Re: Massive Memory Leak in Acrobat 7

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:48:32 -0400, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    >

    >>General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >>
    >>>Has anyone else noticed a massive memory leak in Acrobat 7, it chews up
    >>>about a gigabyte a day on my systems? I'm running it on FC3/Gnome. Someone
    >>>on a Acrobat forum (don't know if they were from Adobe) tried to blame it
    >>>on the theme which seems ridiculous to me because Acrobat is the only
    >>>program that exhibits this problem. Never the less I tried switching from
    >>>Crux to Bluecurve, made no difference of course.
    >>>

    >>By memory leak, do you mean you leave it running and it takes more and more
    >>memory? Or do you mean that even when it exits, it does not return the
    >>memory it has allocated to the system? In either case, I have never noticed
    >>this, though I run Acrobat (reader) 7 a lot. I do not seem to be leaking
    >>memory even though my system has not been rebooted in a couple of months
    >>(when I took it down to run memtest86 to look for curious behavior that I
    >>forget; did not find the problem whatever it was).

    > I mean it keeps taking on more and more memory the longer it's left open,
    > when you close it the memory is released. The rate of memory consumption
    > is large, at least a 100MB/hour.
    >
    > Are you using KDE or Gnome?

    GNOME/metacity

    I have 4 GBytes RAM, but I do not see the amount used increasing, even with
    xosview that distinguishes between Used+Shar, Buff, Cache, Free.

    ^^-^^ 17:05:00 up 71 days, 11:00, 3 users, load average: 4.17, 4.13, 4.09

  6. Re: Massive Memory Leak in Acrobat 7

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 17:08:17 -0400, Jean-David Beyer wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >>>By memory leak, do you mean you leave it running and it takes more and more
    >>>memory? Or do you mean that even when it exits, it does not return the
    >>>memory it has allocated to the system? In either case, I have never noticed
    >>>this, though I run Acrobat (reader) 7 a lot. I do not seem to be leaking
    >>>memory even though my system has not been rebooted in a couple of months
    >>>(when I took it down to run memtest86 to look for curious behavior that I
    >>>forget; did not find the problem whatever it was).

    >> I mean it keeps taking on more and more memory the longer it's left open,
    >> when you close it the memory is released. The rate of memory consumption
    >> is large, at least a 100MB/hour.
    >>
    >> Are you using KDE or Gnome?

    > GNOME/metacity
    >
    > I have 4 GBytes RAM, but I do not see the amount used increasing, even with
    > xosview that distinguishes between Used+Shar, Buff, Cache, Free.

    I see the memory size increasing by 20M every time I drop down a menu, any
    menu. I don't have to select an item the very act of dropping down the
    menu causes it to grab another 20M.

  7. Re: Massive Memory Leak in Acrobat 7

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 17:08:17 -0400, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    >

    >>General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >>>I mean it keeps taking on more and more memory the longer it's left open,
    >>>when you close it the memory is released. The rate of memory consumption
    >>>is large, at least a 100MB/hour.
    >>>
    >>>Are you using KDE or Gnome?

    >>GNOME/metacity
    >>
    >>I have 4 GBytes RAM, but I do not see the amount used increasing, even with
    >>xosview that distinguishes between Used+Shar, Buff, Cache, Free.

    > I see the memory size increasing by 20M every time I drop down a menu, any
    > menu. I don't have to select an item the very act of dropping down the
    > menu causes it to grab another 20M.

    I just tried that and it grows way less than 20M, and drops most of the way
    back when I let go of the dropdown. Since other processes are running that
    allocate and free memory, I guess this is inconclusive, but if it is
    happening to me, the effects are small.

    ^^-^^ 18:45:00 up 71 days, 12:40, 4 users, load average: 4.43, 4.39, 4.32

  8. Re: Massive Memory Leak in Acrobat 7

    > I just tried that and it grows way less than 20M, and drops most of the way
    > back when I let go of the dropdown. Since other processes are running that
    > allocate and free memory, I guess this is inconclusive, but if it is
    > happening to me, the effects are small.

    I've tried it on three different systems and it's behavior is
    consistent, every time you open a menu it grabs additional
    memory. The amount varies slightly between systems, on my desktop
    system, A64 3800+, GeForce 5700FX, it grabs 13M. On my laptop, A64
    3400+, GeForce 440Go, it grabs 11MB. It also grabs 11M on my A64 X2 4400+
    server, which has a GeForce 6200 although I'm not running an X-Server
    on that system I just ssh in from the desktop box. The memory it grabs is
    X Server memory. I'm using the Nvidia binary drivers with a 2.6.11.5
    kernel on all of the systems, the X2 box has a 64 bit SMP kernel, the
    other two are running 32 bit kernels.

