Can't install graphical UI in FC4 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Can't install graphical UI in FC4 - Redhat ; If I install FC4, taking all defaults (aside from a bit of manual partition management with Disk Druid)) I end up with a text/command-line only interface to FC4 and a successful dual boot (to Win 2003 server web edition). Being ...

  1. Can't install graphical UI in FC4

    If I install FC4, taking all defaults (aside from a bit of manual partition
    management with Disk Druid)) I end up with a text/command-line only
    interface to FC4 and a successful dual boot (to Win 2003 server web
    edition). Being totally new to the wonderful world free from Microsoft, I
    can't use this interface in any meaningful way.

    If I repeat the install selecting either or both of GNOME and/or KDE then
    install gives me the message "Error informing the kernel about
    modifications to partition /dev/hde3 - Device or Resource busy". I'm then
    presented with two options: Ignore or Cancel. Selecting either of these
    results in an installation failure as a result of 'excepton occured'.

    So I have a choice of a command line interface, which I can't use, or a
    failed install. This is not part of the FC4 design, is it? If not, what am I
    doing wrong?

  2. Re: Can't install graphical UI in FC4

    FP Learner wrote:

    > If I install FC4, taking all defaults (aside from a bit of manual
    > partition management with Disk Druid)) I end up with a
    > text/command-line only interface to FC4 and a successful dual boot (to
    > Win 2003 server web edition). Being totally new to the wonderful world
    > free from Microsoft, I can't use this interface in any meaningful way.
    >
    > If I repeat the install selecting either or both of GNOME and/or KDE
    > then
    > install gives me the message "Error informing the kernel about
    > modifications to partition /dev/hde3 - Device or Resource busy". I'm
    > then presented with two options: Ignore or Cancel. Selecting either of
    > these results in an installation failure as a result of 'excepton
    > occured'.
    >

    > So I have a choice of a command line interface, which I can't use, or
    > a failed install. This is not part of the FC4 design, is it? If not,
    > what am I doing wrong?

    The command line is perfectly capable of getting this problem resolved,
    which is how you are going to attempt to fix this problem. First boot
    the system and when ready log in as root (type root followed by the
    pressing the Enter) suppling the password when asked. Type the
    following commands in order, pressing the Enter key after each one;

    init 3
    mv /etc/Xll/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.hold
    system-config-display

    When done you a test the configuration by typing;

    startx

    If your video card is a nVidia graphics card or ATI Radeon card then
    visit here before running the system-config-display command;

    http://www.fedorafaq.org/

    If you need additional help post a reply. When replying provide some
    information about your system, please read before replying;

    Also review the site below for help installing add on packages in FC4
    and welcome to Linux.

    http://evolutioncolt.com/fedoraguide/

  3. Re: Can't install graphical UI in FC4

    "Lenard" wrote in message
    news:BoVKe.1183$O07.83@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net. ..
    > FP Learner wrote:
    > >
    > > If not,
    > > what am I doing wrong?

    > The command line is perfectly capable of getting this problem resolved,
    > which is how you are going to attempt to fix this problem. First boot
    > the system and when ready log in as root (type root followed by the
    > pressing the Enter) suppling the password when asked. Type the
    > following commands in order, pressing the Enter key after each one;
    >
    > init 3
    > mv /etc/Xll/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.hold
    > system-config-display
    >
    > When done you a test the configuration by typing;
    >
    > startx
    >
    > If your video card is a nVidia graphics card or ATI Radeon card then
    > visit here before running the system-config-display command;
    >
    > http://www.fedorafaq.org/
    >
    > If you need additional help post a reply. When replying provide some
    > information about your system, please read before replying;
    >
    > Also review the site below for help installing add on packages in FC4
    > and welcome to Linux.
    >
    > http://evolutioncolt.com/fedoraguide/
    >

    > --
    > safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- B. Franklin, 1759

    Well, I composed a reply and then something in your reply to my post
    caught my eye: "..read before replying..." So I did
    - and threw away my previous reply.

    Now, all I would like to say is thank you for the clear and helpful advice
    on a potential solution to my problem, and even bigger thank you for the
    pointer to the 'smart-questions' document.

+ Reply to Thread