Upgrade to FC4 from RH9 no speakers now - Redhat

This is a discussion on Upgrade to FC4 from RH9 no speakers now - Redhat ; After upgrading my laptop, dell inspiron 5100 from RH9 to FC4 caused my speakers to not have any sound. There is sound when I plug headphones into the headphone jack. Now when I run gnome-volume-control only one PCM shows up. ...

  1. Upgrade to FC4 from RH9 no speakers now

    After upgrading my laptop, dell inspiron 5100 from RH9 to FC4 caused my
    speakers to not have any sound. There is sound when I plug headphones
    into the headphone jack. Now when I run gnome-volume-control only one PCM
    shows up. In the past (RH9) there were 2 PCMs, one for the speakers and
    one for the headphones. How to I get my speakers back???? HELP!!

    Dante

  2. Re: Upgrade to FC4 from RH9 no speakers now

    Dante Bell wrote:

    > After upgrading my laptop, dell inspiron 5100 from RH9 to FC4 caused
    > my
    > speakers to not have any sound. There is sound when I plug headphones
    > into the headphone jack. Now when I run gnome-volume-control only one
    > PCM
    > shows up. In the past (RH9) there were 2 PCMs, one for the speakers
    > and
    > one for the headphones. How to I get my speakers back???? HELP!!

    Fedora Core 4 in many cases defaults to having the (ASLA) sound muted
    when the system boots. Open the volume control from the panel or from
    the applications and sound & video, adjust the all volumes, and in a
    terminal, as root, run the command:

    /sbin/MAKEDEV -d /etc/udev/devices/ sound

    and add the line below to the /etc/rc.d/rc.local

    /usr/sbin/alsactl restore