Ghosh, so big pain to install new Disti, need some help - Redhat

This is a discussion on Ghosh, so big pain to install new Disti, need some help - Redhat ; Guys: I need to install new Fedora Core 4 onto new PC, I downloaded four ISO Images onto linux PC. Then did mount that on /mnt/tmp using this command (for first ISO Image) mount -o loop -t iso9660 FC4-i386....iso /mnt/tmp ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Ghosh, so big pain to install new Disti, need some help

    Guys:

    I need to install new Fedora Core 4 onto new PC, I downloaded four ISO
    Images onto linux PC. Then did mount that on /mnt/tmp using this
    command (for first ISO Image)

    mount -o loop -t iso9660 FC4-i386....iso /mnt/tmp

    I did zip all the files under /mnt/tmp Directory and ftp's that file
    onto Windows machine and then unzip onto a separate folder and then
    burned all those files onto a CD(I have to do this way since I have
    only CD-RW on my windows PC, I don't have CD burner on my Linux PC),
    then I tried to install Fedore Core 4 using the newly burnbed Cd, when
    I reset my new PC after inserting this new CD onto its drive, Linux is
    not booting at all to install. I can see teh files on the CD. What was
    the problem here?. Do I need any other utils?.

  2. Re: Ghosh, so big pain to install new Disti, need some help

    GS wrote:
    > Guys:
    >
    > I need to install new Fedora Core 4 onto new PC, I downloaded four ISO
    > Images onto linux PC. Then did mount that on /mnt/tmp using this
    > command (for first ISO Image)
    >
    > mount -o loop -t iso9660 FC4-i386....iso /mnt/tmp
    >
    > I did zip all the files under /mnt/tmp Directory and ftp's that file
    > onto Windows machine and then unzip onto a separate folder and then
    > burned all those files onto a CD(I have to do this way since I have
    > only CD-RW on my windows PC, I don't have CD burner on my Linux PC),
    > then I tried to install Fedore Core 4 using the newly burnbed Cd, when
    > I reset my new PC after inserting this new CD onto its drive, Linux is
    > not booting at all to install. I can see teh files on the CD. What was
    > the problem here?. Do I need any other utils?.

    The key fact may be that the CD burn did not render a bootable image.
    You didn't say what application you used to burn the CD, nor your steps
    in doing so.

    Would it be possible to download the iso files to the Windows PC
    directly. Then, follow your CD burner application software's steps for
    making a bootable CD.

    Best of luck.

  3. Re: Ghosh, so big pain to install new Disti, need some help

    Thanks for reply. Actually I downloaded onto PC also, but then I burned
    ISO Image onto CD, CD contains only ISO Image, then I thought I am
    wrong and I don't know how to extract files from ISO on PC, also I
    couldn't find any procedure on the Fedora link below how to extract
    files from ISO Image and make bootable CD. If somebody have any idea,
    can somebody write me two lines, appreciated.

    http://www.fedora.redhat.com/download/

  4. Re: Ghosh, so big pain to install new Disti, need some help

    "GS" writes:

    > Guys:
    >
    > I need to install new Fedora Core 4 onto new PC

    ....???...
    > I reset my new PC after inserting this new CD onto its drive, Linux is
    > not booting at all to install. I can see teh files on the CD. What was
    > the problem here?. Do I need any other utils?.

    Check your BIOS. Make sure it's set to allow booting from the CD.

  5. Re: Ghosh, so big pain to install new Disti, need some help

    The first option is CD only, if I put different Linux, it tries to
    install

  6. Re: Ghosh, so big pain to install new Disti, need some help

    GS wrote:
    > The first option is CD only, if I put different Linux, it tries to
    > install

    At this point you haven't told us about your intended system but that
    it should be i386 & FC4 compatible. (Not PPC or 64 bit) We'll assume
    you're trying to get Disc1 to work, and that you received it's download
    from:

    or a like mirror. That download should be approx 635MB in size. The
    next step should be to check the sha1sum with a Windows utility written
    by Werner Koch. It's available at:

    >From a DOS prompt type: sha1sum.exe FC4-i386-disc1.iso

    After running the Windows utility sha1sum.exe against your download,
    the result must must have a perfect sha1checksum of:

    3fb2924c8fb8098dbc8260f69824e9c437d28c68

    If you, or someone else, has a better Windows based sha1sum checking
    utility, please enlighten us all.

    If all the above is OK at this point, then we can look into your CD
    burn process.

    If other readers find fault with the above, this is their license to
    step in and please show us the way.

    Please forgive me if I've become very basic in these steps. It seems
    the only reasonable way to find out where this process is breaking down
    for you. Good luck to you.