  9. Re: Massive Memory Leak in Acrobat 7

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:33:38 -0400, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >> I just tried that and it grows way less than 20M, and drops most of the way
    >> back when I let go of the dropdown. Since other processes are running that
    >> allocate and free memory, I guess this is inconclusive, but if it is
    >> happening to me, the effects are small.

    > I've tried it on three different systems and it's behavior is
    > consistent, every time you open a menu it grabs additional
    > memory. The amount varies slightly between systems, on my desktop
    > system, A64 3800+, GeForce 5700FX, it grabs 13M. On my laptop, A64
    > 3400+, GeForce 440Go, it grabs 11MB. It also grabs 11M on my A64 X2 4400+
    > server, which has a GeForce 6200 although I'm not running an X-Server
    > on that system I just ssh in from the desktop box. The memory it grabs is
    > X Server memory. I'm using the Nvidia binary drivers with a 2.6.11.5
    > kernel on all of the systems, the X2 box has a 64 bit SMP kernel, the
    > other two are running 32 bit kernels.

    I just tried it on a forth system, a dual Xeon with ATI graphics running a
    2.6.12 SMP kernel. Same story, opening a menu causes it to grab an
    additional 11M every time you open the menu bar. All systems are running
    FC3 and Acroread 7.0.1.

  10. Re: Massive Memory Leak in Acrobat 7

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:33:38 -0400, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >

    >>>I just tried that and it grows way less than 20M, and drops most of the way
    >>>back when I let go of the dropdown. Since other processes are running that
    >>>allocate and free memory, I guess this is inconclusive, but if it is
    >>>happening to me, the effects are small.

    >>I've tried it on three different systems and it's behavior is
    >>consistent, every time you open a menu it grabs additional
    >>memory. The amount varies slightly between systems, on my desktop
    >>system, A64 3800+, GeForce 5700FX, it grabs 13M. On my laptop, A64
    >>3400+, GeForce 440Go, it grabs 11MB. It also grabs 11M on my A64 X2 4400+
    >>server, which has a GeForce 6200 although I'm not running an X-Server
    >>on that system I just ssh in from the desktop box. The memory it grabs is
    >>X Server memory. I'm using the Nvidia binary drivers with a 2.6.11.5
    >>kernel on all of the systems, the X2 box has a 64 bit SMP kernel, the
    >>other two are running 32 bit kernels.

    > I just tried it on a forth system, a dual Xeon with ATI graphics running a
    > 2.6.12 SMP kernel. Same story, opening a menu causes it to grab an
    > additional 11M every time you open the menu bar. All systems are running
    > FC3 and Acroread 7.0.1.

    Funny, my machine is dual Xeon with ATI graphics (SuperMicro X5DP8-G2 m.b.)
    running on

    kernel-smp-2.4.21-32.0.1.EL

    I am running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 ES. and Acroread 7.0.0 from 03/11/2005

    ^^-^^ 09:00:00 up 72 days, 2:55, 3 users, load average: 6.22, 6.07, 6.07

  11. Re: Massive Memory Leak in Acrobat 7

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:33:38 -0400, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >> I just tried that and it grows way less than 20M, and drops most of the way
    >> back when I let go of the dropdown. Since other processes are running that
    >> allocate and free memory, I guess this is inconclusive, but if it is
    >> happening to me, the effects are small.

    > I've tried it on three different systems and it's behavior is
    > consistent, every time you open a menu it grabs additional
    > memory. The amount varies slightly between systems, on my desktop
    > system, A64 3800+, GeForce 5700FX, it grabs 13M. On my laptop, A64
    > 3400+, GeForce 440Go, it grabs 11MB. It also grabs 11M on my A64 X2 4400+
    > server, which has a GeForce 6200 although I'm not running an X-Server
    > on that system I just ssh in from the desktop box. The memory it grabs is
    > X Server memory. I'm using the Nvidia binary drivers with a 2.6.11.5
    > kernel on all of the systems, the X2 box has a 64 bit SMP kernel, the
    > other two are running 32 bit kernels.

    Wow! I've just tried it too and found 20MB per menu open. Eventually
    it crashes or something kills it - try opening a menu item and then
    moving the mouse left and right to open a whole bunch of menus in
    quick succession - it'll soon die sometime after RAM is apparently all used.
    I used the Fedora system monitor to monitor usage, and it showed "X"
    memory increasing by the 20MB.

    --
    Nobby

  12. Re: Massive Memory Leak in Acrobat 7

    On 26 Aug 2005 14:28:53 GMT, Nobody Here wrote:
    > On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:33:38 -0400, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just tried that and it grows way less than 20M, and drops most of the way
    >>> back when I let go of the dropdown. Since other processes are running that
    >>> allocate and free memory, I guess this is inconclusive, but if it is
    >>> happening to me, the effects are small.

    >> I've tried it on three different systems and it's behavior is
    >> consistent, every time you open a menu it grabs additional
    >> memory. The amount varies slightly between systems, on my desktop
    >> system, A64 3800+, GeForce 5700FX, it grabs 13M. On my laptop, A64
    >> 3400+, GeForce 440Go, it grabs 11MB. It also grabs 11M on my A64 X2 4400+
    >> server, which has a GeForce 6200 although I'm not running an X-Server
    >> on that system I just ssh in from the desktop box. The memory it grabs is
    >> X Server memory. I'm using the Nvidia binary drivers with a 2.6.11.5
    >> kernel on all of the systems, the X2 box has a 64 bit SMP kernel, the
    >> other two are running 32 bit kernels.

    > Wow! I've just tried it too and found 20MB per menu open. Eventually
    > it crashes or something kills it - try opening a menu item and then
    > moving the mouse left and right to open a whole bunch of menus in
    > quick succession - it'll soon die sometime after RAM is apparently all used.
    > I used the Fedora system monitor to monitor usage, and it showed "X"
    > memory increasing by the 20MB.

    Hah, just tried it again and it took out my entire X session!

    --
    Nobby

  13. Re: Massive Memory Leak in Acrobat 7

    Nobody Here wrote:
    > On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:33:38 -0400, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >
    >>>I just tried that and it grows way less than 20M, and drops most of the way
    >>>back when I let go of the dropdown. Since other processes are running that
    >>>allocate and free memory, I guess this is inconclusive, but if it is
    >>>happening to me, the effects are small.

    >>I've tried it on three different systems and it's behavior is
    >>consistent, every time you open a menu it grabs additional
    >>memory. The amount varies slightly between systems, on my desktop
    >>system, A64 3800+, GeForce 5700FX, it grabs 13M. On my laptop, A64
    >>3400+, GeForce 440Go, it grabs 11MB. It also grabs 11M on my A64 X2 4400+
    >>server, which has a GeForce 6200 although I'm not running an X-Server
    >>on that system I just ssh in from the desktop box. The memory it grabs is
    >>X Server memory. I'm using the Nvidia binary drivers with a 2.6.11.5
    >>kernel on all of the systems, the X2 box has a 64 bit SMP kernel, the
    >>other two are running 32 bit kernels.

    > Wow! I've just tried it too and found 20MB per menu open. Eventually
    > it crashes or something kills it - try opening a menu item and then
    > moving the mouse left and right to open a whole bunch of menus in
    > quick succession - it'll soon die sometime after RAM is apparently all used.
    > I used the Fedora system monitor to monitor usage, and it showed "X"
    > memory increasing by the 20MB.

    Not me. I tried rummaging around, opening menus, different documents, etc.
    and got X to increase from the original 36MB up to 40MB while rotating a
    document clockwise and then counterclockwise. So the most I could get with
    all my fiddling around was a total of 4 Megabytes increase, not 20 Megabytes
    per menu.

    ^^-^^ 10:55:00 up 72 days, 4:50, 3 users, load average: 4.18, 4.14, 4.10

  14. Re: Massive Memory Leak in Acrobat 7

    Nobody Here wrote:

    >>>I've tried it on three different systems and it's behavior is
    >>>consistent, every time you open a menu it grabs additional
    >>>memory. The amount varies slightly between systems, on my desktop
    >>>system, A64 3800+, GeForce 5700FX, it grabs 13M. On my laptop, A64
    >>>3400+, GeForce 440Go, it grabs 11MB. It also grabs 11M on my A64 X2 4400+
    >>>server, which has a GeForce 6200 although I'm not running an X-Server
    >>>on that system I just ssh in from the desktop box. The memory it grabs is
    >>>X Server memory. I'm using the Nvidia binary drivers with a 2.6.11.5
    >>>kernel on all of the systems, the X2 box has a 64 bit SMP kernel, the
    >>>other two are running 32 bit kernels.

    >>Wow! I've just tried it too and found 20MB per menu open. Eventually
    >>it crashes or something kills it - try opening a menu item and then
    >>moving the mouse left and right to open a whole bunch of menus in
    >>quick succession - it'll soon die sometime after RAM is apparently all used.
    >>I used the Fedora system monitor to monitor usage, and it showed "X"
    >>memory increasing by the 20MB.

    > Hah, just tried it again and it took out my entire X session!

    I wonder what I am doing that I do not see this.

    ^^-^^ 10:55:00 up 72 days, 4:50, 3 users, load average: 4.18, 4.14, 4.10

  15. Re: Massive Memory Leak in Acrobat 7

    It may be that the affected machines are running some other software or
    driver that in combination with Acrobat Reader, results in a memory leak.
    I've had this happen with other software. And although I'm running the
    latest version, my two machines are experiencing Acro Reader memory leaks in
    Windows XP. Haven't tried it on my Linux box ... yet.

