VMWare & RH8 - Redhat

This is a discussion on VMWare & RH8 - Redhat ; Hi, I'm experimenting with moving live RH8 boxes over to VMware GSX server to consolidate the amount of physical machines. After trying it on one box it initially just hung on booting with just GRUB displayed. I booted from the ...

  1. VMWare & RH8

    Hi,

    I'm experimenting with moving live RH8 boxes over to VMware GSX server to
    consolidate the amount of physical machines. After trying it on one box it
    initially just hung on booting with just GRUB displayed. I booted from the
    CD into rescue mode and fixed this by going into gruband typing root
    (hd0,0), then setup (hd0).

    Now RH starts to load but I'm getting this error:

    Mounting /proc filesystem

    Creating block devices

    VFS: Cannot open root device "LABEL=/" or 00:00

    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: VMWare & RH8

    Timah wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm experimenting with moving live RH8 boxes over to VMware GSX server to
    > consolidate the amount of physical machines.

    Moving them over how ? A fresh install ? Or are you trying to copy an
    existing machine to a VM ?

    > After trying it on one box it
    > initially just hung on booting with just GRUB displayed. I booted from the
    > CD into rescue mode and fixed this by going into gruband typing root
    > (hd0,0), then setup (hd0).

    IIRC, GSX emulates scsi disks...So the options for grub should probably
    use sd devices, not hd...

    > Now RH starts to load but I'm getting this error:
    >
    > Mounting /proc filesystem
    >
    > Creating block devices
    >
    > VFS: Cannot open root device "LABEL=/" or 00:00

    So it's trying to mount / on a device it can't find...While the machine
    is booting, watch the screen output for what devices it "sees", and make
    sure grub is configured to mount "/" on the correct device. Also, make
    sure you have support for the appropriate devices ( scsi controllers +
    disks ).

    > Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

    General advice :
    - Read all the documentation at
    http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/gsx_pubs.html

    - There is RH 8.0 specific notes at :
    http://www.vmware.com/support/guestn...0.html#1103068

    - Make sure your kernel will support the devices the gsx VM uses.

    - Read up on grub options

    - Read up on booting from scsi disks

    - Check the vmware knowledge base and newsgroups

    --
    - Matt -

+ Reply to Thread