  7. Re: Ghosh, so big pain to install new Disti, need some help

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:52:45 -0700, GS wrote:

    > contains only ISO Image

    Sounds like you burned a CD with the ISO as the only file on it, instead
    of burning a CD with the image contained in the ISO file. Check your CD
    writing tool for an option like "create CD from image".

    Fil

  8. Re: Ghosh, so big pain to install new Disti, need some help

    Thanks for posting. Yes, I calculated checksum on my Windiws PC, it
    matched with the value whatever given in the above Post. Now I have
    FC4-i386-disc1.iso file and all other three ISO files also. Please let
    me know what I have to do next. I have CD burner on my Windows PC.
    Thanks.

  9. Re: Ghosh, so big pain to install new Disti, need some help

    GS wrote:
    > Thanks for posting. Yes, I calculated checksum on my Windiws PC, it
    > matched with the value whatever given in the above Post. Now I have
    > FC4-i386-disc1.iso file and all other three ISO files also. Please let
    > me know what I have to do next. I have CD burner on my Windows PC.
    > Thanks.

    Congratulations for doing well! You are well on your way! I hope you
    have taken the time to check for the proper sha1sums on the other three
    iso files too.

    Now that you've downloaded the four iso images to one of your PC's
    Windows directories, sometimes just double-clicking on the iso filename
    is all you'd need to begin the proper process to burn the CD. However,
    if that doesn't launch the the needed application, please tell us the
    following:

    1.) Is your PC a so called i386, 64 bit or PowerPC? It's a little late
    to ask this but I'm just making sure.

    2.) What is the name and version of the application you'll use to burn
    the images?

    If I'm not familiar with your application, I may take a back seat to
    the other fine folks that read and post here. If possible, study the
    help file for the application and try to figure out what you're going
    to need to burn a bootable image. If you think you can take over from
    here, good luck to you. Otherwise I'll be looking in on this newsgroup
    today and Sunday.

  10. Re: Ghosh, so big pain to install new Disti, need some help

    Thanks. I verified Checksum for all four files, it matched. My PC is
    based on i386. I downloaded "nero" to burn CD ROM, it takes ISO Images
    (this is eval version), I burned CD using this "Nero burning ROM" prog
    , it takes 6 Minutes to burn a CD, after burning a CD, I verified the
    files in CD, it shows all the required files (I matched with ISO Image
    on Linux PC), after that I tried to install Fedora on my PC with this
    CD, I can see it boots, then "Media check" fails, if I skip Media
    check, then the installation has errors. It is not going through. I am
    not understanding whether my CD burning is not correct?.

    Thanks.

  11. Re: Ghosh, so big pain to install new Disti, need some help

    "GS" wrote in message
    news:1123985162.779682.249270@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
    > Thanks. I verified Checksum for all four files, it matched. My PC is
    > based on i386. I downloaded "nero" to burn CD ROM, it takes ISO Images
    > (this is eval version), I burned CD using this "Nero burning ROM" prog
    > , it takes 6 Minutes to burn a CD, after burning a CD, I verified the
    > files in CD, it shows all the required files (I matched with ISO Image
    > on Linux PC), after that I tried to install Fedora on my PC with this
    > CD, I can see it boots, then "Media check" fails, if I skip Media
    > check, then the installation has errors. It is not going through. I am
    > not understanding whether my CD burning is not correct?.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Try burning it slower.

    Randy

  12. Re: Ghosh, so big pain to install new Disti, need some help

    I tried 24x, 16x and 8x, in all three cases, the Media check fails. I
    am getting this message. Please advise me any other solution, thanks.

    The Media check of the Image:
    Fedora Core 4 disc 1
    is complete, and the result is: FAIL.
    The image which was tested has errors. This could be due to a corrupt
    download or a bad disc. If applicable, please clean the disc and try
    again.

  13. Re: Ghosh, so big pain to install new Disti, need some help

    "GS" writes:

    > I tried 24x, 16x and 8x, in all three cases, the Media check fails. I
    > am getting this message. Please advise me any other solution, thanks.
    >
    > The Media check of the Image:
    > Fedora Core 4 disc 1
    > is complete, and the result is: FAIL.
    > The image which was tested has errors. This could be due to a corrupt
    > download or a bad disc. If applicable, please clean the disc and try
    > again.

    Make sure you use a CD-R, not a CDRW.

    Look in the BIOS for any setting for the CD or IDE that might be affecting
    how the CD works.

  14. Re: Ghosh, so big pain to install new Disti, need some help

    Yes, I am using CD-R only, also if I insert this CD and restart my PC,
    it recognizes and tries to install, then once I enter, it creates root
    file system and loader the loader and all, after some time it goes to
    "media check", which failes, even if I skip media check, also the
    installation failes. Sofar I burned 15 CD's.

    if I insert some other Linux CD to install, no problem at all.

