RedHat 6.0 upgrade to RedHat 9 - Redhat

This is a discussion on RedHat 6.0 upgrade to RedHat 9 - Redhat ; Is it possible to perform this upgrade directly?...

  1. RedHat 6.0 upgrade to RedHat 9

    Is it possible to perform this upgrade directly?

  2. Re: RedHat 6.0 upgrade to RedHat 9

    Ian East wrote:

    > Is it possible to perform this upgrade directly?

    Why would you want to replace a obsolete version with another that is
    also obsolete???

    But to answer your question, it is not a good idea to perform this
    upgrade directly. Please review the RELEASE-NOTES and backup everything
    that is important to the users (yourself included) and make sure you
    also backup system configuration settings. Remove any third party or
    other customizations before starting.

    ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linu...ASE-NOTES.html

    --
    Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted

  3. Re: RedHat 6.0 upgrade to RedHat 9

    In the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.redhat, in article
    , Ian East wrote:

    >Is it possible to perform this upgrade directly?

    I suppose, but why would you be doing this?

    redhat-6.0 27 Apr 99 hedwig (glibc-2.1.1-6 - 2.2.5-15 - XFree86-3.3.3.1)
    redhat-9 07 Apr 03 shrike (glibc-2.3.2-11 - 2.4.20-8 - XFree86-4.3.0-2)

    When 6.0 went unsupported (March 2001), glibc had been updated to 2.1.3-22,
    the kernel to 2.2.17-14, and X to 3.3.5-1. You've got _major_ compatibility
    problems with any non-RedHat applications you may have installed. Also, in
    the four years between those two releases, the configuration files on a
    number of applications had changed, so even that is going to be a huge
    problem. Were you able to read the RELEASE-NOTES files for the intermediate
    releases, you would find a large number of old applications gone, as well as
    new ones added. Bottom line - I don't think anything is going to be useful
    from that ancient 6.0 install. Then too, RH9 has officially been unsupported
    for well over a year, although some limited errata is available from
    download.fedoralegacy.org.

    Since 1996 or so, the way we did version updates was to see that the user
    files were backed up, and then to a wipe of the old install, pouring the
    new install into the space formerly used. The rational was that the old
    applications were not compatible enough with the new stuff. Our server
    setups had been mirrored earlier, and data that the servers needed would
    be transferred from backups, but that's about it. (Background: our
    update procedure started with a couple of admins taking the CDs into
    the test lab, making trial installs on typical hardware until we agreed
    on something we'd accept. We then put this install on additional hardware
    that mirrored our servers, and run the old [in production] and new [in test,
    but running with "real" current data] along side each other for an eight
    week backup cycle. If no show-stoppers appeared, we'd wipe and install
    facility wide over a weekend. The following Monday could be "exciting" but
    only once did we have to do a rollback, and that was only on our print
    servers.)

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread