How can I work around Random fatal errors during FC4 install - Redhat

This is a discussion on How can I work around Random fatal errors during FC4 install - Redhat ; I am getting random, fatal errors during my attempts to install FC4. That latest example is on package openssh-clients-4.Op1.3.i386.rpm ..."This can indicate media failure, lack of disk space, and/or hardware problems ... Fatal error ... install aborted ... reboot". Given ...

  1. How can I work around Random fatal errors during FC4 install

    I am getting random, fatal errors during my attempts to install FC4. That
    latest example is on package openssh-clients-4.Op1.3.i386.rpm ..."This can
    indicate media failure, lack of disk space, and/or hardware problems ...
    Fatal error ... install aborted ... reboot". Given that I have now spent
    more than 18 hours a day for the past 8 days trying to install FC4, I think
    I need help.

    I don't think I have a media failure. I have validated all 4 CDs as part of
    the early steps of FC4 install, and have created 2 other copies of CD1
    (install has never got to the point of asking for any other CD).

    I don't think I have exhausted all the disk space. Following the guidelines
    in the Installation documentation I have allocated space as follows:

    /boot : 149 Mb in it's own, primary partition (formatted ex3)
    (root): 12402 Mb in an extended partition (formatted ex3)
    swap: 847 Mb (on a system with 384 Mb RAM)

    These are all on a 19540 Mb harddisk, with the first 6142 Mb allocated to
    Windows Server 2003 Web Edition.

    I don't think I have a hardware problem. I am using a Plextor drive (almost
    new, with a good reputation) and am able to re-install and run Windows
    Server 2003 at will without problem (which I have done repeatedly over the
    last 2 weeks).

    I've read the forums and FAQs, and searched Google, but don't find anything
    that practically guides me further. There is a recommendation to check the
    MD5 checksum on the CD, but since I don't know what is should be, and don't
    see one defined anywhere on CD1, this test will not be meaningful.

    I would like to try installing from a hard disk (my system has a second, 4
    GB harddisk, formatted as FAT32, which I could use). But I don't know how to
    copy the 4 FC4 Cds to this harddisk to maintain their directory structures
    (other than using Windows).

    The FC4 installation guide refers to the process of installing from the
    harddisk, but I cannot unambiguously parse the content of the guide. It
    mentions 'ISO images' but I don't know if this means files of type ISO only
    (of which there is only 1 - boot.iso - on CD1) or files of type .img also.
    Further, there are many more files of type other than ISO or .img on the
    CDs, so it is not clear if these too should be copied.

    Even if I make the safe(?) assumption and copy all files to harddisk (from
    Windows since Linux is not installed!), then I still don't know how to start
    the installation. The guide says 'if you choose this option.....' but gives
    no indication of where or how the option is to be chosen.

    A nudge in the right direction would be very gratefully received.

  2. Re: How can I work around Random fatal errors during FC4 install

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 23:03:42 +0000, FP Learner wrote:

    > I am getting random, fatal errors during my attempts to install FC4. That
    > latest example is on package openssh-clients-4.Op1.3.i386.rpm ..."This can
    > indicate media failure, lack of disk space, and/or hardware problems ...
    > Fatal error ... install aborted ... reboot". Given that I have now spent
    > more than 18 hours a day for the past 8 days trying to install FC4, I think
    > I need help.

    For what it might be worth - It turned out to be faulty memory when it
    happened to me.
    __
    Iain

+ Reply to Thread