Can I install FC4 to ONE partition and not two? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Can I install FC4 to ONE partition and not two? - Redhat ; I only have one primary partition left (sdb1). All others have swap or other distros. FC Install Guide says it MUST have a separate partition for / and for /boot. I have no room. Other distros let me install the ...

  1. Can I install FC4 to ONE partition and not two?

    I only have one primary partition left (sdb1). All others have swap or other
    distros.

    FC Install Guide says it MUST have a separate partition for / and for /boot.
    I have no room. Other distros let me install the whole mess to one
    partition (I know the benefits of logical/extended... but that's another
    story.)

    Will the FC installer let me put all of FC in sdb1 (20 GB)? If not, it's a
    deal breaker until I reorg the machine.

    Thanks,

    Al

  2. Re: Can I install FC4 to ONE partition and not two?

    ANC wrote:

    > I only have one primary partition left (sdb1). All others have swap or
    > other distros.
    >
    > FC Install Guide says it MUST have a separate partition for / and for
    > /boot. I have no room. Other distros let me install the whole mess to
    > one partition (I know the benefits of logical/extended... but that's
    > another story.)

    It is *really* a suggestion but not required, just like other distros
    the boot location can be located under the / (root) filesystem.

    $ cat /etc/fstab
    # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
    /dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    /dev/hda3 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda5 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
    none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder auto noauto,user,ro 0 0
    /dev/sda /mnt/usb_floppy auto noauto,user,rw 0 0
    /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb auto noauto,user,rw 0 0
    /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb2 auto noauto,user,rw 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner 0 0

    $ ls -l /
    total 144
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Aug 10 22:26 bin
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Aug 10 22:17 boot

    # cat /etc/grub.conf

    title Fedora Core (2.6.12.4)
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12.4 ro root=/dev/hda2 vga=791 quiet
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.12.4.img