How do I get FC4 to see other partitions? - Redhat

This is a discussion on How do I get FC4 to see other partitions? - Redhat ; I have 4 distros on this machine, FC4 being the newest. My debian distros automagically pop a 'hard disk' icon on the KDE desktop at boot for each partition. Thus I can click it and Konqueror mounts it and I ...

  1. How do I get FC4 to see other partitions?

    I have 4 distros on this machine, FC4 being the newest. My debian distros
    automagically pop a 'hard disk' icon on the KDE desktop at boot for each
    partition. Thus I can click it and Konqueror mounts it and I can look at
    files, etc. Very handy.

    What is the trick they use? Any way I can get FC4 to do this for me? Or do I
    have to mess with fstab? If so, anyone have the line of code to use? There
    is nothing more arcane in all of Linux than fstab (unless it is crontab!)
    Must I mess with /mnt as well? Seems that I remember having to do this from
    my days with Slackware (which is the best distro 1995 has to offer!!! :-))

    Thanks guys. Been with FC4 for one day and really like it so far. Much
    faster than I thought it would be.

    Al

  2. Re: How do I get FC4 to see other partitions?

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:49:12 GMT, ANC wrote:

    > Any way I can get FC4 to do this for me? Or do I
    > have to mess with fstab? If so, anyone have the line of code to use?

    click up a terminal
    su -l root
    mkdir /debian
    mount -t auto /dev/hdXY /debian
    cat /debian/etc/fstab

    cut the / line from the cat results
    paste line into /etc/fstab
    change / to /debian and the 1 1 to 1 2 on end of line.
    save/exit

    umount /debian # release old mount
    mount /debian # to test new fstab entry.

  3. Re: How do I get FC4 to see other partitions?

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:49:12 GMT, ANC wrote:
    >
    >> Any way I can get FC4 to do this for me? Or do I
    >> have to mess with fstab? If so, anyone have the line of code to use?

    > click up a terminal
    > su -l root
    > mkdir /debian
    > mount -t auto /dev/hdXY /debian
    > cat /debian/etc/fstab
    >
    > cut the / line from the cat results
    > paste line into /etc/fstab
    > change / to /debian and the 1 1 to 1 2 on end of line.
    > save/exit
    >
    > umount /debian # release old mount
    > mount /debian # to test new fstab entry.

    This looks good. I looked into what debian's fstab uses to find other
    partitions:

    /dev/sdb3 /mnt/sdb3 reiserfs noauto,users,exec 00

    Seems to me I could make a sdb3 dir in /mnt and pop the above line in
    fstab???

    How does debian put up a KDE icon? Is that a function of KDE to put icons on
    all 'found' partition (ie. in fstab)?

    Al

  4. Re: How do I get FC4 to see other partitions?

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:51:43 GMT, ANC wrote:

    > I looked into what debian's fstab uses to find other partitions:
    >
    > /dev/sdb3 /mnt/sdb3 reiserfs noauto,users,exec 00
    >
    > Seems to me I could make a sdb3 dir in /mnt and pop the above line in
    > fstab???

    Yep. Also makes it easy to copy lines when the mount point is the same
    in all distributions.

    > How does debian put up a KDE icon? Is that a function of KDE to put icons on
    > all 'found' partition (ie. in fstab)?

    Just depends. KDE (3.4.1) is not doing that on Mandriva/drake. I would be
    chapped if I had a bunch of partition icons. What 2006 Mandriva have
    is a media icon and clicking it shows my 11 partitions.

+ Reply to Thread