Up2date not functioning with FC4 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Up2date not functioning with FC4 - Redhat ; I have a local network with three PC's. Two of them are dual boot, and run FC3 when running Linux. On both of them the up2date applet nicely indicated when an update was available, and appropriate action could be taken. ...

  1. Up2date not functioning with FC4

    I have a local network with three PC's. Two of them are dual boot, and
    run FC3 when running Linux. On both of them the up2date applet nicely
    indicated when an update was available, and appropriate action could be
    taken.

    One of the PC's has been upgraded to FC4, and on this one, the up2date
    applet always indicates that the system is up to date, even when it is
    not (as checked with yum update). On the other one with FC3 the up2date
    applet still works properly.

    Any idea's what might be the reason of the problem?

    --
    Arie Spieker
    Bergen op Zoom

  2. Re: Up2date not functioning with FC4

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:58:32 +0200, Arie wrote:

    > I have a local network with three PC's. Two of them are dual boot, and
    > run FC3 when running Linux. On both of them the up2date applet nicely
    > indicated when an update was available, and appropriate action could be
    > taken.
    >
    > One of the PC's has been upgraded to FC4, and on this one, the up2date
    > applet always indicates that the system is up to date, even when it is
    > not (as checked with yum update). On the other one with FC3 the up2date
    > applet still works properly.
    >
    > Any idea's what might be the reason of the problem?

    I have the same issue with the box i upgraded too. I was thinking that
    it's probably due to a stale configuration file left over from FC3 but i
    haven't gone into it since i've been using yum.

    Take a look in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/ and see what you can make of the stuff
    there. My configuration appears to point to my yum repos but if that was
    true i wouldn't get the behaviour that the panel applet shows i don't
    think.

    --
    Registered Linux User #392373

  3. Re: Up2date not functioning with FC4

    eNJay wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:58:32 +0200, Arie wrote:
    >

    >>I have a local network with three PC's. Two of them are dual boot, and
    >>run FC3 when running Linux. On both of them the up2date applet nicely
    >>indicated when an update was available, and appropriate action could be
    >>taken.
    >>
    >>One of the PC's has been upgraded to FC4, and on this one, the up2date
    >>applet always indicates that the system is up to date, even when it is
    >>not (as checked with yum update). On the other one with FC3 the up2date
    >>applet still works properly.
    >>
    >>Any idea's what might be the reason of the problem?

    > I have the same issue with the box i upgraded too. I was thinking that
    > it's probably due to a stale configuration file left over from FC3 but i
    > haven't gone into it since i've been using yum.
    >
    > Take a look in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/ and see what you can make of the stuff
    > there. My configuration appears to point to my yum repos but if that was
    > true i wouldn't get the behaviour that the panel applet shows i don't
    > think.

    Well, actually first I did an upgrade from FC3 to FC4, and stumbled over
    this up2date problem. So next I decided to do a fresh install of FC4,
    but the problem was still the same..
    In /etc/sysconfig/rhn/ the only difference is the id number in
    up2date-uuid and the id number in rhn-applet.

    --
    Arie Spieker
    Bergen op Zoom

  4. Re: Up2date not functioning with FC4

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:58:32 +0200, Arie wrote:

    > I have a local network with three PC's. Two of them are dual boot, and
    > run FC3 when running Linux. On both of them the up2date applet nicely
    > indicated when an update was available, and appropriate action could be
    > taken.
    >
    > One of the PC's has been upgraded to FC4, and on this one, the up2date
    > applet always indicates that the system is up to date, even when it is
    > not (as checked with yum update). On the other one with FC3 the up2date
    > applet still works properly.
    >
    > Any idea's what might be the reason of the problem?

    I have the same problem with a fresh install.

  5. Re: Up2date not functioning with FC4

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:23:57 +0200, Arie wrote:

    > eNJay wrote:
    >> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:58:32 +0200, Arie wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have a local network with three PC's. Two of them are dual boot, and
    >>>run FC3 when running Linux. On both of them the up2date applet nicely
    >>>indicated when an update was available, and appropriate action could be
    >>>taken.
    >>>
    >>>One of the PC's has been upgraded to FC4, and on this one, the up2date
    >>>applet always indicates that the system is up to date, even when it is
    >>>not (as checked with yum update). On the other one with FC3 the up2date
    >>>applet still works properly.
    >>>
    >>>Any idea's what might be the reason of the problem?

    >> I have the same issue with the box i upgraded too. I was thinking that
    >> it's probably due to a stale configuration file left over from FC3 but i
    >> haven't gone into it since i've been using yum.
    >>
    >> Take a look in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/ and see what you can make of the stuff
    >> there. My configuration appears to point to my yum repos but if that was
    >> true i wouldn't get the behaviour that the panel applet shows i don't
    >> think.
    >>

    > Well, actually first I did an upgrade from FC3 to FC4, and stumbled over
    > this up2date problem. So next I decided to do a fresh install of FC4,
    > but the problem was still the same..
    > In /etc/sysconfig/rhn/ the only difference is the id number in
    > up2date-uuid and the id number in rhn-applet.

    On the machines that I installed FC4 on Up2date runs but every file has a
    GPG problem. I've found that yum update works fine. You need to run
    up2date once so that it sets up the pointers to the repositories but after
    that you should just use yum.

  6. Re: Up2date not functioning with FC4

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:23:57 +0200, Arie wrote:
    >

    >>eNJay wrote:

    >>>I have the same issue with the box i upgraded too. I was thinking that
    >>>it's probably due to a stale configuration file left over from FC3 but i
    >>>haven't gone into it since i've been using yum.
    >>>
    >>>Take a look in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/ and see what you can make of the stuff
    >>>there. My configuration appears to point to my yum repos but if that was
    >>>true i wouldn't get the behaviour that the panel applet shows i don't
    >>>think.
    >>>

    >>Well, actually first I did an upgrade from FC3 to FC4, and stumbled over
    >>this up2date problem. So next I decided to do a fresh install of FC4,
    >>but the problem was still the same..
    >>In /etc/sysconfig/rhn/ the only difference is the id number in
    >>up2date-uuid and the id number in rhn-applet.

    > On the machines that I installed FC4 on Up2date runs but every file has a
    > GPG problem. I've found that yum update works fine. You need to run
    > up2date once so that it sets up the pointers to the repositories but after
    > that you should just use yum.

    I had the same problem with the missing GPG's. Yes indeed, up2date
    itself works OK, but the applet is always blue green in color and never
    turns to red. So it's the applet that refuses to respond properly in FC4.

    --
    Arie Spieker
    Bergen op Zoom

  7. Re: Up2date not functioning with FC4

    I am getting the same error as well. I upgraded from FC3 to FC4.

    "Arie" wrote in message
    >I have a local network with three PC's. Two of them are dual boot, and run
    >FC3 when running Linux. On both of them the up2date applet nicely indicated
    >when an update was available, and appropriate action could be taken.
    >
    > One of the PC's has been upgraded to FC4, and on this one, the up2date
    > applet always indicates that the system is up to date, even when it is not
    > (as checked with yum update). On the other one with FC3 the up2date applet
    > still works properly.
    >
    > Any idea's what might be the reason of the problem?
    >

    > --
    > Arie Spieker
    > Bergen op Zoom
    > Netherlands
    > Linux? Just for fun!

  8. Re: Up2date not functioning with FC4

    I did a Fresh install and my UP2DATE does not appear to be working, or
    else everything is up to date. I doubt that since Yum had hundreds of
    updates. My up2date is on and running, just never has any updates.

    Mike

    Terry E Snyder Jr. wrote:
    > I am getting the same error as well. I upgraded from FC3 to FC4.
    >

    > "Arie" wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a local network with three PC's. Two of them are dual boot, and run
    >>FC3 when running Linux. On both of them the up2date applet nicely indicated
    >>when an update was available, and appropriate action could be taken.
    >>
    >>One of the PC's has been upgraded to FC4, and on this one, the up2date
    >>applet always indicates that the system is up to date, even when it is not
    >>(as checked with yum update). On the other one with FC3 the up2date applet
    >>still works properly.
    >>
    >>Any idea's what might be the reason of the problem?
    >>

    >>--
    >>Arie Spieker
    >>Bergen op Zoom
    >>Netherlands
    >>Linux? Just for fun!

  9. Re: Up2date not functioning with FC4

    In article ,
    Mike Underwood wrote:

    >I did a Fresh install and my UP2DATE does not appear to be working, or
    >else everything is up to date. I doubt that since Yum had hundreds of
    >updates. My up2date is on and running, just never has any updates.

    I had the same thing. It was looking for FC3 updates instead of FC4.
    Someone pointed me to a file - and now I can't find a note giving the
    name - where they incorredtly had FC3 in the configuration. But I
    downloaded some of the update RPMs and installed by hand and after that
    things worked as they should.
    --

    jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

  10. Re: Up2date not functioning with FC4

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:32:30 +0000, Mike Underwood wrote:

    > I did a Fresh install and my UP2DATE does not appear to be working, or
    > else everything is up to date. I doubt that since Yum had hundreds of
    > updates. My up2date is on and running, just never has any updates.
    >
    > Mike

    UP2Date is a piece of crap, don't even bother to try and get it working.
    I've switched to yumex, it's vastly superior to up2date. I think they've
    included yumex as part of FC4, do a yum install yumex. If that doesn't
    work you can get the rpm from here,

    http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat...oarch.rpm.html

  11. Re: Up2date not functioning with FC4

    On $DATE , General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:32:30 +0000, Mike Underwood wrote:
    >
    >> I did a Fresh install and my UP2DATE does not appear to be
    >> working, or
    >> else everything is up to date. I doubt that since Yum had
    >> hundreds of
    >> updates. My up2date is on and running, just never has any
    >> updates.
    >>
    >> Mike

    > UP2Date is a piece of crap, don't even bother to try and get it
    > working. I've switched to yumex, it's vastly superior to up2date.
    > I think they've included yumex as part of FC4, do a yum install
    > yumex. If that doesn't work you can get the rpm from here,

    http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat...oarch.rpm.html

    That's great advice. I did that last night and it all installed
    without a hitch. I have some new apps this morning to play with
    and the yumex makes the packages and their descriptions much more
    visible and easier to work with. Thanks!

    --
    Regards,
    Fred.

  12. Re: Up2date not functioning with FC4

    On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:23:09 +0000, Fred Williams wrote:

    > On $DATE , General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:32:30 +0000, Mike Underwood wrote:
    >>
    >>> I did a Fresh install and my UP2DATE does not appear to be
    >>> working, or
    >>> else everything is up to date. I doubt that since Yum had
    >>> hundreds of
    >>> updates. My up2date is on and running, just never has any
    >>> updates.
    >>>
    >>> Mike

    >> UP2Date is a piece of crap, don't even bother to try and get it
    >> working. I've switched to yumex, it's vastly superior to up2date.
    >> I think they've included yumex as part of FC4, do a yum install
    >> yumex. If that doesn't work you can get the rpm from here,
    >>

    > http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat...oarch.rpm.html
    >
    > That's great advice. I did that last night and it all installed
    > without a hitch. I have some new apps this morning to play with
    > and the yumex makes the packages and their descriptions much more
    > visible and easier to work with. Thanks!

    I'm at a complete loss to explain why Redhat still uses up2date and hasn't
    substituted yumex or gyum as their standard updater. Up2date functions
    miserably as an updater and it lacks any facility for installing or
    removing packages.

+ Reply to Thread