  15. Re: Ghosh, so big pain to install new Disti, need some help

    GS wrote:
    > Yes, I am using CD-R only, also if I insert this CD and restart my PC,
    > it recognizes and tries to install, then once I enter, it creates root
    > file system and loader the loader and all, after some time it goes to
    > "media check", which failes, even if I skip media check, also the
    > installation failes. Sofar I burned 15 CD's.
    >
    > if I insert some other Linux CD to install, no problem at all.

    You obviously are doing the correct processes and the advice from the
    other folks is very accurate and thoughtful. I'd ask you to tell us
    what version Windows Operating System you're using, though that might
    not mean much.

    The other is don't allow any other Windows applications to launch
    during the CD burn and terminate as many applications as you can before
    you launch Nero Burning. When the burn has started, I try not to even
    move the mouse or allow anything else to start or happen. I'd even try
    holding my breath for the six minute burn. :-)

    If all else fails, try to change to another PC for the burn. My
    sincere compliments to the other poster in this thread.

  16. Re: Ghosh, so big pain to install new Disti, need some help

    peanutwhistle wrote:
    > GS wrote:
    > > Yes, I am using CD-R only, also if I insert this CD and restart my PC,
    > > it recognizes and tries to install, then once I enter, it creates root
    > > file system and loader the loader and all, after some time it goes to
    > > "media check", which failes, even if I skip media check, also the
    > > installation failes. Sofar I burned 15 CD's.
    > >
    > > if I insert some other Linux CD to install, no problem at all.

    > You obviously are doing the correct processes and the advice from the
    > other folks is very accurate and thoughtful. I'd ask you to tell us
    > what version Windows Operating System you're using, though that might
    > not mean much.
    >
    > The other is don't allow any other Windows applications to launch
    > during the CD burn and terminate as many applications as you can before
    > you launch Nero Burning. When the burn has started, I try not to even
    > move the mouse or allow anything else to start or happen. I'd even try
    > holding my breath for the six minute burn. :-)
    >
    > If all else fails, try to change to another PC for the burn. My
    > sincere compliments to the other poster in this thread.

    Posters. Sorry folks.

  17. Re: Ghosh, so big pain to install new Disti, need some help

    I am sorry, I am using "Windows XP" to burn CD. Only this PC had CD
    burner, all other PC's are just CD-R only. But after burning CD, I can
    see all files on that CD, that means it is burning all files onto the
    CD, that is what I am not understanding.

    Thanks.

  18. Re: Ghosh, so big pain to install new Disti, need some help

    "GS" wrote in message
    news:1124064759.311529.192850@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
    >I am sorry, I am using "Windows XP" to burn CD. Only this PC had CD
    > burner, all other PC's are just CD-R only. But after burning CD, I can
    > see all files on that CD, that means it is burning all files onto the
    > CD, that is what I am not understanding.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Just because you can see the files it does not mean that it was recorded
    "correctly":

    You could have a bad ISO file (you may need to download the 1st disk image
    again).

    The reader being used may not be able to reliably read the disks generated
    by your burner (try booting on another computer to do the media test,
    especially from the PC with the burner).

    Booting off the CD and running the media test does not affect the hard drive
    (it won't mess up the existing windows).

    Randy

  19. Re: Ghosh, so big pain to install new Disti, need some help

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 19:34:26 -0500, Randy McLaughlin wrote:

    > The reader being used may not be able to reliably read the disks generated
    > by your burner (try booting on another computer to do the media test,
    > especially from the PC with the burner).

    I had the same problem, download FC4 iso files, sums were correct, media check
    failed, installed all package groups + extra packages and system came
    up of FC4.

  20. Re: Ghosh, so big pain to install new Disti, need some help

    GS wrote:
    > I am sorry, I am using "Windows XP" to burn CD. Only this PC had CD
    > burner, all other PC's are just CD-R only. But after burning CD, I can
    > see all files on that CD, that means it is burning all files onto the
    > CD, that is what I am not understanding.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Fil already gave you the answer but you did not understand it. So I'll
    repeat his instruction here ...
    Sounds like you burned a CD with the ISO as the only file on it, instead
    of burning a CD with the image contained in the ISO file. Check your CD
    writing tool for an option like "create CD from image".

    For example, Nero has the option 'Disc Image' ... which is the one to
    choose. Burning the .iso file as data is no good.
    If your CD burning tool does not offer you such an option, find one that
    does.

    --
    If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it's still a foolish thing.
    -- Bertrand Russell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast