Help !!! Fedora Core 4 doesn't boot - Redhat

This is a discussion on Help !!! Fedora Core 4 doesn't boot - Redhat ; Can someone please help. I have never played with Linux before and i dont know hoe to recover it. Here is the story. I installed Fedora Core 4 (great OS) and everything was going fine until the day i started ...

  1. Help !!! Fedora Core 4 doesn't boot

    Can someone please help.
    I have never played with Linux before and i dont know hoe to recover it.
    Here is the story.
    I installed Fedora Core 4 (great OS) and everything was going fine until
    the day i started to follow the instructions in this page:

    http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_fedora_core_4

    When i was down to the point where it says :
    "Then run:

    touch /aquota.user /aquota.group
    chmod 600 /aquota.*
    mount -o remount /
    quotacheck -avugm
    quotaon -avug "

    The quotacheck came up with an error (i dont remember exactly what)
    Then i rebooted and got this :
    " Checking filesystems
    fsck.ext3 : Unable to resolve 'Label=/'
    ***An error occured during the file system check. Dropping you to a
    shell ;the system will reboot when you leave the shell.

    And its asking for the root password.
    I know that there is a way to recover the filesystem but i can't find it
    on the internet.
    Please help!!!!!!!

  2. Re: Help !!! Fedora Core 4 doesn't boot

    Andonis wrote:

    > Can someone please help.
    > I have never played with Linux before and i dont know hoe to recover
    > it. Here is the story.
    > I installed Fedora Core 4 (great OS) and everything was going fine
    > until the day i started to follow the instructions in this page:
    >
    > http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_fedora_core_4
    >
    > When i was down to the point where it says :
    > "Then run:
    >
    > touch /aquota.user /aquota.group
    > chmod 600 /aquota.*
    > mount -o remount /
    > quotacheck -avugm
    > quotaon -avug "
    >
    > The quotacheck came up with an error (i dont remember exactly what)
    > Then i rebooted and got this :
    > " Checking filesystems
    > fsck.ext3 : Unable to resolve 'Label=/'
    > ***An error occured during the file system check. Dropping you to a
    > shell ;the system will reboot when you leave the shell.
    >
    > And its asking for the root password.
    > I know that there is a way to recover the filesystem but i can't find
    > it
    > on the internet.
    > Please help!!!!!!!

    Boot using the installation media (first CD or the DVD) when the menu
    screen is displayed type; linux rescue

    Answer a few questions and read the on-screen messages pay attention to
    the last few screens (using the chroot command)

    Use the chroot command as per the on-screen instructions and undo your
    changes to /etc/fstab using an editor (vi or mc maybe) or possibly use
    the cp command (see 'man cp' without the quotes for the details)

    Hints:
    ls -l /etc/fstab*
    cp /etc/fstab~ /etc/fstab

    Bad;
    # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
    LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults,usrquota,grpquota 1 1

    Good;
    # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
    LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1

    Then try again, follow this instead (please read before attempting);
    http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/linux-adv/quota.htm

  3. Re: Help !!! Fedora Core 4 doesn't boot

    Lenard wrote:
    > Andonis wrote:
    >

    >>Can someone please help.
    >>I have never played with Linux before and i dont know hoe to recover
    >>it. Here is the story.
    >>I installed Fedora Core 4 (great OS) and everything was going fine
    >>until the day i started to follow the instructions in this page:
    >>
    >>http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_fedora_core_4
    >>
    >>When i was down to the point where it says :
    >>"Then run:
    >>
    >>touch /aquota.user /aquota.group
    >>chmod 600 /aquota.*
    >>mount -o remount /
    >>quotacheck -avugm
    >>quotaon -avug "
    >>
    >>The quotacheck came up with an error (i dont remember exactly what)
    >>Then i rebooted and got this :
    >>" Checking filesystems
    >>fsck.ext3 : Unable to resolve 'Label=/'
    >>***An error occured during the file system check. Dropping you to a
    >>shell ;the system will reboot when you leave the shell.
    >>
    >>And its asking for the root password.
    >>I know that there is a way to recover the filesystem but i can't find
    >>it
    >> on the internet.
    >>Please help!!!!!!!

    > Boot using the installation media (first CD or the DVD) when the menu
    > screen is displayed type; linux rescue
    >
    > Answer a few questions and read the on-screen messages pay attention to
    > the last few screens (using the chroot command)
    >
    > Use the chroot command as per the on-screen instructions and undo your
    > changes to /etc/fstab using an editor (vi or mc maybe) or possibly use
    > the cp command (see 'man cp' without the quotes for the details)
    >
    > Hints:
    > ls -l /etc/fstab*
    > cp /etc/fstab~ /etc/fstab
    >
    > Bad;
    > # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
    > LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults,usrquota,grpquota 1 1
    >
    > Good;
    > # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
    > LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
    >
    > Then try again, follow this instead (please read before attempting);
    > http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/linux-adv/quota.htm

    O.k
    I give
    vi /etc/fstab
    and the fstab comes up and i see the bad line as you said.

    "#This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
    LABEL =/ / ext3 defaults,usrquota,grpquota 1 1 "

    What do i do now ?
    Do i need to edit it ? Or remove it ?
    And how would i do that ?
    Please give me detailed instructions.
    Don't forget i am newbie.
    Thanks a lot

  4. Re: Help !!! Fedora Core 4 doesn't boot

    Andonis wrote:

    >> Hints:
    >> ls -l /etc/fstab*
    >> cp /etc/fstab~ /etc/fstab

    Did you try this???

    If you have a file named fstab~ then it should be (hopefully) the fstab
    file before you made the quota changes, check by typing
    'cat /etc/fstab~' without the quotes. The first few lines should look
    the 'good' example already provided (below). If the file exists and
    looks like the 'good' example then use the cp(copy) command above to
    replace the current /etc/fstab file. Then reboot the system with the
    CD/DVD removed, the system should 'fix' itself, if not the follow the
    on screen instructions. Give the root password then type something
    like;

    fsck -A -r

    >> Good;
    >> # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for
    >> # details
    >> LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1

    > O.k
    > I give
    > vi /etc/fstab
    > and the fstab comes up and i see the bad line as you said.
    >
    > "#This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
    > LABEL =/ / ext3 defaults,usrquota,grpquota 1 1 "
    >
    > What do i do now ?
    > Do i need to edit it ?

    Yes, edit the /etc/fstab file make the line read like the good
    example(delete the offending part). See; 'man vi' without the quotes
    for the instructions on using vi.

    You could try using nano (much more newbie friendly) instead of vi.

    nano /etc/fstab

    When with the edit and saving of the /etc/fstab file reboot the system
    with the CD/DVD removed, the system should 'fix' itself, if not the
    follow the on screen instructions. Give the root password then type
    something like;

    fsck -A -r

    See 'man fsck' without the quotes for the details, instructions and
    options.

  5. Re: Help !!! Fedora Core 4 doesn't boot

    Lenard wrote:
    > Andonis wrote:
    >

    >>>Hints:
    >>>ls -l /etc/fstab*
    >>>cp /etc/fstab~ /etc/fstab

    > Did you try this???
    >
    > If you have a file named fstab~ then it should be (hopefully) the fstab
    > file before you made the quota changes, check by typing
    > 'cat /etc/fstab~' without the quotes. The first few lines should look
    > the 'good' example already provided (below). If the file exists and
    > looks like the 'good' example then use the cp(copy) command above to
    > replace the current /etc/fstab file. Then reboot the system with the
    > CD/DVD removed, the system should 'fix' itself, if not the follow the
    > on screen instructions. Give the root password then type something
    > like;
    >
    > fsck -A -r
    >

    >>>Good;
    >>># This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for
    >>># details
    >>>LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1

    >>O.k
    >>I give
    >>vi /etc/fstab
    >>and the fstab comes up and i see the bad line as you said.
    >>
    >>"#This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
    >> LABEL =/ / ext3 defaults,usrquota,grpquota 1 1 "
    >>
    >>What do i do now ?
    >>Do i need to edit it ?

    > Yes, edit the /etc/fstab file make the line read like the good
    > example(delete the offending part). See; 'man vi' without the quotes
    > for the instructions on using vi.
    >
    > You could try using nano (much more newbie friendly) instead of vi.
    >
    > nano /etc/fstab
    >
    > When with the edit and saving of the /etc/fstab file reboot the system
    > with the CD/DVD removed, the system should 'fix' itself, if not the
    > follow the on screen instructions. Give the root password then type
    > something like;
    >
    > fsck -A -r
    >
    > See 'man fsck' without the quotes for the details, instructions and
    > options.

    Yes I tried to copy the fstab~ but it gives me an error:
    "Error writing /etc/fstab:Read only file system"
    Is it mounted as read only.
    How will i mount it read/write ?

    I also tried nano (thank you ,it is indeed more newbie friendly)and
    still it doesn't write the file.

    Thanks a lot for your help.
    I know we will get there ,its only a matter of time.
    Andonis

  6. Re: Help !!! Fedora Core 4 doesn't boot

    Andonis wrote:

    > Yes I tried to copy the fstab~ but it gives me an error:
    > "Error writing /etc/fstab:Read only file system"
    > Is it mounted as read only.
    > How will i mount it read/write ?
    >
    > I also tried nano (thank you ,it is indeed more newbie friendly)and
    > still it doesn't write the file.
    >
    > Thanks a lot for your help.
    > I know we will get there ,its only a matter of time.
    > Andonis

    The root partition should have been read-write already, unless you
    choose to mount the Linux partitions read only when asked during the
    rescue booting from the CD/DVD. No biggie just try again, this time
    choose the default option to 'Continue' then use the
    'chroot /mnt/sysimage' command as directed by the on-screen message
    when the system is done booting and ready to accept input.

    If you have the same problem still with write access to the partition
    then try typing the following lines one at a time;

    /mnt/sysimage/usr/sbin/chroot /mnt/sysimage
    mount -o remount -rw /

  7. Re: Help !!! Fedora Core 4 doesn't boot

    Lenard wrote:
    > Andonis wrote:
    >

    >>Yes I tried to copy the fstab~ but it gives me an error:
    >>"Error writing /etc/fstab:Read only file system"
    >>Is it mounted as read only.
    >>How will i mount it read/write ?
    >>
    >>I also tried nano (thank you ,it is indeed more newbie friendly)and
    >>still it doesn't write the file.
    >>
    >>Thanks a lot for your help.
    >>I know we will get there ,its only a matter of time.
    >>Andonis

    > The root partition should have been read-write already, unless you
    > choose to mount the Linux partitions read only when asked during the
    > rescue booting from the CD/DVD. No biggie just try again, this time
    > choose the default option to 'Continue' then use the
    > 'chroot /mnt/sysimage' command as directed by the on-screen message
    > when the system is done booting and ready to accept input.
    >
    > If you have the same problem still with write access to the partition
    > then try typing the following lines one at a time;
    >
    > /mnt/sysimage/usr/sbin/chroot /mnt/sysimage
    > mount -o remount -rw /

    Thanks ,Thanks ,Thanks ,Thanks ,Thanks
    I fixed it.
    This command did the trick:
    > mount -o remount -rw /

    Next time i 'll know better not to mess with the fstab file.
    But i learned some stuff.
    Thanks again.
    And if you know any good How To's please share them, because Linux is a
    difficoult beast.
    Thanks
    Andonis

  8. Re: Help !!! Fedora Core 4 doesn't boot

    Andonis wrote:

    > Thanks ,Thanks ,Thanks ,Thanks ,Thanks
    > I fixed it.

    Your welcome, and congratulations!!!

    > This command did the trick:
    > > mount -o remount -rw /

    OK, now learn about the mount command; man mount

    > Next time i 'll know better not to mess with the fstab file.

    Some more learning; man fstab

    > But i learned some stuff.

    Then it was worth it.

    > Thanks again.
    > And if you know any good How To's please share them, because Linux is
    > a difficoult beast.

    http://www.tldp.org

    Linux is no harder to learn then DOS/Windows it's just a different OS
    not geared to hide anything from the user. It takes a bit of time to
    learn how to do things, some of the learning curve is unlearning some
    bad habits. Some is learning to 'speak' Linux. Start slow (even though
    you just went through a lesson the hard way) and build your knowledge
    one day at a time. After all you learned to crawl before you learned to
    walk.

    And, Welcome to Linux!!!

