Two Linux OS's and Use Same 1 Swap file on Same HDD?? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Two Linux OS's and Use Same 1 Swap file on Same HDD?? - Redhat ; I have 1 60GB HDD, and the 1st half has WinXP and the other half has SuSE 9.3, and I am about to install Redhat Fedora, so I'm about to make some space with Partition Magic 8. Can I reuse ...

  1. Two Linux OS's and Use Same 1 Swap file on Same HDD??

    I have 1 60GB HDD, and the 1st half has WinXP and the other half has SuSE
    9.3, and I am about to install Redhat Fedora, so I'm about to make some
    space with Partition Magic 8. Can I reuse that same 1 Linux Swap partition
    that is being used by SuSE for Redhat? Seems like I can, as it's unmounted
    and not used when attempting to switch from one Linux OS to another. If
    anyone knows for a fact I can do that or has done that, please let me know.
    Thanks, Jay

  2. Re: Two Linux OS's and Use Same 1 Swap file on Same HDD??

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:48:39 -0500, Jay Quinn wrote:

    > I have 1 60GB HDD, and the 1st half has WinXP and the other half has SuSE
    > 9.3, and I am about to install Redhat Fedora, so I'm about to make some
    > space with Partition Magic 8. Can I reuse that same 1 Linux Swap partition
    > that is being used by SuSE for Redhat? Seems like I can, as it's unmounted
    > and not used when attempting to switch from one Linux OS to another. If
    > anyone knows for a fact I can do that or has done that, please let me know.
    > Thanks, Jay

    Of course you can share swap, there's nothing on it. You can also share
    /home and every other partition with except /. If I were you I'd get
    another disk, 60G is way to small even for one OS let alone three. I just
    picked up a 160G Seagate at CompUSA for $40 after rebates, so there really
    isn't any reason to live with a disk that small anymore.

  3. Re: Two Linux OS's and Use Same 1 Swap file on Same HDD??

    "General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
    newsan.2005.08.11.00.27.21.451336@yahoo.com...
    > On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:48:39 -0500, Jay Quinn wrote:
    >
    >> I have 1 60GB HDD, and the 1st half has WinXP and the other half has SuSE
    >> 9.3, and I am about to install Redhat Fedora, so I'm about to make some
    >> space with Partition Magic 8. Can I reuse that same 1 Linux Swap
    >> partition
    >> that is being used by SuSE for Redhat? Seems like I can, as it's
    >> unmounted
    >> and not used when attempting to switch from one Linux OS to another. If
    >> anyone knows for a fact I can do that or has done that, please let me
    >> know.
    >> Thanks, Jay

    > Of course you can share swap, there's nothing on it. You can also share
    > /home and every other partition with except /. If I were you I'd get
    > another disk, 60G is way to small even for one OS let alone three. I just
    > picked up a 160G Seagate at CompUSA for $40 after rebates, so there really
    > isn't any reason to live with a disk that small anymore.

    Thanks General, your and officer and a gentleman. I thought that it was ok,
    but this is my 1st time to do 2 Linux OS's, it shall be rather neat and I'll
    walk around the office and brag about it insistently. Yes, even though this
    is a laptop, and I can squeeze in 3, I really need to stop being an insane
    cheap ass bastard and just break down and buy an external drive. Thanks for
    reminding me of what an incredible tight wad I really am! --Jay Quinn

  4. Re: Two Linux OS's and Use Same 1 Swap file on Same HDD??

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 19:36:54 -0500, Jay Quinn wrote:

    > "General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
    > newsan.2005.08.11.00.27.21.451336@yahoo.com...
    >> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:48:39 -0500, Jay Quinn wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have 1 60GB HDD, and the 1st half has WinXP and the other half has SuSE
    >>> 9.3, and I am about to install Redhat Fedora, so I'm about to make some
    >>> space with Partition Magic 8. Can I reuse that same 1 Linux Swap
    >>> partition
    >>> that is being used by SuSE for Redhat? Seems like I can, as it's
    >>> unmounted
    >>> and not used when attempting to switch from one Linux OS to another. If
    >>> anyone knows for a fact I can do that or has done that, please let me
    >>> know.
    >>> Thanks, Jay

    >> Of course you can share swap, there's nothing on it. You can also share
    >> /home and every other partition with except /. If I were you I'd get
    >> another disk, 60G is way to small even for one OS let alone three. I just
    >> picked up a 160G Seagate at CompUSA for $40 after rebates, so there really
    >> isn't any reason to live with a disk that small anymore.
    >>

    > Thanks General, your and officer and a gentleman. I thought that it was ok,
    > but this is my 1st time to do 2 Linux OS's, it shall be rather neat and I'll
    > walk around the office and brag about it insistently. Yes, even though this
    > is a laptop, and I can squeeze in 3, I really need to stop being an insane
    > cheap ass bastard and just break down and buy an external drive. Thanks for
    > reminding me of what an incredible tight wad I really am! --Jay Quinn

    I didn't realize it was a laptop, laptop drives are considerably pricier.
    I just upped my laptop to 100G because I found that 60G just wasn't
    workable for a triple boot system, I have XP, FC3 32 bit and FC3 64 bit on
    mine. If you can wait for a few months Seagate has announced 160G laptop
    drives, they plan to ship them in Q4. 100G is adequate but not
    comfortable, 160G would be comfortable.

+ Reply to Thread