RHE3, update 5 -> booting says X:0 in use - Redhat

This is a discussion on RHE3, update 5 -> booting says X:0 in use - Redhat ; Fresh install of Enterprise 3, update 5. Hardware -> HP XW6000, dual CPU, SATA. boot up the machine and received an error that Xserver X:0 in use, would you like to start X:1. After selecting yes, then GNOME login prompt ...

  1. RHE3, update 5 -> booting says X:0 in use

    Fresh install of Enterprise 3, update 5. Hardware ->
    HP XW6000, dual CPU, SATA.

    boot up the machine and received an error that Xserver
    X:0 in use, would you like to start X:1. After selecting
    yes, then GNOME login prompt is started. Able to login
    fine after that.

    Why can't we use X:0?

  2. Re: RHE3, update 5 -> booting says X:0 in use

    further info....

    f1 will display a command line login as expected. f7 through f10 show
    nothing but a blinking cursor in the up left corner.

    here's a temp fix until I figure out what's up with X0.

    our machines are defaulted to init 5. Logged on as root, brought it
    down to init 1, then went back to init 3. (Just to make sure everything
    was "killed" off).

    then, the user can issue: startx -- :1 &

    and his Gnome desktop comes up fine. If the users launches with
    startx -- :0 & It'll just "hang".

    I gotta find out what's hijacking :0. (vnc is not running at boot).

    grig wrote:
    > Fresh install of Enterprise 3, update 5. Hardware ->
    > HP XW6000, dual CPU, SATA.
    >
    > boot up the machine and received an error that Xserver
    > X:0 in use, would you like to start X:1. After selecting
    > yes, then GNOME login prompt is started. Able to login
    > fine after that.
    >
    > Why can't we use X:0?

  3. Re: RHE3, update 5 -> booting says X:0 in use

    Grig,
    I have a similar problem after upgrading Update 4 to Update 5. I
    managed a workaround by unistalling gdm-2.4.1.6-10 and installing
    gdm-2.4.1.6-5. I tried debug etc. but was unable to find the problem. A
    fresh install of Update 5 appears to work on the same hardware(Dell
    Opteron). Did you have any luck? I would prefer ti reinstall the
    current gdm if possible.
    Thanks,
    John Poole

    --