    Regards,

    Margaret

    "Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message
    > Nobody Here wrote:

    >>>I've tried it on three different systems and it's behavior is
    >>>consistent, every time you open a menu it grabs additional
    >>>memory. The amount varies slightly between systems, on my desktop
    >>>system, A64 3800+, GeForce 5700FX, it grabs 13M. On my laptop, A64
    >>>3400+, GeForce 440Go, it grabs 11MB. It also grabs 11M on my A64 X2 4400+
    >>>server, which has a GeForce 6200 although I'm not running an X-Server
    >>>on that system I just ssh in from the desktop box. The memory it grabs is
    >>>X Server memory. I'm using the Nvidia binary drivers with a 2.6.11.5
    >>>kernel on all of the systems, the X2 box has a 64 bit SMP kernel, the
    >>>other two are running 32 bit kernels.

    >> Wow! I've just tried it too and found 20MB per menu open. Eventually
    >> it crashes or something kills it - try opening a menu item and then
    >> moving the mouse left and right to open a whole bunch of menus in
    >> quick succession - it'll soon die sometime after RAM is apparently all
    >> used.
    >> I used the Fedora system monitor to monitor usage, and it showed "X"
    >> memory increasing by the 20MB.
    >>

    > Not me. I tried rummaging around, opening menus, different documents, etc.
    > and got X to increase from the original 36MB up to 40MB while rotating a
    > document clockwise and then counterclockwise. So the most I could get with
    > all my fiddling around was a total of 4 Megabytes increase, not 20
    > Megabytes
    > per menu.
    >
    > --
    > .~. Jean-David Beyer Registered Linux User 85642.
    > /V\ PGP-Key: 9A2FC99A Registered Machine 241939.
    > /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey http://counter.li.org
    > ^^-^^ 10:55:00 up 72 days, 4:50, 3 users, load average: 4.18, 4.14, 4.10

  16. Re: Massive Memory Leak in Acrobat 7

    > Hah, just tried it again and it took out my entire X session!

    Yes I've had it bring down X also. Happened last night, the mouse was
    working but I couldn't do anything. I sshed in from another machine and
    killed all of the open applications. None of the windows associated with
    the apps disappeared until I killed and restarted X.

  17. Re: Massive Memory Leak in Acrobat 7

    > Funny, my machine is dual Xeon with ATI graphics (SuperMicro X5DP8-G2 m.b.)
    > running on
    >
    > kernel-smp-2.4.21-32.0.1.EL
    >
    > I am running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 ES. and Acroread 7.0.0 from 03/11/2005

    My Xeon is also a SuperMicro motherboard. However I'm running FC3 which is
    uses a 2.6 kernel and Xorg. RHEL 3 is a 2.4 kernel using Xfree86. I
    suspect that it's not playing properly with Xorg. Chances are that they
    developed Reader 7 on a RHEL 3 system and didn't bother to test it with a
    modern version of Linux. Adobe is only providing grudging support for
    Linux, they never released an Acrobat 6 Reader and they clearly didn't
    spend any time testing Acrobat 7 they just threw it over the wall and
    forgot about it. They also don't have any mechanism for reporting bugs,
    the best that I've found is to post on their forums and to submit a
    feature request (I asked for a bug reporting mechanism and gave the memory
    leak as an example of what needs to be reported).

  18. Re: Massive Memory Leak in Acrobat 7

    Jean-David Beyer wrote:

    >> I just tried it on a forth system, a dual Xeon with ATI graphics
    >> running a 2.6.12 SMP kernel. Same story, opening a menu causes it to
    >> grab an additional 11M every time you open the menu bar. All systems
    >> are running FC3 and Acroread 7.0.1.
    >>

    > Funny, my machine is dual Xeon with ATI graphics (SuperMicro X5DP8-G2
    > m.b.) running on
    >
    > kernel-smp-2.4.21-32.0.1.EL
    >
    > I am running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 ES. and Acroread 7.0.0 from
    > 03/11/2005

    Been following this a bit, I'm not seeing a memory leak on either;

    Laptop (Acer 280 with a vanilla 2.6.12.5 kernel Intel graphics)
    Fedora Core 4 based

    Desktop (AMD 2800 with a vanilla 2.6.12.4 kernel MGA G450 graphics)
    CentOS 4.1 based

    both have are KDE 3.4.2 desktops (from the development site) with xorg
    6.8.2-37 rpms installed (no 3rd party video drivers on either system).

    AdobeReader_enu-7.0.1-1.i386.rpm
    Build Date: Thu 28 Jul 2005 02:03:20 PM EST

    --
    Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted
    from accident, abuse, misapplication, abnormal use or a virus.

+ Reply to Thread