  9. Re: Help !!! Fedora Core 4 doesn't boot

    Andonis wrote:
    > Lenard wrote:
    >
    >> Andonis wrote:
    >>

    >>> Yes I tried to copy the fstab~ but it gives me an error:
    >>> "Error writing /etc/fstab:Read only file system"
    >>> Is it mounted as read only.
    >>> How will i mount it read/write ?
    >>>
    >>> I also tried nano (thank you ,it is indeed more newbie friendly)and
    >>> still it doesn't write the file.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks a lot for your help.
    >>> I know we will get there ,its only a matter of time.
    >>> Andonis

    >> The root partition should have been read-write already, unless you
    >> choose to mount the Linux partitions read only when asked during the
    >> rescue booting from the CD/DVD. No biggie just try again, this time
    >> choose the default option to 'Continue' then use the
    >> 'chroot /mnt/sysimage' command as directed by the on-screen message
    >> when the system is done booting and ready to accept input.
    >>
    >> If you have the same problem still with write access to the partition
    >> then try typing the following lines one at a time;
    >>
    >> /mnt/sysimage/usr/sbin/chroot /mnt/sysimage
    >> mount -o remount -rw /
    >>

    > Thanks ,Thanks ,Thanks ,Thanks ,Thanks
    > I fixed it.
    > This command did the trick:
    > > mount -o remount -rw /

    > Next time i 'll know better not to mess with the fstab file.
    > But i learned some stuff.
    > Thanks again.
    > And if you know any good How To's please share them, because Linux is a
    > difficoult beast.
    > Thanks
    > Andonis

    Linux is not a difficult beast; at least no more difficult than other
    OSs. But it is not something that can be absorbed overnight. How many
    years have you been learning Windows? How proficient do you think you
    will be in Linux after spending an equivalent time?

  10. Re: Help !!! Fedora Core 4 doesn't boot

    Sid wrote:
    > Andonis wrote:

    >>> The root partition should have been read-write already, unless you
    >>> choose to mount the Linux partitions read only when asked during the
    >>> rescue booting from the CD/DVD. No biggie just try again, this time
    >>> choose the default option to 'Continue' then use the
    >>> 'chroot /mnt/sysimage' command as directed by the on-screen message
    >>> when the system is done booting and ready to accept input.
    >>>
    >>> If you have the same problem still with write access to the partition
    >>> then try typing the following lines one at a time;
    >>>
    >>> /mnt/sysimage/usr/sbin/chroot /mnt/sysimage
    >>> mount -o remount -rw /
    >>>

    >> Thanks ,Thanks ,Thanks ,Thanks ,Thanks
    >> I fixed it.
    >> This command did the trick:
    >> > mount -o remount -rw /

    >> Next time i 'll know better not to mess with the fstab file.
    >> But i learned some stuff.
    >> Thanks again.
    >> And if you know any good How To's please share them, because Linux is
    >> a difficoult beast.
    >> Thanks
    >> Andonis

    > Linux is not a difficult beast; at least no more difficult than other
    > OSs. But it is not something that can be absorbed overnight. How many
    > years have you been learning Windows? How proficient do you think you
    > will be in Linux after spending an equivalent time?

    You are right.
    I have been using Windows for 7 years and consider myself an advanced
    user ( since i administer various mashines/servers at my workspace ).
    Installing it (Linux Fedora Core 4)was extremely easy (even for a
    Windows user) and using it as a workstation is easy as well .
    It's when you start messing with the server that its getting difficult
    and only because it doesn't have enough Gui to support them.
    Everything needs to be done with a command prompt.
    This might be a politic for the Linux Projects but they have to
    understand that for a user/admin that wants to jump from a Windows
    environment ,where 95% or more of the work is being done through GUI, to
    Linux is pretty strange if not hard at the beggining.
    It requires a lot of reading and digging through the net to find the
    answers.
    Offcourse ,like in my case ,you are getting rewarded with that
    incredible feeling.
    But i wonder ,whow many more people would have been using Linux if it
    had more GUI (for the servers).
    And i mean working GUI,because once i started configuring Samba through
    the GUI and i did something wrong ,it wouldn't start up anymore.When i
    fixed it ( through the smb.conf) the GUI came up again.
    Linux !!!!
    Everybody says it's more stable and reliable than Windows.
    We will see.
    ANDONIS

  11. Re: Help !!! Fedora Core 4 doesn't boot

    > Thanks again.
    > And if you know any good How To's please share them, because Linux is a
    > difficoult beast.

    Check out http://www.tldp.org/ for lots of howtos...
    These may be installed somewhere on your machine too.

+ Reply to Thread